Author Topic: Mudguards.  (Read 8071 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Mudguards.
« Reply #25 on: 05 June, 2021, 05:51:18 pm »
I regard them as a necessary evil.  They are noisy, fragile, the narrower ones shake themselves to death in frequent use, and they both increase rim wear and make cleaning more difficult.  It's also harder to chuck the bike in a car because it doesn't get much smaller with the wheels off.

They do stop your bum crack being force-fed gritty water, though.

My narrow SKSs have lasted decades. One rear did break but only because I rested my saddlebag on it.

As for increase rim wear, surely wet is wet, more water on the rim could actually decrease wear by washing away all the grit and muck.
The theory (one of Jobst Brandt's) is that mudguards recycle dirty water onto the rim as much of it drips straight back.  Without guards, it's flung off, never to return.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #26 on: 05 June, 2021, 07:38:58 pm »
I have udgurards on the single speed commuter and the longer distance bike with Tailfin, etc.  The weight penalty on that bike of bontrager designed to fit mudguards is minimal but I stay cleanish and dryish.  The TT bike and the SLT carbon black Emonda of course do not have mudguards but they only here rumours about rain from the other two bikes as they chat in the garage.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #27 on: 05 June, 2021, 07:48:31 pm »
I think I donated a cleat bolt to cycleman at one point. 
It is a rule of cycling that everyone who rides with cycleman for more than an hour must donate a component or at least lend a tool to him. Some of these components are later found at the roadside by Blodwyn Pig....
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #28 on: 05 June, 2021, 07:58:02 pm »
Both my bikes have mudguards. Both have rear mudflaps too and one also has a front mudflap (the other has a front mudguard which ends quite near the ground).

On the utility-tourer in utility mode, they mean I can go shopping without appearing to have suffered an attack of diarrhea, and in touring mode they mean I can ride all day in comfort without abrading my arse. On the other bike, they mean the same things.

The only problems they cause is when they get clogged with mud. My ideal bike would have about 3cm of clearance between tyre tread and mudguard.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #29 on: 05 June, 2021, 07:58:58 pm »
I made it a personal Rule to put spare M5 bolts in every unoccupied boss or hole.

« Reply #30 on: 05 June, 2021, 09:14:26 pm »
It’s each to their own of course, but personally for an all weather all year round bike I think mudguards are more or less a must. I moved from Raceblades on my Croix de Fer to SKS Longboards (to maximise coverage) and the difference in rain protection is vast, keeping the drive train, frame and my feet away from the worst of the weather.

A

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #31 on: 05 June, 2021, 10:53:14 pm »

And properly fitted mudguards don't rattle or buzz or make a noise.

Oh? How come? The sound of the cross wind whistling through the narrow gap is horrible. I don't see what part of "properly fitted" prevents this.

Perhaps this is only a problem if you're stupid enough to frequently go out in 50+kph cross winds...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #32 on: 05 June, 2021, 11:05:38 pm »
Maybe it's the size and shape of the gap.

Mine are fitted quite close and wrap around the tyre. From a side view, they cover at least halfway down the tyre, so there isn't a gap as such from the side.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #33 on: 05 June, 2021, 11:07:42 pm »

Mine are fitted quite close and wrap around the tyre. From a side view, they cover at least halfway down the tyre, so there isn't a gap as such from the side.

Wind will still go through that gap, no problem.

Also, doesn't that just make them clog with crap easier?

J
--

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #34 on: 06 June, 2021, 12:42:41 am »
Finally traced a weird and annoying micro creaking noise that seems to be linked to the amount and size of aggregate in the road surface (clue im in Scotland its lots) , to the front of my bikes front mudguard today.

So I can ignore it now until it makes itself unignoreable.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #35 on: 06 June, 2021, 06:31:01 am »
Rattling or buzzing mudguards are probably lacking rigidity or not properly tightened (unless it's just dust pinging off them).

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #36 on: 06 June, 2021, 08:54:59 am »
It's a plasticy creak thats seems to match the resonance in the mud flap, was sorted by putting my hand on the front of the guard.
I need to do cables and chain today so I'll probably have a look, the rear rattle was sorted by gorilla tape, because someone somewhere thinks plastic bridge hangers with no ability to actually hold the guard is better Design than metal crimping on.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

« Reply #37 on: 06 June, 2021, 10:42:52 am »
Most mudguards are shit thin thermoplastic that cracks at the first opportunity and is near impossible to fettle straight and circular with the adjustments available. The only good 700c mudguards I’ve used are PDWs which are thick metal.

I think mudguard users overestimate their ability to keep you dry. Their main benefit is when riding wet roads just after it’s stopped raining. If you’re going to be outside in the rain anyway it doesn’t matter.

« Reply #38 on: 06 June, 2021, 04:31:35 pm »

J

I only ride on roads.

« Reply #39 on: 06 June, 2021, 04:43:30 pm »
Flinger mudguards are polycarbonate and nice and sturdy.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #40 on: 06 June, 2021, 05:04:43 pm »

J

I only ride on roads.

Obviously clean roads at that; although the only pace I've ever fully clogged guards was on a Dutch Cycle path I've come close with byproducts of the food supply chain round here.

Checked the noise when I did the cables, yep it's the front end of the guard creaking when the bottom rattles, which is obviously constantly.

Most mudguards are shit thin thermoplastic that cracks at the first opportunity

yes its those sorts, I'm expecting eventual failure at the bridge.

« Reply #41 on: 06 June, 2021, 05:31:07 pm »
Mudguards do slow you down despite what some people say.
Is this opinion, or fact (to be backed up by evidence)?

https://www.renehersecycles.com/myth-3-fenders-slow-you-down/
often lost.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #42 on: 06 June, 2021, 06:35:05 pm »
Note the length of the portion of his front mudguard ahead of the fork though. Ever seen one like that in real life?

Anyway, if mudguards were really aerodynamic to any material degree, the UCI would have banned them.  :P

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #43 on: 06 June, 2021, 06:36:45 pm »
Note the length of the portion of his front mudguard ahead of the fork though. Ever seen one like that in real life?

Anyway, if mudguards were really aerodynamic to any material degree, the UCI would have banned them.  :P

They have.

J
--

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #44 on: 06 June, 2021, 07:13:49 pm »

They have.

J
Citation? googled but could only find a Usanian forum claiming they're banned.

« Reply #45 on: 06 June, 2021, 07:35:57 pm »

They have.

J

It's more likely they have banned aerodynamic fairings, which would include fairings that cover or even enclose the wheels.

« Reply #46 on: 06 June, 2021, 07:38:47 pm »

They have.

J

It's more likely they have banned aerodynamic fairings, which would include fairings that cover or even enclose the wheels.

Like a rear mudguard fairing then

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #47 on: 06 June, 2021, 07:39:33 pm »
--

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #48 on: 06 June, 2021, 08:02:51 pm »
"Additional fixtures". So, banned, albeit not specifically for being aero.

« Reply #49 on: 06 June, 2021, 08:29:56 pm »

I only ride on roads.

Obviously clean roads at that; although the only pace I've ever fully clogged guards was on a Dutch Cycle path I've come close with byproducts of the food supply chain round here.

Urban roads, definitely not clean, but not muddy.

I suspect the roads are covered with various types of dust, sand/grit and particles.