Author Topic: Wind powered refrigerator  (Read 1514 times)

Wind powered refrigerator
« on: 05 July, 2008, 02:42:26 pm »
Some years ago I remember seeing a programme on TV where they challenged a bunch of scientists to design odd things. One of the challenges was a beer cooler that ran for free.

As far as I remember the actual device ended up with a tall finned tube leading to a stubby box. I seem to remember that the way it worked was to allow the beer to act as a heat pump and then refrigerant (which I think was dilute alcohol) was allowed to evaporate up the tube, being cooled by the fins at it went until it condensed at the top and ran down.

I seem to remember it succeeded in producing very cold beer with no moving parts and no heat source or forced pumping.

Am I dreaming? does such a thing exist?

Chris S

Re: Wind powered refrigerator
« Reply #1 on: 05 July, 2008, 02:54:18 pm »
There's the old Pot in Pot method that relies on evaporation:

Desert Refrigerator Power Free Cooling - Energy Efficiency

Works very well in dry countries - but doesn't work when it's humid as it'll only cool to the dew point. In desert air, the dew point could easily be 5c against a temperature of 30c or more. Of course, the evaporation rate is very high, so lots of water is required then.

andym

• Expat Cyclist
    • AndysRockets
« Reply #2 on: 05 July, 2008, 04:10:51 pm »
Rough Science?  they certainly did a refrigerator in one episode, but I don't recall the details.

From the description, it sounds like a heatpipe, which makes use of pretty much every thermal property there is. Refrigerant could be meths?
AndyM

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #3 on: 05 July, 2008, 04:40:27 pm »
lots of water is required then.
You can use mucky and/or salt water though.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #4 on: 05 July, 2008, 07:40:39 pm »
lots of water is required then.
You can use mucky and/or salt water though.

I've drunk an acceptably (and to me, surprisingly) chilly can of lager in the Sahara, chilled by wrapping it in a teatowel soaked in waters of the Niger.

I also saw the glistening goatskin water-container of a chamelier. It was explained to us that the goatskin is porous, and small amount of evaporating water kept his drinking water cool inside.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur