Author Topic: Where to buy/try  (Read 2389 times)

Where to buy/try
« on: 01 March, 2021, 01:56:14 pm »
I think I’d like a recumbent.   Predominantly for audax type rides and long days out.   If I’m on honest, much as I enjoy it on my upright I’d like to be a bit more comfortable.  I get numb sit bones, painful wrists and sometimes hot foot too despite h@ving several bike fits over a few years. And, it’ll be nice just to try it for a change.

So, I want something reasonably quick and comfortable over distance.  Was thinking a high racer type.   Really started to think about after doing about 40 mile with someone on one last year.   Any ideas, suggestions would be really appreciated.

I’m in East Yorkshire.   Is there a dealer or something anywhere near me?  A local owner where I could have a look and get some more advice?  I’m actually seriously thinking about getting the train up to Edinburgh to try a few out!

Re: Where to buy/try
« Reply #1 on: 01 March, 2021, 02:16:30 pm »
Once travel restrictions allow a trip to Edinburgh sounds like a good idea - if you email Laid Back Bikes you can book a try out session.  Even then it's difficult to get a good idea without getting some miles in so the usual suggestion is to try something second hand.  I started with a Kingcycle, second hand of fleabay.  Then eventually settled on 26" / 20" stick bike style as my preferred audax and long distance bike:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-LB2n2YsvtkFvxNA5otNeE9nUxQXjU9X/view?usp=sharing
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

« Reply #2 on: 01 March, 2021, 03:01:04 pm »
Cheers Socks, that looks a great bike!   They are really hard to find used though!

« Reply #3 on: 01 March, 2021, 03:57:12 pm »
I've got Bacchetta Giro 20 steel frame sat in my garage from which I robbed a load of none-recumbent bits for another build. It'd be an ideal project if you fancy adding some standard components. I think I have a 20 inch front wheel for it. I had a lot of fun on it and that's up and down Peak District Hills, it'd be a blast in East Yorks. Did a few Audaxes on it too

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

« Reply #4 on: 01 March, 2021, 04:38:59 pm »
What socks said, except that I would just buy a "name brand" second hand recumbent and go from there.  Look on the BHPC/CTC/YACF selling sites and eBay.  Avoid something with no name as it could be uncharacteristically rubbish and will probably not sell on easily.  Something more expensive will probably be easier to sell than something less expensive (e.g. if you buy a bike for £500 you would need to be practically giving it away second hand, whereas a £1,500 bike you could sell on at £500 less than you bought it for).  Consider also the cost in time/effort to go someplace and look, then return and buy.
Expect that your first recumbent will be a starting point for the wishlist of your second recumbent, hence why thinking about resale value is important.

Also, depending on your size a highracer may be tricky to start on if you need to learn to get your feet down.  Possibly a 20" front wheel will make your life easier there.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 01 March, 2021, 10:57:40 pm »
If it weren't a) not happening until mid-May at the earliest  and  b) likely to be subject to coronalurgi restrictions, I'd suggest attending a BHPC race as a good way to meet an assortment of recumbents (especially those of a faster disposition) and their owners.  Most people would be happy to let you try them for size (leg length can be an issue on high racers), if not actually ride them.

(Don't be put off by the racing aspect.  It's got the full gamut from WTF-how-is-that-staying-on-the-track to those simply taking the opportunity to trundle in the single-digits mph on some high-quality car-free tarmac.)

Meanwhile, has anyone mentioned DTek?

« Reply #6 on: 06 March, 2021, 12:02:03 pm »
I'll be selling my performer high racer in the next month or two if of any interest. Although I'm in Dorset so a bit of a schlep from east Yorkshire. I've a 30" inseam and had no issues getting feet to the ground.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #7 on: 06 March, 2021, 12:18:08 pm »
I'll be selling my performer high racer in the next month or two if of any interest. Although I'm in Dorset so a bit of a schlep from east Yorkshire. I've a 30" inseam and had no issues getting feet to the ground.

Did you not get on with it then Tom?

« Reply #8 on: 06 March, 2021, 12:35:19 pm »
I'm just not using it enough unfortunately! Injury has got a bit better to manage short rides on my uprights. I've actually lost interest  and accepted that audax distances aren't possible for me nowadays,  took a long time to get over it, but am really enjoying shorter rides including getting out on a full suss mtb with mates locally.
Where I live there are lots of really narrow lanes and steep hills with people driving like lunatics, I never really got comfortable on the recumbent after being used to whippeting up the hills on an upright.

« Reply #9 on: 06 March, 2021, 01:03:55 pm »
Based on my (limited) experience of buying and dabbling in recumbents, I'd definitely recommend going second hand, get something in the rough ball park of what you're after,  then see how you get on with it and work out what your ideal machine would consist of.
I had communication with both Kevin at dtek and david at laidback- both very helpful indeed. I then had the luck to buy mine from Andytheflyer who spent time letting me learn how to ride his recumbents before buying the performer.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap

« Reply #11 on: 15 March, 2021, 02:59:33 pm »
Happy to get a DM Tom when you are ready to part ways with it. I might be interested.

« Reply #12 on: 15 March, 2021, 06:42:42 pm »
A couple for sales on the BHPC forum that are unbelievable value.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace