Author Topic: e-scooter trial  (Read 91155 times)

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
Re: e-scooter trial
« Reply #250 on: 07 June, 2021, 11:02:10 pm »
Although the announcements said only in Canary Wharf and not the rest of Tower Hamlets, I spotted a new e-scooter parking box at Island Gardens station complete with two scooters this evening. So it looks like the initial coverage plans have changed.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #251 on: 08 June, 2021, 12:12:50 am »
The bad parking is absolutely a problem that needs urgently sorted and is doing them a disservice as it justifies the anti-scooter anger from blind and other disabled people...

I am pro scooters as an idea, but they need implementing a lot better. Parked safely 100% of the time and not ridden in pedestrianised areas which is apparently an issue in some places. Round here I only see occasional pavement scootering.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #252 on: 08 June, 2021, 10:19:39 am »
One thing I like about the e-scooters is that they're sociable transport. You often see little groups travelling together or two-up on one scooter (which I think is against the regulations but doesn't visibly impede handling). It also means a larger number of more or less bike-sized and bike-paced vehicles in the general traffic, which is good for cyclists obviously. But they're not bikes in some magic way that means people who wear helmets on bikes don't wear them on scooters.

On parking, it will be interesting to see if the docks survive or become a target for vandalism and if the painted boxes are enough to encourage people to park tidily. I'd observe that painted parking boxes on the road don't stop people parking cars untidily on the pavement...
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #253 on: 08 June, 2021, 10:25:38 am »
The speed limiter is an issue if they are used on the roads. 10mph downhill is just stupid.
The e-scooters that I've seen being ridden inconsiderately have mostly been private ones (usually derestricted), not the pink Voi ones.

Cudzo - helmets are recommended by Voi, but with all these hire schemes (bike or scooter), people don't have a helmet with them - the whole point is that after a few seconds fafffing with an app you can just jump on and go wherever you are.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #254 on: 08 June, 2021, 10:51:58 am »
Precisely – and it doesn't put people off!

I think the 10mph limit is only for the first few weeks in each place, after that it's 15.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #255 on: 08 June, 2021, 07:29:34 pm »

I think the big leap would be if rather than making space on pavements to park them, they just took a parking space away.

They could use something like these:

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #256 on: 08 June, 2021, 08:35:58 pm »
Or these:

« Reply #257 on: 08 June, 2021, 11:40:01 pm »
Those are both good - I love the joke in the Mordor one!

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #258 on: 10 June, 2021, 08:34:10 am »
If we're ever ready to make that leap, at least on noticeable scale, we probably won't need the ironic shapes.

« Reply #259 on: 11 June, 2021, 12:09:25 pm »
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #260 on: 11 June, 2021, 12:13:40 pm »
Voi, the operator of the electric scooters being used in Liverpool's year-long trial, said the machines would emit a "low hum" to alert other road users that an e-scooter was approaching.
Missed opportunity. It's a scooter, should either sound of squeaky wheels or a wasp in a tin can.

« Reply #261 on: 11 June, 2021, 12:27:19 pm »
Voi, the operator of the electric scooters being used in Liverpool's year-long trial, said the machines would emit a "low hum" to alert other road users that an e-scooter was approaching.
Missed opportunity. It's a scooter, should either sound of squeaky wheels or a wasp in a tin can.

Finally, a use for the Crazy Frog... er... tune? :demon:
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #262 on: 11 June, 2021, 12:35:19 pm »
Cudzo - helmets are recommended by Voi, but with all these hire schemes (bike or scooter), people don't have a helmet with them - the whole point is that after a few seconds fafffing with an app you can just jump on and go wherever you are.

In Sunderland the Neuron scooters all have helmets clipped on to the stem, presumably locked given none of them have been nicked.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #263 on: 12 June, 2021, 12:53:38 pm »

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #264 on: 12 June, 2021, 12:54:16 pm »
In other news, mass migration of both Voi scooters and Beryl Bikes towards Edgbaston this morning.  I assume this means that it's going to rain.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #265 on: 13 June, 2021, 10:26:35 am »
I saw some blue hire scoots yesterday in Gloucester. Brand name was something like Zing. I didn't hang around to investigate cos the place where they were was incredibly hot and also ridiculously busy.

« Reply #266 on: 13 June, 2021, 04:42:23 pm »
Last I heard Wolverhampton Council were still to make a decision on whether to go ahead with a e-scooter trial. Wonder how this will feed into their deliberations (or more likely their reaction to public opinion):

https://www.expressandstar.com/news/local-hubs/wolverhampton/2021/06/13/two-people-believed-to-be-riding-e-scooter-seriously-injured-in-wolverhampton-crash/

« Reply #267 on: 13 June, 2021, 04:50:50 pm »
On the commute home I semi regular cross paths with DOD e-scooter rider going as fast as he can in shared use path.  If you feel you need to wear a motorcycle helmet riding that fast, don’t do it around pedestrians.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #268 on: 13 June, 2021, 09:02:48 pm »
Last I heard Wolverhampton Council were still to make a decision on whether to go ahead with a e-scooter trial. Wonder how this will feed into their deliberations (or more likely their reaction to public opinion):

https://www.expressandstar.com/news/local-hubs/wolverhampton/2021/06/13/two-people-believed-to-be-riding-e-scooter-seriously-injured-in-wolverhampton-crash/

*doesn't click on URL*

I bet there was a car involved...

*clicks on URL*

Yup...

« Reply #269 on: 16 June, 2021, 02:05:05 pm »
and two people on the same e scooter.

« Reply #270 on: 16 June, 2021, 02:12:30 pm »

ian

« Reply #271 on: 16 June, 2021, 02:19:36 pm »
You need a driving licence to ride a scooter? WTAF.

« Reply #272 on: 16 June, 2021, 02:33:38 pm »
The hire ones take a scan of your driving licence & compare it to your face when you set the account up.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #273 on: 16 June, 2021, 03:06:29 pm »
So presumably if you have an old fashioned paper licence (still legal) you can't hire a scooter? Although I do remember managing to get over that hurdle with Zipcar.

ian

« Reply #274 on: 16 June, 2021, 03:38:08 pm »
Insane.