Author Topic: Audio drama recommendations  (Read 685 times)

ravenbait

• Someone's imaginary friend
  • Pudge controls the weather.
    • Someone's imaginary friend
Audio drama recommendations
« on: 25 May, 2021, 01:37:16 pm »
Not normally a podcast person, during lockdown I started listening to a couple on BBC Sounds while cooking (Lovecraft investigations and Tracks) and enjoyed them immensely. Thus started my search for good audio drama.

Most horror/scifi podcasts seem to be more like narration of a story. They are often diary format. Even the Magnus Archives, which is probably one of the best, started out as one chap narrating documents in the archives with some sound effects (it gets better).

My favourites so far other than the BBC Sounds ones above and the Magnus Archives are The Left Right Game (but read the original story at r/nosleep for the way it originally ended, which is way better), Tanis (for the first couple of seasons, before it loses its way), Janus Descending and Primordial Deep, The White Vault, and The Silt Verses. I've just started Archive 81.

Tanis started doing my head in by breaking for sponsorship adverts halfway through, and that was my one big issue with The Left Right Game as well.

Does anyone have any good British audio drama recommendations, preferably horror/scifi? Preferably that keeps its adverts to the start and/or end, because I hate being dumped out of an episode to hear the producer's thoughts on socks.

Sam
https://ravenbait.com
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: Audio drama recommendations
« Reply #1 on: 26 May, 2021, 08:57:37 am »
Neither horror nor sci-fi, but I highly recommend John Finnemore's Double Acts - he's best known for his comedy sketches but this is a series of two-hander plays and it's brilliant. Funny, but so much more than that.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Finnemore%27s_Double_Acts
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."