Author Topic: Little Eye On The Provinces  (Read 377847 times)

Re: Little Eye On The Provinces
« Reply #2475 on: 17 June, 2021, 12:09:13 pm »
In Liverpool most people aspire to not living in Kensington.

Leave it for the students, it'll toughen them up a bit,
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

ian

« Reply #2476 on: 17 June, 2021, 12:10:20 pm »
It made me what I am.

It was a step down from Tuebrook. But we got a gangster landlord so no one robbed us.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2477 on: 17 June, 2021, 12:25:28 pm »
If you'd offered Thatcher (spits) £200k for Scouseville she'd have bitten your hand off.
You wouldn't want that.  Rabies shots are really painful.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #2478 on: 17 June, 2021, 12:32:32 pm »
Looks like the pretty fields you can see on Streetview are for the bulldozer.  https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/plans-huge-new-community-1700-20039813
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #2479 on: 17 June, 2021, 06:45:50 pm »
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

ian

« Reply #2480 on: 17 June, 2021, 06:58:19 pm »
Our activities (or one of them) did get a write up in The Echo. I'm not sure if the statute of limitations still applies.

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #2481 on: 18 June, 2021, 08:16:26 am »
Mystery Derby car vandals turn out to be territorial crows

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-57495330
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2482 on: 18 June, 2021, 08:27:39 am »
Looks like the pretty fields you can see on Streetview are for the bulldozer.  https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/plans-huge-new-community-1700-20039813
If it's anything like Swindon, the "industrial park" or "employment land" will end up being used for housing too, as the developers plead lack of demand/poor business environment.  The fact that they can sell houses for millions more than offices or warehouses is purely coincidental.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2483 on: 18 June, 2021, 08:36:43 am »
Add to that the fact that permitted development will allow change from retail to housing. Good bye shopping streets and hello fragmented money-pot street frontages.
It is simpler than it looks.

ian

« Reply #2484 on: 18 June, 2021, 09:38:50 am »
Wandering through Kent the other weekend, we saw lots of signs 'Save Capel' (Capel and Tudeley are small villages east of Tonbridge). It might be easy to reach for the nimby card, but basically the plan – after a google – seems to be to build 4000+ homes in a field with a laughable nod to sustainability, everyone knows that'll be usual local/express convenience store and cars, cars, cars as they drive everywhere. Mind you, our local council wants to similar on a more modest scale with a similarly serviced 'garden village' which might be more apt called a dormitory for drivers. It's all about our obeisance to developers.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #2487 on: 23 June, 2021, 09:40:21 am »

That explains the strange hissing sound.

A mechanic "nearly had a heart attack" when he discovered a python under the bonnet of a van during an MOT.

The 1m-long (3ft 4in) snake, which had been missing for two weeks, belonged to the vehicle's owners, who were "relieved" their pet had been found.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-57567018
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #2488 on: 23 June, 2021, 11:20:30 am »

That explains the strange hissing sound.

A mechanic "nearly had a heart attack" when he discovered a python under the bonnet of a van during an MOT.

The 1m-long (3ft 4in) snake, which had been missing for two weeks, belonged to the vehicle's owners, who were "relieved" their pet had been found.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-57567018
Dear The BBC. Since when was 1 metre 3 ft 4 in? Were all those natty metrication rhymes a waste of time? "A metre measurs three foot three, it's about the weight of a big jar of jam. " Or something.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2489 on: 23 June, 2021, 11:22:29 am »
natty metrication rhymes

This deserves a footnote for Young People And Americans...

« Reply #2490 on: 23 June, 2021, 11:35:34 am »
We need a metrification unit to define young people.

I was born well post the date that google states BRITAIN abandoned IMPERIAL and adopted the metrification unit.     I still measure all DIY in feet and inches, refer to feet and inches in conversation, buy my beer by the pint in the pub, use the mileage signs on our roads, keep to the knot limit on rivers, etc.

It does my head in trying to calculate any distance or other measurement when people insist on using km.   First thing I always did on getting an audax routesheet was to correct it so that it could be followed.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2491 on: 23 June, 2021, 11:37:49 am »
We need a metrification unit to define young people.

I was born well post the date that google states BRITAIN abandoned IMPERIAL and adopted the metrification unit.     I still measure all DIY in feet and inches, refer to feet and inches in conversation, buy my beer by the pint in the pub, use the mileage signs on our roads, keep to the knot limit on rivers, etc.

It does my head in trying to calculate any distance or other measurement when people insist on using km.   First thing I always did on getting an audax routesheet was to correct it so that it could be followed.

You know, given the UK has been metric since before you were born, maybe now would be a good time for you to try to actually use the metric system instead, rather than the backward barleycorn derived barbarian units?

Just a thought.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2492 on: 23 June, 2021, 11:45:36 am »
No, even if you can think in metric, I think we're doomed to a hogdgepodge of domain-specific non-interchangeable units.  Stones, angstroms, miles per hour - they all work perfectly until you want to compare with something outside that domain.

I was genuinely wondering if I could get a ruler marked in mils yesterday.  It would make PCB layout related measurements easier, rather than converting back and forward with millimetres.

« Reply #2493 on: 23 June, 2021, 11:47:15 am »
You know, given the UK has been metric since before you were born, maybe now would be a good time for you to try to actually use the metric system instead, rather than the backward barleycorn derived barbarian units?

Does that mean I can start driving at 130km/h on a motorway?    I haven't got the mental energy right now to try to convert the speed limit signs/highway code/speedo in my car, but I recall that when I went to that there europe it was the speed limit of a motorway when I left IMPERIAL and went METRIC

Now if you won't mind, a friend is talking about her new horse and how many hands it is, and my 30cm ruler won't reach up to its arse.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2494 on: 23 June, 2021, 11:55:45 am »
I never learnt any natty metrication rhymes, despite having been at school in the 1970s. AFAIR we had teachers who tried to use the metric system but had, obviously, spent all their lives using imperial. That was at primary school, at secondary school it was the 1980s and nobody even pretended to use metric.

Anyway, I expect the python was measured in feeterninches and then BBC-style-guided to the nearest metric equivalent. I'm rather glad it wasn't described as "1016mm (3ft 4in)".
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #2495 on: 23 June, 2021, 11:56:27 am »
I got so fed up of trying to work out ounces and pounds (I'm in several online US-dominated backpacking groups, and their preferred units are meaningless to me) that I installed a Chrome extension to convert things to sane metric units. Much better. :thumbsup:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2496 on: 23 June, 2021, 12:02:57 pm »
I was genuinely wondering if I could get a ruler marked in mils yesterday.  It would make PCB layout related measurements easier, rather than converting back and forward with millimetres.

Turns out that if you shop around a bit, you can get rulers with both decimal and fractional divisions of an inch.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2497 on: 23 June, 2021, 12:05:54 pm »
In the words of the immortal Little Richard:
I got a snake, three foot four,
She asked for a meter but I gave her more

And as Bruce Forsyth has been reminding us:
Nice 2 metre, 2 metre nice
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #2498 on: 23 June, 2021, 12:52:53 pm »
In the words of the immortal Little Richard:
I got a snake, three foot four,
She asked for a meter but I gave her more

And as Bruce Forsyth has been reminding us:
Nice 2 metre, 2 metre nice

My brother Billy
Had a ten foot willy
And he showed it to the girl next door.
She thought was a snake
So she hit it with a rake
Now it's only a metre three foot four.

The Chuckle Brothers had a large sheep, a bit over six feet in length
It was their two metre ewe.

« Reply #2499 on: 23 June, 2021, 01:02:04 pm »
The Chuckle Brothers had a large sheep, a bit over six feet in length
It was their two metre ewe.

It took me 30 seconds for that to register, then I got it.

It took me much longer trying to work out a metric unit to refer to half of a minute.   I gave up in the end.