Author Topic: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square  (Read 337047 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square
« Reply #525 on: 30 January, 2019, 01:24:49 pm »
I certainly find the explorer score more interesting in cycling terms.  I'd much rather ride to new places than spend my time colouring in the Wet Midlands.

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #526 on: 30 January, 2019, 01:29:49 pm »
I think the leaderboards on VeloViewer demonstrate that we (yacf) feel the same way... exploring seems more preferable to colouring-in. I can see 69 'yacf' club members on the VeloViewer leaderboard...

I'm 21st for max square
22nd for max cluster...
but I'm 34th for explorer score... (today)

It's time I started going new places!
:)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #527 on: 30 January, 2019, 01:44:22 pm »
I certainly find the explorer score more interesting in cycling terms.  I'd much rather ride to new places than spend my time colouring in the Wet Midlands.

For me what's happened is two fold:

a) I've done lots of trips that have left small gaps that I can fill in by either a specifically targetted ride, or by taking a parallel road on a planned bike ride, or like the tile I got on Saturday's audax, by a short ~500m diversion.

b) I wanna go for a ride but I'm bored of the same old roads, where can I go that I've not been before? ooh, I could go here and bag these tiles.

My explorer score is quite high compared to both my cluster and my max square, because I have done things like my long trip to Hell. All being well, TCR should have a similar impact for me this year too. There are many metrics that can be used to compare how people ride using the veloviewer tiles. max square, max cluster, explorer score, or even ratios of the two. What's the ratio between your square, and your explorer score? For the cluster, what is the width/height ratio like?

Pick your metric, see where it drives you...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #528 on: 30 January, 2019, 01:53:14 pm »
I think the leaderboards on VeloViewer demonstrate that we (yacf) feel the same way... exploring seems more preferable to colouring-in. I can see 69 'yacf' club members on the VeloViewer leaderboard...

I'm 21st for max square
22nd for max cluster...

Deans reaction to me moving to Canada was "Ah, there's lots of new squares there".

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #529 on: 30 January, 2019, 02:31:50 pm »

Yes, I like the fact that I have an unbroken line from Land's End to John O'Groats. Looking at the map overall also reminds me of other rides I've done to more exotic places. Which is nice.

But I also like the game element of filling in tiles to expand my max cluster and max square. And like QG, I find it's a good excuse to explore local routes that I don't usually ride rather than just do the same old boring roads again - sometimes it only serves to remind myself of why I tend to stick to the usual routes, other times it has revealed some wonderful roads that are on my doorstep but I never knew about before. It's also a good excuse to go down some dead ends that I wouldn't normally have a reason to explore.

For the parts that are less accessible by bike, it is also a good excuse to take the dog on long and interesting walks.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #530 on: 30 January, 2019, 02:38:40 pm »
This is how the UK looks for me:

Clearly I need to do more riding in Wales. Yorkshire also looks a bit barren but all my riding there was done in pre-GPS days.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Graeme

• Graeme's Blog
« Reply #531 on: 30 January, 2019, 03:38:51 pm »
That's so funny! My map seems to be all the places you haven't got a gps record for...

« Reply #532 on: 30 January, 2019, 03:47:32 pm »
Partly a function of how your time is available for bike rides, I think.  If you can get out regularly but only for a few hours then you can fill in a cluster pretty well.  On the other hand if you get out for a full day once per month then you're going to cover new ground rather than determinedly filling a local box.  My availability tends to go straight from one to the other - either I have two hours max, or a whole day available.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #533 on: 30 January, 2019, 05:11:09 pm »
My availability tends to go straight from one to the other - either I have two hours max, or a whole day available.

This.  Plus when it's cold and miserable I tend to suffer a sense of humour failure after a couple of hours.  Hence my map ends up like this:

(I reckon http://www.jonathanokeeffe.com/strava/map.php gives a better coloured heatmap though VeloViewer's map is more usefully interactive.)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #534 on: 30 January, 2019, 06:21:09 pm »
Mine looks something like this:

I've got a nice clump in the Netherlands, but things like my festive 500 attempt to Leipzig, and my trip to Hell, have pushed the tile count up, while adding nothing to cluster nor square. In Belgium I've got 3 clumps that are not yet connected. There's the Gent clump, Brussels clump, and the Maastricht clump.

J
--

« Reply #535 on: 30 January, 2019, 06:30:22 pm »
I don't do touring. Can you tell?

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #536 on: 30 January, 2019, 06:31:29 pm »
I don't do touring. Can you tell?

And what exactly is wrong with the Netherlands ? :p

J
--

Graeme

• Graeme's Blog
« Reply #537 on: 30 January, 2019, 06:32:07 pm »
Lol. The BoB ride looks like it does what it says on the tin. That's some exploring young lady.

Graeme

• Graeme's Blog
« Reply #538 on: 30 January, 2019, 06:34:04 pm »
Our heatmaps appear look like a toddler's attempt to color in a map. #smallhands #crayola

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #539 on: 30 January, 2019, 06:35:12 pm »
Our heatmaps appear look like a toddler's attempt to color in a map.

That's what they are, only we're using the road network and a rather extravagant "pen", rather than a printed map and some crayons...

J
--

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #540 on: 30 January, 2019, 06:38:54 pm »
I reckon http://www.jonathanokeeffe.com/strava/map.php gives a better coloured heatmap though VeloViewer's map is more usefully interactive.

Just tried that; it took a fair while to chunder through over 1000 activities, but I do like it...

Heatmap by Ron Lowe, on Flickr

Several well known Audax routes on there.
Off the top of my head, I can spot:

Snow Roads 300
Deeside Loop 200
Golden Roads & Standing Stones 300
Twilight 600
NW Highlands 1000
ToEL 100
Easter Arrows to York 400
Pendle 600
BCM600
Mersey Roads 24
A multitude of local DIYs

« Reply #541 on: 30 January, 2019, 06:41:04 pm »

J
:D
If you zoom enough you'll see I visited Aardenburg & Sluis. I did at least 5km in the Netherlands :D

I should add that I have ridden in Kent. Just not much, and I didn't have the GPS on. Not that London though. *shudder*

« Reply #542 on: 30 January, 2019, 06:44:26 pm »
Ignoring the properly foreign rides:

I am having a break from Wales this year (apart from TINAT) and have my crayon poised over some new bits.

« Reply #543 on: 30 January, 2019, 06:47:54 pm »
I have just noticed that there is now a 'Show Zwift maps' button on Veloviewer.

I guess people will be collecting virtual virtual tiles now.   ::-)

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #544 on: 30 January, 2019, 07:10:38 pm »
And here's mine. I need to do FurryBootToon-Embra and FurryBootToon-Dingwall at some point

heat_map_190130 by The Pingus, on Flickr

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #545 on: 30 January, 2019, 07:43:09 pm »

J
:D
If you zoom enough you'll see I visited Aardenburg & Sluis. I did at least 5km in the Netherlands :D

I should add that I have ridden in Kent. Just not much, and I didn't have the GPS on. Not that London though. *shudder*

You also appear to have successfully avoided Birmingham, which is like a worse version of London.   :thumbsup:

It's Belgium that I appear to have trouble with.  I've also subconsciously limited my intake of East Angular and the Tesco Value County of Lincolnshire.

« Reply #546 on: 30 January, 2019, 08:02:50 pm »
If we're playing this game:-

Almost all connected together except:-
* Midlander Super Grimpeur 300 is all on its own
* Mersey Roads 24 doesn't quite connect to the Snowdon and Coast 400 that passes below it near Shrewsbury: http://www.greenbank.org/misc/heatmap_notconnected_20171015.png
* The small bit on its own down in Cornwall is a run

Other rides that stand out to me are: LEL, BCM 600, Border Raid DNF at Galashiels, Elenith, K&SW 600, Dunwich Dynamo.

The rest (various Chalfont, Henham and SE rides) just get mangled into one. You can see it won't take much to have a cluster stretching from Reading-ish across to London and then up to Cambridgeshire. I think I can get the cluster out to Tewkesbury with just one relatively straight forward (i.e. not convoluted) ride too.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #547 on: 30 January, 2019, 09:53:02 pm »
The distance between the two furthest points in your cluster is also something interesting to check. That gives also an impresion about your exploring qualities.

Is that a VeloViewer metric? (Goes off to find out)

No, but on a Dutch forum we do keep track of it ourselves.

"Google-walking" distance or "Crow-flies" distance?

• Kirmington (Northern Lincolnshire) to Marton-le-Moor (Ripon), google gives me 108km walking.
  • Kirmington is 51 tiles east of Marton-le-Moor and 43 tiles south... making the hypotenuse 66.7km long.

(Using the https://www.omnicalculator.com/math/hypotenuse OmniCalculator (because I've lost my book of trigonometric tables)...)

On the Dutch forum it's Google maps walking distance.

Mine is currently Utrecht Overvecht – Desnie   217km

« Reply #548 on: 30 January, 2019, 10:04:28 pm »

I'm 21st for max square
22nd for max cluster...

Exploring is indeed more something for me as well, the only score where I can keep up with the big boys.

Although when checking for YACF, I'm 1st for cluster, 2nd for explorer score and 'only' 6th for max square.

My heatmap tells the exploring area's:

I should have started using a GPS earlier, I still miss a lot of touring tracks.

« Reply #549 on: 31 January, 2019, 10:26:17 am »
Where is the YACF leaderboard please folks?

I can't find it  :)