Author Topic: The computing stuff rant thread  (Read 409592 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: The computing stuff rant thread
« Reply #3275 on: 30 April, 2024, 12:40:18 pm »
Absolutely top notch case of gremlins last night.  Noticed the smart lamp socket blinking its notwork error blinkenlight as I went to bed, and it all went downhill from there.

Several hours of trial and error later, and I'd determined:

- Proxmox hypervisor's ethernet timing out and getting bounced was almost certainly a symptom of something else.  Connectivity to all the VMs (including useful things like DNS and syslog) flapping didn't make for harmounious troubleshooting.
- DHCP only seeming to work on the primary VLAN with the servers and trusted linux boxen was a big part of the issue.  (For historical reasons, this one is connected to its own non-VLAN-aware switch port, which may be a Clue.)
- On further investigation, it appeared that the wireless-stuff and internet-of-shit VLAN interfaces on pfsense were actually unreachable, even if IPs were configured statically.
- Random VLAN-related nonsense makes me suspect the ageing Procurve switch, which gets power-cycled to no effect.  Did the downstairs one for good measure.
- Backup ageing Procurve swapped in and power-cycled until it boots.  No improvement.
- Turning my attention back to pfsense, it becomes evident through a lot of trial and error that the unreachable interfaces are briefly reachable on bootup, until the DHCP server starts processing requests.
- ifdown/ifup-ing the physical interface brings them back, and with the DHCP server disabled, they appear to stay up.  Statically configure a few things and note that the internet-of-shit stuff seems okay, but the wirless stuff is cursed.
- Establish to a reasonable degree of confidence that the Proxmox connectivity issue doesn't occur while in this state.  (I have a second Proxmox node on frankenputer hardware, and by migrating VMs around and experiencing the same problem on both nodes am reasonably confident this isn't a hardware issue.)
- Decide that WiFi problems might be complicated by the Unifi access point(s) lacking connectivity due to DHCP failure, so leave that to one side.
- Hack away at the interfaces config in pfsense, putting the three main VLANS on their own physical interfaces.
- Re-enable DHCP, note that some of the internet-of-shit stuff is managing to request an address without the interface becoming unreachable.
- Power-cycle the access points, note wireless-VLAN stuff is now successfully DHCPing, and a fuckload of wireless internet_of_shit devices suddenly reconnect as well.
- Decide that since barakta needs her $ork laptop to give a training session over Teams in a few hours, to quit while we have a mostly functional network.
- Bring assorted VMs (on various VLANS) back up on the primary Proxmox machine to see what happens.  They DHCP successfully and everything just works.  Do some ping -f and fling some large files around to generate network traffic, not a timeout in sight.

So yeah.  Fuck knows.

Working theory with the Proxmox side of things is that if enough containers/VMs are trying and failing to do DHCP on the same bridge at the same time will somehow hang the interface, perhaps by filling up a buffer or something?

Prime suspect is currently the pfsense box, on general principle.  It all going weirdly wrong late at night makes me think it could be an intermittent hardware issue (it's one of those apu2 boards, so not much scope for swapping hardware, though I suppose it could run in a VM).

Though I'm also aware that what actually seemed to clear the problem was power-cycling the access point.  Maybe it had got wedged somehow?

Once barakta doesn't need the network, I'm going to try restoring the pfsense and switch config and see what happens.

This is all deeply suboptimal, as I'm supposed to be off for a week of cycle touring tomorrow...

« Reply #3276 on: 30 April, 2024, 12:52:17 pm »
Yesterday a colleague has a failed laptop battery and had to use one of the spare desktops in the office. It then generated a "User Profile Service service timed out, unable to upload the user profile" error. So I tried and got the same error. I raised a helpdesk ticket thinking it would need a prod from the local IT resource but instead got a call from India.

Turn the PC off, reboot it and problem solved. I should have tried that old windows fix much earlier.  :facepalm:

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #3277 on: 07 May, 2024, 11:06:27 am »
No internet again. Typing this on phone. Slowly. FUMMIN'
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3278 on: 08 May, 2024, 02:59:18 pm »
Absolutely top notch case of gremlins last night.

Happened again while I was away.  Killed the Unifi controller container on a whim, which may or may not have helped.

Restored the original pfsense/switch config this morning, and for a while saw a similar DHCP problem (with all the unifi stuff shut down) that was resolved by kicking unbound on the pfsense box.  I've decided I'm too old for this shit and have pushed the button on a FB2900.  A decision that I'm unlikely to regret once my bank account has recovered.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #3279 on: 08 May, 2024, 10:24:46 pm »
Ah, welcome to the club.

They basically *just work*, and are small appliance-size devices versus a PC-size device.

A cheaper option might have been a microtik thing which gets a lot of coverage on the AAISP IRC chat, but I have no knowledge of them.
I have a pair of FB2700s, and do have some knowledge of their config, in as far as it applies to my network...

chopstick

• aka "freiston" in other places
« Reply #3280 on: 10 May, 2024, 12:04:13 am »
This time it's effing Android that's peeing me off.  They've locked in file access so much that I have no control over my own phone.  I used to copy gpx files over to my phone from the pc so that I could load them into Osmand.  Now I cannot access/copy & paste to/from the folders that Osmand can read, either on the pc or on the phone but I can copy the files over to another folder then whilst in Osmand, import them from the other folder.

Not sure what went on but I used to be able to copy gpx files over from my phone to my Garmin "New Files" folder using an "on the fly" (USB C to USB A female) adapter and a USB A to micro USB lead - meaning that I didn't need a data signal (to upload it to Garmin Connect and then sync to my Garmin device) to get a course onto my Garmin.  I couldn't do that tonight either.  As it happens, I'm at home and have a data signal but I do like to try these things periodically so that when I'm in the middle of nowhere without a data signal, I can still get courses onto my Garmin.  Now I can't  >:(

« Reply #3281 on: 10 May, 2024, 07:48:55 am »
I use apple so this may not work. If you have a file in Garmin connect then syncing your Garmin with the phone with Bluetooth will copy it.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #3282 on: 10 May, 2024, 08:53:41 am »
Have you tried putting the phone into developer mode?  Instructions for this seem to vary according to flavour of Android and phone manufacturer but a famous web search engine should unearth the details.  No idea whether this will work but worth a try.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3283 on: 10 May, 2024, 12:07:11 pm »
Ah, welcome to the club.

They basically *just work*, and are small appliance-size devices versus a PC-size device.

A cheaper option might have been a microtik thing which gets a lot of coverage on the AAISP IRC chat, but I have no knowledge of them.
I have a pair of FB2700s, and do have some knowledge of their config, in as far as it applies to my network...

And it's arrived.  I've done the IKEA bit and powered it up to prove that it works, but getting my head round the config (and, no doubt, writing some sort of script to convert a zillion startic DHCP allocations from pfsense) is an exercise for when I'm not loitering within tent.

The PCEngines board I'm running pfsense on scores fairly highly on 'network appliance' - I've got it in a neat 1U case with a big lump of aluminium for passive heat dissipation.  Power consumption is undoubtedly higher than FireBrick, but a lot less than a full PC.  It's just the software that's terrible.

I did consider the Microtik RouterBOARD and Ubiquiti EdgeRouter, but to my mind pfSense/OPNSense is a janky collection of open-source tools that I do at least have some familiarity with, and FireBrick is a whole new platform (and associated learning curve) that's pretty much guaranteed to Just Work in an AAISP environment[1], and the others will inevitably combine the disadvantages of both.

[1] Bringing up a backup L2TP link only when the primary AAISP connection is down would appear to be a sticking point- pfsense can't do it properly.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #3284 on: 10 May, 2024, 02:10:32 pm »
At work, most of the discussion with clients relating to ongoing jobs is via email, so I pin the threads in Outlook to avoid losing them (easily done, as anyone who is forced to use Outlook for work will know).

There's one thread relating to a job I finished several months ago but no matter how many times I unpin it, it keeps reappearing in the pinned section.

It's driving me mad. Just fuck off already!
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #3285 on: 10 May, 2024, 04:19:32 pm »
I use apple so this may not work. If you have a file in Garmin connect then syncing your Garmin with the phone with Bluetooth will copy it.
But Garmin Connect app won't sync unless you have an internet connection.
Garmin Explore app can be useful, if it supports your device. It should work offline, including maps and transferring routes etc.

« Reply #3286 on: 10 May, 2024, 05:18:48 pm »
But Garmin Connect app won't sync unless you have an internet connection.
Garmin Explore app can be useful, if it supports your device. It should work offline, including maps and transferring routes etc.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #3287 on: 12 May, 2024, 11:53:09 am »
O hai Macrium!

You’re supposed to delete the oldest backups when disk space gets low, so wot the blazes were those sets from November 2023 and January 2024 doing still hanging around \\FATBOY\public\Backups?  Frankly that’s the kind of thing I expect from the useless workshy twats at Acronis.

<tappity-tap clicky>

Now I have an extra 2 anna bit TB to fill with exciting Stuffs :thumbsup:

sort it out u muppets

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3288 on: 13 May, 2024, 12:29:56 pm »
Overheard just now:

Quote from: barakta
ARE YOU SERIOUSLY TELLING ME I CAN'T DO ANY FUCKING WORK WHILE YOU FAIL TO ACROBAT!?!

Updates are going well, then...

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #3289 on: 13 May, 2024, 07:21:44 pm »
Acrobat installer insisted I close all of MS Office or Teams while it took its sweet time to install.

This was after Lenovo's software updater tool didn't just do its "I am shutting down in 5 mins" countdown, it just stole focus 5 times after being started off (stopping me typing/working, disrupting the thing in my brain) but then just unilaterally shut my machine down at random. I managed to halt it, save my work but then had to RERUN the installer and sit there hitting next and watching it focus-steal and then shut down. A further 15+ mins interruption to my work.

It's the theft of executive function by shitty updater tools which BOILS MY PISS. I have a job to do, am trying to work. Every interrupt deletes things I am thinking out of my brain and I'm now scared Lenovo will unilaterally deboot my machine while I'm in a meeting or something time critical.

Linux never demands I reboot NOW. It tells me "Oh hai, FOO needs a reboot whenever you're ready" and it doesn't go unstable and crashy when there's an update awaiting a reboot which my work machine also does frequently.

chopstick

• aka "freiston" in other places
« Reply #3290 on: 13 May, 2024, 10:01:38 pm »
I'm a relatively naive tech user that has been using Linux at home for over a decade but have used Windoze or iphone (which I hate*) at work (except for a limited use of a DOS terminal on a mainframe back in the mid 80s) I understand your pain.

* I'm not a fan of Android either but privacy issues aside, I prefer it as a user to iOS.  Android gets more shitty as the years go by.