Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3901011 times)

Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #24600 on: 30 May, 2021, 11:35:49 pm »
Nikki, do they still have butterflies in the Ashton Memorial (did my PGCE at Lancaster)?

My ride was quite a roller-coaster, physically and emotionally.  A pupil I haven't seen for years came back to his home for the BH break and we arranged to meet.  His childhood home is about seven miles from me and up some "scenic" roads, ones I haven't tried since I was diagnosed with AF.  But I got up, even on the heavy bike (which has a better stance for looking at the views).  I got up easily, which was satisfying but the main emotions came from having to resist the temptation to give him a great big, COVID-ignoring hug.  He was a favourite pupil, but caution is all, this close to Bolton.  There'll be other days.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #24601 on: 30 May, 2021, 11:45:14 pm »

Wondering if washing machines are the Lancastrian equivalent of Silly Oak's famous fridges...

« Reply #24602 on: 31 May, 2021, 08:24:05 am »
Nikki, do they still have butterflies in the Ashton Memorial (did my PGCE at Lancaster)?

Yes! (Although the butterfly house and mini zoo are all closed to the public at the moment.)

« Reply #24603 on: 31 May, 2021, 09:56:53 am »
Thanks, Nikki.  I've just noticed on the modern OS map that they indicate the Butterfly House!  Shocked to realise that my last visit to Lancaster was seven years ago with Deano, Steve GT and Graeme of this parish.  We were crossing south to North on the way to Carnforth and I remember thinking that the motorist-signs were disproportionately larger than the ones for the cycle routes (aren't they always?).  I found it quite hairy just on the North of town trying to stay with the A6.  Town itself was fine.  I like your route.  The next trick is to devise something similar but involving only left-turns!

Peter

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #24604 on: 31 May, 2021, 01:17:10 pm »
Set out Wiltshire-wards, explored a new way to get to Paven Hill – except I then didn't go to Paven Hill (and I'm not sure if it's Paven Hill or Pavenhill) – bypassing Malmesbury but taking in several woods, bridleways, a Gingerbread House (where the witch has been replaced by the Forestry Commission), picnic in a field, a signpost with hands, followed by a B-road blast back home and a visit to an abandoned (slightly spooky) quarry. Didn't turn the Garmin on so the only statistic I can give is the most important and also most shocking one; cups of tea consumed: zero.  :o

Gingerbread House
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #24605 on: 31 May, 2021, 01:21:11 pm »
43 miles to Malmesbury and back.  Very chilly start, warm finish.  Fed a part-albino blackbird at the abbey. 

Cudzo - you might have seen us!  I was on an ancient turquoise Holdsworth with orange and blue Holdsworth cycling kit.  Sam was on a touring bike with a red jersey.  We were not riding fast.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #24606 on: 31 May, 2021, 02:18:43 pm »
Don't think I saw anyone in Holdsworth jersey. Anyway I'd probably have recognised you, unless you were in the distance.

Ed: I was in a YACF jersey so you'd have noticed me.

« Reply #24607 on: 31 May, 2021, 06:24:07 pm »
I rode to the pub and then home - it was about 7-8km, I think. It was sunny and given I did TransEngland on Friday/Saturday it was all I fancied doing today.

« Reply #24608 on: 31 May, 2021, 09:22:17 pm »
Two circuits, jubilee River, Burnham beechs, Black Park on Saturday and Sunday with apollo and a trip to decathlon with apollo to buy him some cycle shorts. This evening I rode a Beaconsfield circuit on my own on the sun ez3. Lovely warm days for cycling 🌞
the slower you go the more you see

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #24609 on: 31 May, 2021, 11:37:47 pm »
43 miles to Malmesbury and back.  Very chilly start, warm finish.  Fed a part-albino blackbird at the abbey. 

Cudzo - you might have seen us!  I was on an ancient turquoise Holdsworth with orange and blue Holdsworth cycling kit.  Sam was on a touring bike with a red jersey.  We were not riding fast.
According to my Young Lady these are called Leucistic.  Malmesbury Abbey has the grave of someone who got killed by a tiger.

There, two facts, free of charge.

There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #24610 on: 01 June, 2021, 03:22:01 pm »
Photos from my Fosse Way mini-tour.

Thursday evening, after work:

Somerset & Dorset Joint Railway, Shilllingstone Station

50.0 km

Day 2:

Route loaded for Leicester

Joining the Fosse Way at Podimore.

Where I spent the first 15 months of my life.

City of my birth.

Lunch!

Mandatory bridge photo

Sat in Gloucestershire, Somerset, and Wiltshire. At the same time!

Better known to me as Botley Road, Oxford. Also, 420, titter titter.

Motorway antics. I pushed past the first sign, curious whether there'd be any further signage. There was, to my surprise.

Country road and gravel.

Including a surprise encounter with GCN's Conor and Manon!

Snuck into Warwick Services on the M40 through the back entrance, which is where I finished. I actually felt quite good, but pushing the 40 miles to Leicester in the dark would have concerned my support crew.

I felt like death on the morning, of course, and it was too late to tackle the A46 towards Lincoln, and then York. And being a bank holiday, I didn't fancy my planned alternative route through the Peak District including good sections of the A6.

« Reply #24611 on: 01 June, 2021, 03:34:00 pm »
I very sunny ride to Papermill Lock to meet the FortyPlus, Southend section.
Had an excellent trip only marred by the temporary traffic lights half way down the great North Hill! I was going at a cracking pace too and had to brake almost to a standstill before they changed. Still the fastest section was still to come and I just let gravity take over.  ;D

Vegan Bakewell tart provided the fuel for the trip home.  :thumbsup:

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #24612 on: 01 June, 2021, 03:57:14 pm »

Sat in Gloucestershire, Somerset, and Wiltshire. At the same time!
Somewhere on a much earlier page of this thread there's a photo of me standing on top of the Three Shires Stone – and then having difficulty climbing down! Sitting in it seems a much wiser alternative.

« Reply #24613 on: 01 June, 2021, 05:55:40 pm »
My first outdoor ride this year :o

On the British Eagle. I thought it would be interesting to see how I got on compared to Zwifting.

Of course I was immediately reminded that Zwift is cycling nirvana from which so many of the evils of the real world are absent. Suddenly I had traffic, potholes, headwinds and the full on pain of every climb. I also had to steer! Much as I like my bike, it’s not the Zwift concept Z1 challenge.

As it happens Strava tells me my ride, York to Cawood was 47.33km with 118m height gain. It took me 1hr 51mins at an average speed of 25.5, using 1303 calories to do 175watts average.  Pretty much in line with Zwift stats on such a ride. It’s due only to the added mental effort I though it was significantly harder than Zwift but I think Zwift statistics might allow something for that.

Now I just have to get those tan lines back..
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #24614 on: 01 June, 2021, 07:55:38 pm »
Decided to knock off early and nip out for a bit this afternoon. Rolled up through Polegate and through the woods to the picnic area at Abbot's Wood. Had a beer in the sun and then pootled back again.

Got flagged down by a cyclist coming back through Polegate. I assumed at first for a mechanical or directions but no - it was PerpetualDan OTP who had spotted my YACF jersey. Nice to meet you Dan!

What's really weird is someone else spotted the jersey on my ride on Sunday and introduced themselves. I think he said his name on here was Pip but he was past and gone pretty quickly.

I haven't met anyone from the forums in years and then two in as many rides. Very peculiar.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #24615 on: 01 June, 2021, 08:02:36 pm »
I had a hot afternoon out on the South Downs, up from Southease to Firle Beacon, veering off the South Downs Way to Litlington. Then through Friston Forest. By which time I was feeling the hills and heat. So I headed up another big hill and over to Willingdon and Polegate. Here I found water and ice cream, which were both very welcome. I also spotted a yacf jersey, which it turned out was occupied by Ashaman42 - hello!

At this point I ought to have cycled home. But I decided that  getting home sooner was a good idea, also the roads were getting a bit busy and the last bit of lanes weren’t going to add much to my day. There was a train in 10 minutes so I got a ticket.

The train’s computer broke just outside the station. A reboot didn’t help. A 12 minute short cut eventually took an hour! It was still a good 4 hours out and mostly off road.

« Reply #24616 on: 02 June, 2021, 03:58:26 pm »
Hot hot ride to a pub for lunch in Fen Drayton approx 35 miles. Enjoyed the ride but cramping like a good un when back home despite copious hydration (non alcoholic). Sigh. Too many pies during lockdown I guess. I must say that some of the new cyclepathways adjacent to the A14 replacement are rather spendid as is the new pedestrian/cycle suspension bridge. Lets hope they maintain them properly. Roads and lanes very busy with some rat running to avoid backups on main routes due to spillage blockage. Many cyclists enjoying the sun however.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #24617 on: 02 June, 2021, 06:17:02 pm »
#1 son (11) is targeting his scouts cycling badge, which requires a 25 mile ride.  So today we did 12-15, Birmingham blue route to town and Rea Valley (NCN 5) back. 
My son forgot which way round his gears shift, so stayed in the same gear for the whole ride.  I only noticed on the final hill home* when I wondered why he was in middle gear  :facepalm:.  Impressive as we started with decent hill**.
Only noteworthy even was cycling through Birmingham's gay quarter flying a rainbow flag on my trike.  Only got the one comment, but it was early in the am.
(click to show/hide)
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #24618 on: 02 June, 2021, 08:29:39 pm »
First >100km ride of the year, which says something about the intersection of weather and my cycling mojo.

There was plenty of weather, and it turns out just enough mojo.

Discovered that the cycle route through the Wyre Forest is good quality hardpack, and that you can't see the Dick Brook enter Joan's Hole from the road, because it's hidden by bushes.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #24619 on: 03 June, 2021, 09:58:17 am »
Snap! I managed my first ride of >100k yesterday too, and was idiot enough to plot it via the toughest climb I know in the area, with the result that when I stopped for coffee at 75k I was already knackered and still ~40k from home. Chuffed that I didn't feel cramp coming on until the last hill, and managed to conjure it without getting off.  Hell of a sunburn, too: 24°C ave & 29° max.

Brain dead today.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #24620 on: 03 June, 2021, 11:47:32 am »
First >100km ride of the year, which says something about the intersection of weather and my cycling mojo.

Discovered that the cycle route through the Wyre Forest is good quality hardpack, and that you can't see the Dick Brook enter Joan's Hole from the road, because it's hidden by bushes.
Did you ride out to Wyre Forest?  I noticed it's not far from Bromsgrove and therefore pleasant &/but meandering NCN5 (and train station). The hills must be something on the way back though. 
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #24621 on: 03 June, 2021, 12:00:02 pm »

Did you ride out to Wyre Forest?  I noticed it's not far from Bromsgrove and therefore pleasant &/but meandering NCN5 (and train station). The hills must be something on the way back though.

I took the direct up-and-over route via Northfield, the Waseley hills, Bellbroughton, through Kidderminster and Bewdley.  Up through the Wyre Forest, then wiggled down to Stanford Bridge for tilebagging purposes, then back via Stourport, Harltebury, Chaddesley Corbett and rejoined my outward route at Bellbroughton.

The hills were something most of the way, tbh.  I think it would have qualified for AAA points.

« Reply #24622 on: 03 June, 2021, 06:45:46 pm »
Just out to Abbot's Wood and back again. It's become a regular little route.

I appear to have gained a bug bite on my lips though which is maddening.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #24623 on: 04 June, 2021, 11:39:11 pm »
We rode to the Buxton Brewery Taphouse on an industrial estate on the edge of Buxton - just under 50km there mostly main roads via Tideswell (not the A6 though) but it wasn't too busy, retraced home and saw the sunset around Ladybower and came back up the A57 and down into Hillsborough.

« Reply #24624 on: 05 June, 2021, 05:59:20 pm »
On and upon the Trent.
I live in Derby a couple of miles from the river Trent and the Trent & Mersey canal, both feature in many rides.  Lockdown boredom got me thinking how many on and upon placenames there were so I collected them over a couple of rides.  The first last week started with the three local ones, Barrow, Weston, Aston, before a decent run mostly on familiar roads to Newark, with just Radcliffe between.    North of Newark I was on less familiar roads, unexpectedly pretty, with some heavily wooded areas and very quiet roads with a few miles of pleasant tracks. Four more place names and three crossings of the Trent before a bargain Premier Inn awaited on the outskirts of sunny Scunthorpe. I had a huge room designed for wheelchair use, I resisted the temptation to wheel the bike into the wet room and give it a shower…
Yesterday I took the Airnimal on the train to Stoke, using my new Senior Railcard (I know, I know, I can’t believe I’m old enough for one either) A few miles down the canal, before heading cross country on some very rural lanes, most with either grass or gravel up the middle.  In sight of Cannock Chase but not crossing it today. Coffee and cake at the always excellent Cobwebs café in Abbots Bromley. By now back on familiar roads, through Barton Marina on the T&M, where there appeared to be a wedding taking place? I can remember when marinas where places for boats (OK, OK, I am old enough for a railcard) Through Walton and Burton for the last two, a predictable route home which I probably haven’t used since I worked there eighteen years ago.
That’s it, 13 in all, I hope I haven’t missed any, it’s possible some have dropped the prefix, Newark is in some kind of denial, lots of signage not mentioning the river.

A few more photos, not all of the Trent
https://www.flickr.com/photos/phbike/albums/72157719290210581