Author Topic: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square  (Read 337012 times)

Re: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square
« Reply #475 on: 08 January, 2019, 06:02:22 pm »
Wow, great work @Ivo

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #476 on: 08 January, 2019, 11:00:57 pm »

My efforts seem quite lame compared to others. Maybe I'll use some of my training rides this year to join things up a bit:

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #477 on: 08 January, 2019, 11:24:58 pm »
Don't knock it, they're more impressive than mine...

« Reply #478 on: 09 January, 2019, 08:41:16 am »
lots of flat commuting

« Reply #479 on: 09 January, 2019, 09:40:39 am »
Some really good stats here - a lot of people only came to the game late, so 2019 should see some big increases.

@guixoticgeek ~5400 new tiles in a year is not pathetic at all  I am yet to break 2000 tiles in the 4 years I have been on Strava.  I think I need to add at least 1000 tiles this year, even if viewed as an investment for filling in gaps in the future

« Reply #480 on: 09 January, 2019, 10:32:10 am »
Completely agree, 5400 new tiles in a year is a huge number.  That's a lot of riding in new areas.

These are my stats.....
Eddington: 114 Miles

« Reply #481 on: 09 January, 2019, 11:08:10 am »
Ok, so my only 2018 stat worth mentioning is a cluster tile / km cycled value of 0.095   

displaying low hanging fruit weighting... ;)
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #482 on: 09 January, 2019, 08:29:08 pm »
OK, being as we're sharing.

2018 by The Pingus, on Flickr

« Reply #483 on: 10 January, 2019, 10:10:03 pm »
I filled in a big chunk of missing tiles between Harrow, Uxbridge and Denham, which has done nothing for my Max Square but has upped my 685 to 832 by connecting up to a load of tiles in the Thames valley.

Had a bit of an off riding on a necessary footpath between tiles - lost concentration, went off the edge of the narrow paved part and the Brompton wheels immediately dug into the wet mud.

On the plus side, gained a 4th Place Overall on a section of the Magic Roundabout at the Denham A40/M40 junction. Might go back and try for the KOM!

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
« Reply #484 on: 11 January, 2019, 10:10:44 pm »
YES 5400 new explorer tiles is huge well done. I couldn't compete with Lee K but tried hard, I love going to new places.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #485 on: 13 January, 2019, 05:38:46 pm »
A bit of creative trespassing today helped me bag a tile that has no public rights of way through it - the footpath just misses the tile, but I 'accidentally' turned off onto a private farm track and went far enough along it to enter the tile before I 'realised' my mistake...  :P

Still making slow progress otherwise - haven't been out on the bike yet this year aside from short commuting trips...  :'(
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #486 on: 14 January, 2019, 10:20:41 am »
Very slow progress here! Some squares close to me are inaccessible, not being able to walk far...

Current paltry status:

Max square 12x12   Up from 10x10 on 1st Jan.
Max Cluster: 256

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #487 on: 17 January, 2019, 11:53:27 pm »

Been playing around with routes and maps, and I think the max square that I can get is 59x59, before I hit up against the army training ground at Infanterie Schietkamp Harskamp. But This requires kayaking for 4 tiles between Flevopolder and the mainland. After that I think I'll just have to target my cluster instead.

Did a couple of rides last weekend filling in a couple of blanks, Have increased my cluster upto 281, but no difference as yet to my square. Am pondering a 200k diy audax to fill in a big chunk of blanks, partly as I need to do my RRtY for January.

I got me some cycling to do!

J
--

« Reply #488 on: 18 January, 2019, 12:40:34 am »
I've come up with a target of filling in the M25, which doesn't directly help my square, my cluster or my lungs, but it will look nice.

Today I completely the north west quadrant, with a zig zag route between Denham and Watford and crossing the M25 eight times.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #489 on: 18 January, 2019, 08:47:27 am »
If you draw up or import a route in the Strava planner (which is available on the free version), you can then check it in the Routes tab on Veloviewer to see the new tiles which it will give you :)

Example - https://photos.app.goo.gl/8ydFzuYkFbqYv87m7
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

« Reply #490 on: 18 January, 2019, 09:26:00 am »
If you draw up or import a route in the Strava planner (which is available on the free version), you can then check it in the Routes tab on Veloviewer to see the new tiles which it will give you :)

Very useful tip, thank you  :thumbsup:

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #491 on: 18 January, 2019, 09:47:19 am »

There is a veloviewer chrome extension that overlays your tiles in the Strava route planner. Makes planning very easy.

J
--

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #492 on: 18 January, 2019, 11:17:43 am »
That's even better, many thanks.

Instructions here if anyone else needs it https://blog.veloviewer.com/veloviewer-chrome-extension-for-strava-website/
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

« Reply #493 on: 18 January, 2019, 11:25:13 am »
There’s also a Veloviewer companion app for Android, although beware it has the most terrible “is it doing anything?” user interface.

Also beware that although it has a track recording function it doesn’t seem to have an export/upload function, so you’d better be recording it on something else.

But when it’s working, super useful for checking which squares you need and whether youve crossed the boundary.

« Reply #494 on: 18 January, 2019, 11:48:25 am »
I've come up with a target of filling in the M25, which doesn't directly help my square, my cluster or my lungs, but it will look nice.

Today I completely the north west quadrant, with a zig zag route between Denham and Watford and crossing the M25 eight times.

We can swap notes then, I've done the SW quadrant.

(Not sure if you can view this: https://veloviewer.com/athlete/2417073/activities I think I made my stuff public)

Ah, that may be a suitable first major goal: cover all tiles within the M25.

Hoping to get out again on Monday to fill in the segment around Caterham.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #495 on: 18 January, 2019, 11:53:32 am »
By chance I've just done a route for Caterham, do you want it?
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #496 on: 18 January, 2019, 12:18:13 pm »
There’s also a Veloviewer companion app for Android, although beware it has the most terrible “is it doing anything?” user interface.

Also beware that although it has a track recording function it doesn’t seem to have an export/upload function, so you’d better be recording it on something else.

But when it’s working, super useful for checking which squares you need and whether youve crossed the boundary.

Be aware that the GPS on your phone may not match the position of your wahoo/garmin. So even tho it claims you are just over the boundary into the tile, you're not. This has bitten me on the arse once. Had to go out again to get one tile that the app said I was in, but wahoo said no. Now I always go into a tile by a good 100m or so, just to be sure.

J
--

« Reply #497 on: 18 January, 2019, 12:49:19 pm »
By chance I've just done a route for Caterham, do you want it?

Thanks but I've got mine sorted as I have to visit a specific set of tiles and time is limited between dropping off my daughter at school and being there to pick her up.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #498 on: 18 January, 2019, 12:50:07 pm »
It can be worth - belt and braces wise - to set your phone's Strava App to record a short walk if you're really wanting to make certain you've captured a square. I'm my most recent "box of chocolates" trip into someone's back garden I was recording on three different devices just in case, and I uploaded one before I went home.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #499 on: 18 January, 2019, 01:03:38 pm »
It can be worth - belt and braces wise - to set your phone's Strava App to record a short walk if you're really wanting to make certain you've captured a square. I'm my most recent "box of chocolates" trip into someone's back garden I was recording on three different devices just in case, and I uploaded one before I went home.

I have my Inreach+ recording when I'm tile bagging, as a backup... Not paranoid... honest...

J
--