Author Topic: Project Handlebar  (Read 27956 times)

Re: Project Handlebar
« Reply #25 on: 13 January, 2015, 08:55:46 pm »
I have often contemplated whether I could use a carefully cut and cleaned section of old inner tube wrapped and joined with patch glue instead of naff sticky tape to finish off bar tape.   I guess that I'd have to find a way to hold it in place whilst it sets though.   

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #26 on: 13 January, 2015, 09:06:37 pm »
I look forward to seeing the results of that experiment, Basil!

This is heartening.

Not bad, not bad. I'll meet your heartening adhesive-based sentiment and I'll raise you a John Hegley:

This could be heaven

He's known you for under a week
and he wonders if he's under a spell
it's as if he's been living in a shell
and for the first time ever
he's poked his rocker out.
He feels like a knocker
that's discovered its bell
like some sellotape
realising it's more self-expressive
sticking something
than being stuck on a roll
he feels whole
and it's hell
is it just his imagination
or is it yours as well?
Sellotape. Truly the work of Stanley (Matthews or knife, makes little difference), but so much easier to clean off your fingers than, say, that stuff you use for Warhammer figures.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #27 on: 13 January, 2015, 09:47:50 pm »
Meanwhile, I've also done sanding.
The Garmin spine mount is now a leetle easier to disengage - hopefully it won't wrench at whatever it's mounted to from now on.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #28 on: 13 January, 2015, 10:38:56 pm »
Sanding *and* adhesives?  You're really making a night of it...

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #29 on: 13 January, 2015, 11:51:27 pm »
a healthy supply of outer cable (always handy to have, it'll not go off, you'll use it sooner or later

This was my logic.  Which is why I now have a 197m roll of the stuff...   ::-)

OTOH, it did come in handy when trial-and-erroring cable lengths on the (notoriously cable-length-sensitive) Brommie.

All round to kims for a fettling session.

« Reply #30 on: 14 January, 2015, 12:25:19 am »
With a bit of forward-planning, you could use heatshrink instead of Lx tape...

Ooh.  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  Although Forward Planning and Basil have never really been a thing, I'm liking that so much that I've filed it in brain with a fluorescent page marker. 
I hate putting insulting tape on my bike.  (So why is there so much then?  :facepalm: )

Self-amalgamating tape works quite well (at least, it seems to last beyond the point I really ought to be replacing the bar tape) and doesn't need much forward planning beyond having it within reach.

I have often contemplated whether I could use a carefully cut and cleaned section of old inner tube wrapped and joined with patch glue instead of naff sticky tape to finish off bar tape.   I guess that I'd have to find a way to hold it in place whilst it sets though.   

Again, needs forward planning, but why not a ring of inner tube rolled onto the bars and up to the centre before you add levers or tape?

« Reply #31 on: 14 January, 2015, 01:25:20 am »
'kin adhesives!
I heartily agree, and always buy non-adhesive bar tape.
Profile and Bontrager tapes (at least), have silicone gripper stuff on the back (as round the legs of cycling shorts), rather than glue. It holds perfectly well, allows you to unwrap/rewrap the tape, and doesn't muck up the inner layer if you use two layers of tape, like I do.

« Reply #32 on: 14 January, 2015, 07:55:34 pm »
Sanding *and* adhesives?  You're really making a night of it...

And today was dremmeling and whittling.

Used birthday vouchers to KlickFixify a cheap ebay barbag, thereby quadrupling its value or something ridiculous like that. Have also done the same for my Topeak Tourguide barbag that had been rendered pretty much unusable due to a teeeeny bit of broken plastic on the mounting bracket.

Hopefully after tomorrow's post I'll be able to finish off the bar tape, fix the KlickFix mount and attach assorted other bits.

Fingers crossed for the new barbag - the side pockets look like they'll work fine for camera storage on day rides etc.

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #33 on: 14 January, 2015, 08:32:24 pm »
I'm thinking of moving the brakes on my bars - which will, of course, involve un-taping and re-taping. I HAVE NEVER DONE THIS BEFORE - but there are lots of guides on the internet so I should be OK. After all, the internet has taught me a lot.

Q for the panel, though: what tape do I buy? I'm looking at http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/ventura-cork-handlebar-tape-including-plugs-prod2043/

I don't think it's adhesive-y (good, judging by the previous posts on this thread). I've got some red insulating tape to do the ends. Hopefully it'll all be easy (but I'll buy three sets of tape just in case!)

« Reply #34 on: 14 January, 2015, 08:39:36 pm »
Unless you're flying the flag for an independent Northumberland, I'd pick a different colour (note: colour singular).

That strip down the middle is adhesive, I think.

« Reply #35 on: 14 January, 2015, 08:45:17 pm »
Even with adhesive it's relatively easy to redo so I wouldn't buy three sets!

« Reply #36 on: 14 January, 2015, 08:48:25 pm »
*blinks*

Be safe, be seen on the commuter bike?!

I think the tape I used was http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/BTPXCO/planet-x-cork-handlebar-tape (bought it about a year ago), so possibly quite similar, including the thin strip of adhesive down the centre. What did for me was the backing tape peeling off as soon as I started handling the bartape. Maybe have someone nearby to lend a hand if needed. The process itself wasn't that complicated, but I think there's a knack to dealing with cables and curves that comes with experience - GOOD LUCK!

« Reply #37 on: 14 January, 2015, 08:55:41 pm »
Dont leave your cables without any slack tho but. The bars on the Galaxy are quite narrow and will therefore always cause a bit of a problem with a bar bag. Being able to tuck them away behind the bag needs some slack.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #38 on: 14 January, 2015, 09:10:02 pm »
Here you go, Pancho:

If the backing tape turns out to be thin like in the photo you posted, I think you'll have an easier time of it. Also I had cross-top brake levers to work around too.

The bars on the Galaxy are quite narrow and will therefore always cause a bit of a problem with a bar bag.

I'm using some compact bars that Mr Bunbury gave me (which happen to be a bit wider than the originals, I think), but the mounting bracket brings everything forward well clear of the cables, so no fouling there. (That's why I couldn't use the original velcro attachment on the ebay bag - it got in the way of the cables and the cross-tops.)

« Reply #39 on: 15 January, 2015, 07:30:35 am »

That strip down the middle is adhesive, I think.

Not if it's like the Cinelli cork tape it isn't, just a slightly tacky feeling strip. No problem undoing and redoing it, I speak from experience  :-[
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #40 on: 15 January, 2015, 07:50:02 am »
Unless you're flying the flag for an independent Northumberland, I'd pick a different colour (note: colour

Noooo - go for the splash tape!  :thumbsup:

« Reply #41 on: 15 January, 2015, 10:07:04 am »
Thought I might give using a bike computer a go and have dug out an old Aldi one.

Naturally the magnet has gone AWOL  ::-)
No immediate hurry to locate it, and I expect it to turn up stuck to something precisely 5 minutes after I've sorted out an alternative  :facepalm:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #42 on: 15 January, 2015, 12:42:13 pm »
Paging Biggsy.  Biggsy to the neodymium courtesy phone please...

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #43 on: 15 January, 2015, 02:08:32 pm »
Moshi moshi.  Nikki, let me know your address if you'd like a free mini magnet to glue on.  I don't think I've got a spare screw/clip-on type.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #44 on: 15 January, 2015, 02:11:46 pm »
Any recommendations for bar tape that is sufficiently generous that it will reach the ferrule? I always run out about 2 inches short, worse when there is padding under the tape.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #45 on: 15 January, 2015, 02:16:31 pm »
As far as I can remember (I might have forgotten one or two): all the major-brand "cork" tape I've used has been long enough to tape the whole 46cm-wide bar right up to the stem, with some left over - including Deda.  You may need to stretch it whilst applying.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #46 on: 15 January, 2015, 05:53:30 pm »
Paging Biggsy.  Biggsy to the neodymium courtesy phone please...

Heh! When I logged on to post that, I actually had it in my mind that I'd read something to do with you or Biggsy and/or small neodymium-related hacks and was going to ask. Went to check how to spell 'Biggsy' and spotted the link in the sig  ;D

Moshi moshi.  Nikki, let me know your address if you'd like a free mini magnet to glue on.  I don't think I've got a spare screw/clip-on type.

Arigatou gozaimasu m(_ _)m
I'll spend the £1.50 I was going to spend on a chunky Halfords one on some Araldite instead!

Vince, that stuff I linked to up-thread might possibly probably do it - I've taken it to about 2 inches from the stem on what I think are 44cm bars, then cut off about 8 inches surplus. I was a bit conservative with overlap (i.e. not a huge amount) though, so then again maybe not. And, y'know, not an overwhelming recommendation for that particular tape!

« Reply #47 on: 15 January, 2015, 06:53:56 pm »
Looks like it might just work...

« Reply #48 on: 15 January, 2015, 08:43:08 pm »

;D   :thumbsup:

Stepping away until morning now; looking forward to realising whatever obvious thing it is that I've forgotten...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #49 on: 15 January, 2015, 08:46:30 pm »
What are those numbers on the bell? Or is it actually a triple-purpose bell-speedo-compass? Or perhaps it functions as a deadly weapon, James Bond style?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.