Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2163315 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #15950 on: 28 May, 2021, 10:55:36 pm »
:)
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #15951 on: 28 May, 2021, 10:59:21 pm »
Repaired Jeremy:

(He'd suffered a bad case of battery leakage, so I removed his original innards and crammed a Wemos D1 Mini and some surplus blinkenlights from the BHPC LAZER DISPLAY BOARD up his arse.  He seems to have enjoyed it, anyway.)

Why is your phone watching you?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #15952 on: 28 May, 2021, 11:04:41 pm »

It thinks I'm odd.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #15953 on: 28 May, 2021, 11:20:24 pm »

It thinks I'm odd.

Ah, it's one if those new fangled smart phones  :P

« Reply #15954 on: 29 May, 2021, 06:37:36 am »
Tip - when installing a UN55 type BB fit the non-drive side cup in loosely to help with the alignment as you put the unit in from the drive side.
Thank you :thumbsup: . That would have sped up the installation. Also put on chainset, pedals, seat and tuned the gears (didn't need adjusting). XACD titanium bike now ready for its first outing of the year.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #15955 on: 30 May, 2021, 08:42:25 am »
Yesterday, removed the cassette and freehub from an idiosyncratic South African upright trike for a lady. http://koostricycles.co.za/racers/ It has an unusual rear axle arrangement that has created some headscratching over the past few years. The owner managed to remove the LH wheel, axle and bearings herself but then got stuck.

Today, the plan is to remove the driveside axle to replace all the rear axle bearings, swap the cassette and chain for some lower gears and refit everything.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #15956 on: 30 May, 2021, 08:47:04 am »
The handle of my gardening trowel was getting cracked and rather unpleasant so cleaned, sanded and treated with some bees wax furniture wax we inherited with our house many manybyears ago. Its now a lot nicer

« Reply #15957 on: 30 May, 2021, 11:14:59 am »
The kitchen floor, the old-fashioned way, on my hands and knees with a scrubbing brush. Most satisfying. It also served to remind me where the lower drain point for our central heating is (adjacent to the valve on the kitchen radiator).
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #15958 on: 30 May, 2021, 01:19:04 pm »
Investigated why the cameras in my car have not worked since I parked up to return to work in November.  I didn't get around to it when I was home in Jan - Feb which turned out to be fortunate.  The problem was condensation ingress into the connector on the power widget shoved up behind the dash.  That had caused a short and the permanent live pin had volunteered to be the fuse - totally evaporated, a 5 pin housing with 4 pins present.  New connector fitted & all is well again.  Oh and a smaller fuse fitted in the fuse box.

The 'fortunate' part is because the connector is a JST 2.54mm.  This is something I didn't have in stock until the end of Feb when I ordered the wrong kit off big river co.  The kit I wanted was 2mm.  That mistake resulted in an easy fix today without resorting to bodgery.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #15959 on: 30 May, 2021, 08:09:26 pm »
Finally got the RH axle out but I need to run a tap through a thread and replace a couple of rounded out bolts (not by me). Everything goes back together tomorrow.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #15960 on: 30 May, 2021, 08:16:58 pm »
I took the stem out on the newly-acquired Brompton to grease it, and because there should be a small 1-2mm gap to the headset locknut (otherwise you can't adjust it) and there wasn't.  Also adjusted the lower stop disc, which was fouling the seatpost on folding, to give a similar 1-2mm air gap.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #15961 on: 30 May, 2021, 08:19:42 pm »
Replaced a faulty Suunto T6c Bike Pod with one that is working.

ravenbait

• Someone's imaginary friend
  • No, RB3, you can't have more tupperware.
« Reply #15962 on: 30 May, 2021, 08:36:07 pm »
Spent most of the weekend rescuing two toolboxes and their contents from a plague of mice.

Sam
https://ravenbait.com
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

rogerzilla

« Reply #15963 on: 31 May, 2021, 06:52:50 am »
Spent most of the weekend rescuing two toolboxes and their contents from a plague of mice.

Sam
That's what happens when you buy cheap tools made from cheese.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #15964 on: 31 May, 2021, 04:24:38 pm »
Third day in a row of working on this trike. New axle bearings fitted, things greased and oiled as required. Almost everything is back together, but she had taken apart the LH axle before I ever saw the trike. It seems there is a spacer missing between the frame bearing and the hub, so it isn’t rideable yet. She can source a suitable spacer and refit the wheel without needing me. Hopefully everything works well after that.

« Reply #15965 on: 31 May, 2021, 05:01:29 pm »
Adjusted my Nexus 8 hub. It took 30 seconds.
Move Faster and Bake Things

ravenbait

• No, RB3, you can't have more tupperware.
« Reply #15966 on: 31 May, 2021, 05:57:27 pm »

That's what happens when you buy cheap tools made from cheese.

It's what happens when you store the sack of peanuts for your garden birds temporarily in the garage after decanting some into a tub for daily use, then discover several weeks later that you'd forgotten to transfer them into a sealed, mouse-proof container, and all the peanuts have turned into mice and mouse crap.

Sam
https://ravenbait.com
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

« Reply #15967 on: 31 May, 2021, 07:14:39 pm »
Just think of the happiness you have given mousekind.
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #15968 on: 31 May, 2021, 08:54:50 pm »
Two fettles combined with upcycling today.

Firstly a motorised valve on the central heating system had the gear jumping. Repaired with the motor and gear assembly from an older valve. I don't know exactly where the older one came from, but I guess it was one that was replaced when heating was changed to valves on each radiator. I may have to change the whole valve operator soon as the rack was somewhat worn.

Secondly, a bluetooth speaker had stopped charging, but otherwise worked fine. It turned out to be a failed charging IC. I could have obtained one of those if I was prepared to wait a week or two, but instead I cut the Li-Ion charger section out of an old circuit board, and soldered wires from that to where the failed charging IC had been.

Give the cost of bluetooth speakers, while fixing it gives me a sense of satisfaction, it's not really worth my time fixing stuff that cheap. Repairing the motorised valve makes much better financial sense as they are expensive, and the valve operator can be changed while leaving the valve body, and the water, in place.
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

« Reply #15969 on: 06 June, 2021, 08:49:10 pm »
Set up a couple of wireless doorbells for the parents.  Extra loud ones from http://www.connevans.co.uk/ as everyone in that household has some level of hearing impairment.  Barely qualifies as fettling. 

Also unboxed & set up one of those upright air cooler / humidifier things,   their ageing hell hound has been suffering with the hot weather......
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

rogerzilla

« Reply #15970 on: 06 June, 2021, 09:21:34 pm »
Pulled apart a SRAM T3 hub.  All good inside, which is just as well since spares are becoming extinct.  Stupid 7/32" bearing size in the driver, which is obviously the only size I don't have.  Last time I used those was on an ancient Campag Record front hub, I think.

« Reply #15971 on: 06 June, 2021, 11:43:51 pm »
Dishwasher.

Set it going an hour ago, it stopped a while later beeping and flashing a random number, which turns out to be the anti-flood warning - meaning that (barring electronic failure) the float in the plastic tray that makes up the bottom of the machine has risen due to water collecting there, triggering the machine to pump water out of the washing compartment and raise an alarm.

Quick check pulling the bottom front panel off, and yes, it's full of water but nothing obviously amiss (pipe off, dampness around a component). Drain it out, turn the machine back on looking inside the bottom to see  water running down the side. Quick look inside, the water hardness selection knob has a big knurled nut and rubber gasket to seal it. The nut had come loose over the last 8 years or so we've owned the machine. Tightened it up, dried out the bottom, and dishes are washing again  :thumbsup:

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
What have you fettled today?
« Reply #15972 on: 07 June, 2021, 06:28:29 pm »
polished an old dull crank, nds so far

to be cont’d

ok, three hours worth of scrubbing to achieve “that’ll do” standard

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #15973 on: 07 June, 2021, 07:08:25 pm »
Pulled the broken Campag double front mech off my trike and a couple of hours later fitted a cheap Shimano triple front mech scavenged from a nearby bike shops’s discard pile. It works well enough to get me back home without having to heel and finger change the chainrings.