Author Topic: To go tubeless or stay tubed.  (Read 27076 times)

Re: To go tubeless or stay tubed.
« Reply #225 on: 31 May, 2021, 08:45:49 pm »
Sorry. Wasn't sarcasm. I think I've confused you with someone else upthread who reported a sidewall gash almost immediately.

My train of thought was that it was a lot of incidents almost immediately and I was about to suggest a change of tyre brand....but I've conflated you in my head with someone else.

Yeah...one puncture, no biggie. Several options if touring, but always take a few inner tubes as you would with normal tyres. Also, a Dynaplug Racer  is well worth having for unsealable holes. And take a decent pump.

« Reply #226 on: 31 May, 2021, 09:14:46 pm »
Thanks HF. Appreciate that. In my calm shed environment I'll try to successfully fix the tyre. Malcolm Borg produced an excellent video on mending tubeless tyres. I bought the wheels and tyres all set up from him so was spoit somewhat.

« Reply #227 on: 31 May, 2021, 09:21:21 pm »
You can successfully patch the inside of the tyre depending on tyre brand. Some have a really shiny surface that is very hard to get the patch to adhere to, despite sanding. Others do not and it will save a tyre

« Reply #228 on: 31 May, 2021, 09:57:50 pm »
Do you mean vulcanising  as in a normal patch applied once innertube cement/ vulcanising glue has dried?

« Reply #229 on: 31 May, 2021, 10:11:53 pm »
I can't remember what the solution is, and I'm not at home to ve able to check. I had a specific tubeless patch kit.

« Reply #230 on: 29 June, 2021, 09:15:42 pm »
It’s June 26th. I’m on the Ride to the Sun (Carlisle to Edinburgh night ride for those unfamiliar with it), I’m riding my carbon road bike which has tubeless ready wheels but came with tubed tyres which I have left as they are (because I’m too lazy).
23:50, Tweed Valley, it’s midge central and I get a front wheel puncture. It takes me 10 minutes to change the tube in the pitch blackness. As I’m fighting off the little blighters, I keep thinking this wouldn’t have happened if I had tubeless tyres.

Later at home, I see that the inner tube has a tiny puncture in it. Guess what kind of tyres I’m going to buy for this bike.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #231 on: 29 June, 2021, 09:47:58 pm »
It’s June 26th. I’m on the Ride to the Sun (Carlisle to Edinburgh night ride for those unfamiliar with it), I’m riding my carbon road bike which has tubeless ready wheels but came with tubed tyres which I have left as they are (because I’m too lazy).
23:50, Tweed Valley, it’s midge central and I get a front wheel puncture. It takes me 10 minutes to change the tube in the pitch blackness. As I’m fighting off the little blighters, I keep thinking this wouldn’t have happened if I had tubeless tyres.

Later at home, I see that the inner tube has a tiny puncture in it. Guess what kind of tyres I’m going to buy for this bike.
Durano plus?

« Reply #232 on: 30 June, 2021, 09:13:25 am »
Donno. I was going to say tubeless but no idea which ones yet. Perhaps the forum can suggest suitable tubeless tyres for road use, 28-30mm. Reliability preferred over outright performance.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

« Reply #233 on: 30 June, 2021, 11:39:46 am »
Hutchinson Fusion 5 all seasons, or if you want bombproof (but a bit skiddy at high pressures) Hutchinson Sector

« Reply #234 on: 30 June, 2021, 01:07:28 pm »
Hutchinson Fusion 5 all seasons, or if you want bombproof (but a bit skiddy at high pressures) Hutchinson Sector
Agreed. The schwalbe tubeless have also not been a problem for me and are a bit more supple but the Hutchison sector are bombproof

« Reply #235 on: 01 August, 2021, 11:52:33 am »
Help!

Right. Today is T day!

Rims were obviously cleaned (isopropyl alcohol) and left to dry.
I used Schwalbe 23mm rim tape as per instructions. Fits perfectly.
I'm using Muc-Off valves (after reading good reviews)
Tyres went on nicely (Hutchinson Fusion 5 all seasons). They even went up with just a track pump with the appropriate noises as the bead seats.
Got them up to 80 psi. First one fine, so moved onto second wheel.
Had trouble getting that past about 40 psi before I could hear leaking air from the valve. The valves come with various rubber thingies for different rim well shapes, so I tried a different one. And then another one. Eventually got it to go up to 80psi without mad hissing from the valve.

So.... If I pump them both up to 80psi, after about 15 minutes, wheel one is down to about 60psi and wheel two (the problematic one) is right down to about 30. There is no audible leak. I'm assuming it's just slowly coming out at the valve/rim interface.

What to do? I haven't put any sealant in yet, as I thought the idea was that they should stay up without it? Or should I bung some sealant in?

I knew it was going too smoothly!
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #236 on: 01 August, 2021, 12:08:00 pm »
take a sponge, dunk it in soapy water and wipe rims and tyres. it will clearly show where the leaks are. some tyres leak through sidewalls and need a sealant to seal. (some leak even with the sealant inside them..)

fwiw, i cut the valve hole in the tape using craft knife, hole being slightly smaller than the valve stem. if it is much smaller the tape will split and leak air, if it is larger it can leak too.

« Reply #237 on: 01 August, 2021, 12:13:11 pm »
OK, ta. Will try the soapy water trick shortly.

I used a sharp bradawl to make the holes. I'll double check the tape hasn't split.

I guess I could also try the inner tubes overnight trick to make sure the tape is properly stuck down....

« Reply #238 on: 01 August, 2021, 04:03:56 pm »
I retaped it incase I'd fucked up the valve hole. Still wouldn't stay up. I tried the soapy water and air was pissing out all over the place! Through the spoke holes. I've put a tube in and stuck 90psi in it to try and get the tape all stuck in place. I've probably fucked it up again, so best order some more tape  ::-)

The other tyre is fine. It's been up for several hours now with no pressure loss at all. I suppose I shouldn't complain at a 50% success rate...

« Reply #239 on: 01 August, 2021, 05:15:47 pm »
If it is coming out of spoke holes then the tape has not stuck down. Did it have bubbles in it? Hi hess tens to make a pathway for air to escape. Also did it really adhere into the rebate at each side where the tyre sits. Again if it has a raised edge air will work it’s way out.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #240 on: 01 August, 2021, 05:37:53 pm »
I've recently had my first experience of a tubeless tyre that refused to stay inflated  (Schwalbe Pro One on Hunt Disc alloy rim). No obvious leaks, reseated everything, retaped, still the same; within a day or so it would be flat. In desperation, I took it for a 20k ride. Now it's fine!

« Reply #241 on: 01 August, 2021, 06:00:12 pm »
If it is coming out of spoke holes then the tape has not stuck down. Did it have bubbles in it? Hi hess tens to make a pathway for air to escape. Also did it really adhere into the rebate at each side where the tyre sits. Again if it has a raised edge air will work it’s way out.

I was aware that there should be no bubbles, so I really went town on making sure there wasn't. So much so, my fingers are now in agony! As you say, I suspect it wasn't stuck down properly, so hopefully the tube that's now in place might help that. I'll try again in the morning.

Weird that the other wheel is fine - I used exactly the same technique on that one...

« Reply #242 on: 01 August, 2021, 08:46:52 pm »
Tyre off. Wipe sidewalls with water and fairy liquid solution (doesn't need to be strong). Mount tyres. Rotate valves to 3 o clock. Add sealant through valve. Inflate to 110psi. Rotate wheel in all directions to splash sealant all around. Leave for a bit then Rotate again.

Check pressure in morning, adjust to desired pressure(25mm 90-100psi) then ride. As per TimC riding improves seal

« Reply #243 on: 01 August, 2021, 09:00:19 pm »
Tyre off. Wipe sidewalls with water and fairy liquid solution (doesn't need to be strong). Mount tyres. Rotate valves to 3 o clock. Add sealant through valve. Inflate to 110psi. Rotate wheel in all directions to splash sealant all around. Leave for a bit then Rotate again.

Check pressure in morning, adjust to desired pressure(25mm 90-100psi) then ride. As per TimC riding improves seal

Cheers, will try that tomorrow.

Just checked the first wheel and it's still not lost any pressure, so that's all good. Can't be bothered to do any more on the one not playing ball tonight - my fingers are too sore!

« Reply #244 on: 02 August, 2021, 09:57:56 am »
OK, the tyre playing ball hasn't lost any pressure overnight (well no more than a couple of psi) and the misbehaving tyre has had the temporary tube removed and is now also up and staying up!

Will bung in sealant later and go for a spin.

Cheers for all the advice on here - without it, I think I may have given up!  :)

« Reply #245 on: 02 August, 2021, 05:37:11 pm »
Sealant went in and I've been out for a ride. All is good :)

Right.... I'll stop wittering on now...

« Reply #246 on: 02 August, 2021, 07:27:25 pm »
 :thumbsup:  Remember to top up air and spin wheels for first few days

« Reply #247 on: 03 August, 2021, 11:09:10 am »
OK here's a question for the experts. Do tyres increase in volume / stretch when set up tubeless?
I've been riding a set of tyres for a few months with tubes in. They were close to the max size for my mudguards but no problems.
Decided to set them up tubeless and now they are rubbing on the mudguards, especially when out of the saddle and swaying side to side.
Any toughts? Cheers

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #248 on: 03 August, 2021, 11:20:31 am »
Yes, it is commonplace for tyres to stretch a millimetre or two. Wheel flex applies too.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #249 on: 08 August, 2021, 10:18:33 pm »
I’ve just been exchanging messages with a friend who provides neutral service at big triathlon events across Europe and beyond.
The most common issue - tubeless tyres by far.
An interesting observation.