Author Topic: Insurance question  (Read 5056 times)

Insurance question
« on: 24 August, 2020, 01:11:27 pm »
Do folks have insurance cover for both riders ?

My wife only rides as stoker: When going to renew my CUK membership I asked about insurance and was advised that I should take household cover because that way we are both individually covered.  (in case it was the stoker who was at fault)  I'm struggling to think of a situation where that maybe the case.  Wondering what others do.

Re: Insurance question
« Reply #1 on: 24 August, 2020, 01:21:27 pm »
Has your other half got control of the drag brake, some of us let the stoker take care of the brake as it frees up space on the handlebars.

« Reply #2 on: 24 August, 2020, 01:41:17 pm »
No, she only has control of the garmin.

« Reply #3 on: 24 August, 2020, 01:48:52 pm »
Only really if you were both in an accident and both needed to make a claim against a third party.  I can't see anyone claiming against your stoker.

« Reply #4 on: 24 August, 2020, 02:16:16 pm »

IANAL, but I think this question is worth being asked only if the two crew members live in two different households. Otherwise, both members are normally covered by the same insurance.

Only really if you were both in an accident and both needed to make a claim against a third party. 

If you drive your car with your partner/children on the passenger seat, you have an accident, both of you are injured, you do not need to have two separate insurances. Why would it be different on a tandem?

A

« Reply #5 on: 10 September, 2020, 09:40:50 pm »

IANAL, but I think this question is worth being asked only if the two crew members live in two different households. Otherwise, both members are normally covered by the same insurance.

Only really if you were both in an accident and both needed to make a claim against a third party. 

If you drive your car with your partner/children on the passenger seat, you have an accident, both of you are injured, you do not need to have two separate insurances. Why would it be different on a tandem?

A

Because the terms of the cycle insurance are different to the terms of a car policy in terms of what it covers .

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 10 September, 2020, 10:06:45 pm »
I can imagine something like the stoker's clothing or luggage becoming entangled with the drivetrain or wheel that might cause a loss of control leading to an accident.  Or if they were to do something to distract you at the wrong moment...  Get stung by a bee[1] and flinch, say.

You only need to wobble into the paintwork on a shiny new wankpanzer to cause an insurance claim...

[1] IME the insurance probably won't pay out if you claim the bee is at fault.  It has to be your fault for failing to avoid it.