Author Topic: Dropout adjuster bolts...  (Read 886 times)

Dropout adjuster bolts...
« on: 18 June, 2021, 09:32:43 am »
I keep losing nurled heads to dropout adjuster bolts/screws on both my steel framed bikes.  A while back ordered 20mm replacements but was sent 30mm length, which are too long, but do the job - now lost another nurled head.  The spring seems redundant, as pretty well compressed to the max.  Anyway, can I just use a regular M3 Hex bolt?  I guess it needs an end nut (axle side) to prevent the bolt thread end being damaged.

Thoughts in general?
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Re: Dropout adjuster bolts...
« Reply #1 on: 18 June, 2021, 10:19:51 am »
I had a bit of trouble getting some for my recent respray. Otherwise, not really had the issue, but interested in answers.

« Reply #2 on: 18 June, 2021, 10:39:07 am »
Anyway, can I just use a regular M3 Hex bolt?  I guess it needs an end nut (axle side) to prevent the bolt thread end being damaged.
Yes, that is what I did when I ordered some Campag copy replacements which were short for my long ends.  I am sure the length I bought was 30mm, not hex bolt but a screw driver slot for ease of adjustment.  If you find the spring is full compressed, this suggests to me that you are fitting the spring outside the dropout instead of inside.  Also, the head of the screw goes inside the drop out leaving the end cap outside to prevent you catching yourself on the end of the screw.  If you have no end caps, then you could fit a nyloc nut to achieve the same purpose.

« Reply #3 on: 18 June, 2021, 11:02:07 am »
Try a drop of threadlock and just for the sake of accuracy it's 'A knurled knob'

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #4 on: 19 June, 2021, 09:40:39 am »
just for the sake of accuracy it's 'A knurled knob'
Another one to shout at close-passing Corsa drivers.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #5 on: 19 June, 2021, 11:59:53 am »
Thanks.  My axle sits quite far back in the dropout - probably why not much room for spring.  Annoying I have a pack of spares which, can I find?  No.  Have some M3 hexs I can try.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #6 on: 19 June, 2021, 08:42:25 pm »
You can get stainless ones on the Bay of Thieves in various lengths.  Put them in with grease, as the frame still rusts!
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #7 on: 20 June, 2021, 10:11:35 am »
The ones on my late-70's Peugeot screw through a little rubber tube set in the dropout to stop them unscrewing - but the dropout is designed to take it, not an easy retrofit.