Author Topic: Tiller Steerer for Encore?  (Read 2126 times)

Wothill

• over the hills and far away
Tiller Steerer for Encore?
« on: 03 May, 2021, 04:14:55 pm »
My first recumbent was a Grasshopper which had a tiller steerer. Since then I  have had three which have all been open cockpit steering and mostly been happy with them. The bike I have just finished building is a Performer High Racer with tiller steering and from my first test rides I really like the better forward view you get even compared to the J-bar on the Encore. So I am wondering about converting my Encore to take a tiller bar. The immediate problem is that the steerer tube is about 20cm further from the seat than the Performer so the tiller would need to be at least 58cm to avoid any danger of my legs hitting the brake levers. Most of them seem to be much shorter than this and it may be a feature of tiller steerer bikes that the head tube is closer to the seat for this reason. Has anyone found a source of long tiller steerers?
Thanks for any leads I can follow up.
Alf

Wothill

Re: Tiller Steerer for Encore?
« Reply #1 on: 04 May, 2021, 05:20:03 pm »
Think I have solved this. Aluminium tube is quite easy to buy in short lengths including 31.8 and 28.8mm O/D or thereabouts. One length of each will give an extension of the 31.8 tube with an internal sleeve of the smaller diameter. I may just glue the sleeve inside or bolt it in place - won't look so good but more easily de-mounted in future.
Should work I think.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2 on: 04 May, 2021, 07:46:58 pm »
A bike with a lot of tiller is an acquired taste. Many folk don’t like too much tiller because they oversteer but you might as well see if it suits you.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Wothill

« Reply #3 on: 04 May, 2021, 09:02:42 pm »
Quite right. Looking forward to trying it out. Just have to find some bars that will fit and see if my bar-end shifters will be usable. Should be good enough to try out the tiller anyway.

« Reply #4 on: 10 May, 2021, 08:12:28 am »
Interested to know how you compare the Encore and the Performer, which is quite close to my (now defunct) Optima high racer.

I always preferred tiller steering. I'm sure a lot of it is what you're used to but it always feels like a lot of bar is in front of you with the open cockpit designs.

Wothill

« Reply #5 on: 04 July, 2021, 10:17:32 pm »
Interested to know how you compare the Encore and the Performer, which is quite close to my (now defunct) Optima high racer.

I always preferred tiller steering. I'm sure a lot of it is what you're used to but it always feels like a lot of bar is in front of you with the open cockpit designs.
This must be one of the latest ever replies - very sorry!
I have actually been recovering from one of the worst colds I can remember (definitely not Covid) so my opportunities for testing and comparing have been limited.
I have done a couple of hundred kilometres now on the Performer and it's a nice bike to ride but I get the feeling that it doesn't respond so well to a maximum effort as the Encore. I am not sure why this is; David (@Laidback) suggests the frame is likely to be a bit bendier and therefore less efficient than the carbon Encore. The other possibility is the difference between tiller and open cockpit bars. I am much more used to the open cockpit now although my first recumbent - a Grasshopper - was also tiller, so maybe I am more used to trying hard in that position. You can certainly counter the leg push with a pull on the bars on the open cockpit, whereas with the tiller I am pressed back into the seat.
Comparing aero efficiency - I really don't know. The Performer is a bit lower which will help but my upper arms are vertical and probably add as much (or more) drag as the bars on the Encore and the straight arm position of the Encore means the torso as a whole is less drag - I think.
On one of my regular rides which takes me about 2hours 15 these days on the Encore (used to do it in under 2 hours a few years ago) the Performer seems to add at least 5 minutes. It's a moderately hilly ride. I suspect it might be closer on the flat.
Sorry to hear your Optima (High Baron?) is no more! Have you foresaken the Darkside? Terrible question to ask, I admit
Regards
Alf

Wothill

« Reply #6 on: 04 July, 2021, 10:23:33 pm »
I should also have mentioned that the original reason for this thread - fitting a tiller to the Encore - was a complete failure. I did manage to fit a tiller with a fair amount of DIY on the steerer, but as predicted by wiser heads, the bike was un-rideable. The tiller was just too long and wild movement of the hands were needed for small steering adjustments, resulting in much uncontrolled swerving and near falls. From riding the tiller on the Performer I do prefer the better forward vision - no bars in the way - but the J-bars on the Encore are pretty good and I think I still prefer the overall ergonomics of the open cockpit
Alf