Author Topic: The Art of the Danglemug  (Read 1644 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
The Art of the Danglemug
« on: 24 June, 2021, 08:37:47 am »

ARTIST’S STATEMENT: UNTITLED DANGLE ART NO.01
“Cyclists dangle many items from their packs, but none is so ubiquitous as the metal mug. Evoking hunters, trappers, prospectors, and Scouts, each puts the cup on the outside ostensibly to save room in the pack and as a tune of hopeful optimism for dipping it into a rushing stream for a drink. Ultimately, the dangle mug is transformed into a signal of belonging and identity, with functionality sublimated into aesthetic aspiration. Most often making the bicycle look like a rolling junkyard trash pile exploded onto a confused horizon of industrial debris, dangle mugs remain a triumph of cupping intention.” —Joe Cruz
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Re: The Art of the Danglemug
« Reply #1 on: 24 June, 2021, 09:52:16 am »
Also entitled "Well, photoshop my bottom, y'all."

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2 on: 24 June, 2021, 05:49:43 pm »
I have never dangled my mug.  I recently bungeed a big bag of salad to the top of a full Carradice Barley using an Ottolock, though.  I was quite proud of that.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #3 on: 24 June, 2021, 06:29:44 pm »
If you did that in the desert of New Mexico or the Highlands of Scotland, it would be either seriously radical bikepacking or trans-surrealist statement art ("juxtaposing the mundane and fresh greenery with the harsh, depopulated landscape"). But in Swindon it's just a salad!

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #4 on: 24 June, 2021, 09:07:00 pm »

ARTIST’S STATEMENT: UNTITLED DANGLE ART NO.01
“Cyclists dangle many items from their packs, but none is so ubiquitous as the metal mug. Evoking hunters, trappers, prospectors, and Scouts, each puts the cup on the outside ostensibly to save room in the pack and as a tune of hopeful optimism for dipping it into a rushing stream for a drink. Ultimately, the dangle mug is transformed into a signal of belonging and identity, with functionality sublimated into aesthetic aspiration. Most often making the bicycle look like a rolling junkyard trash pile exploded onto a confused horizon of industrial debris, dangle mugs remain a triumph of cupping intention.” —Joe Cruz

Er, but that's not a mug, just a tin can with both ends removed.  What use is that?
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #5 on: 24 June, 2021, 09:16:34 pm »
That is what makes it art. Art, pretty much by its nature, is something that isn’t useful as such but is interesting.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #6 on: 25 June, 2021, 08:03:24 am »
That's exactly the point. This is where I originally saw it: https://bikepacking.com/news/joes-dangle-art/
This might or might not be the same Joe Cruz: https://www.itsnicethat.com/articles/joe-cruz-art-280121

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #7 on: 26 June, 2021, 04:20:24 pm »
This one isn't explicitly intended as art, in fact it's someone's Tour Divide set up so should be purely purposeful, but it's so rusty it's hard to imagine drinking from it.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #8 on: 02 July, 2021, 10:52:32 am »
That is what makes it art. Art, pretty much by its nature, is something that isn’t useful as such but is interesting.

I wish I'd said that... ;)
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.