Author Topic: Wiltshire tour - there is a plan!  (Read 27755 times)

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
Re: Wiltshire tour - possible group ride?
« Reply #25 on: 18 June, 2015, 07:33:28 pm »

I took a look at day 1 and it looks like you missed the obvious opportunity to stop at the Friar Tuck in Amesbury. Shame on you :P

I've cycled down the towpath beside the Caen Hill locks twice and up it once, on a mountain bike with nigh-on indestructible 2" Marathon Plus tyres. The first time going down was with a friend on a touring bike who seemed to get a flat every time he went within 100 yards of a piece of glass, but he didn't get a flat going down that stretch.

The second time going down was with a larger group on a mixture of mountain and more road-like bikes (I forget if they were proper "road bikes" or more like touring bikes) and the only issue we had was someone drifted off the path and buckled his wheel on something.

Going up was with the same friend as the first time, this time we were both on mountain bikes and had no issues.

Depending on the time of day (and I guess what day it is) you can get to a reasonable speed freewheeling. Just mind your head on the bridges at the bottom.

I agree with Kim's assessment that you don't go very far past the locks before the path gets a lot lumpier. It seems a shame not to see the locks, but a bigger shame to spend more time fixing punctures than you do riding, or wrecking delicate anatomical areas on a bike that really can't cope with the lumpier section of towpath.

Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

« Reply #26 on: 18 June, 2015, 08:58:43 pm »
Friar Tuck fo lunch after passing through Wilsford cum Lake...
Reine de la Fauche

« Reply #27 on: 19 June, 2015, 09:15:00 am »
On the opposite side of the lock flight is a newly resurfaced road that leads to a car park from the bottom and also enters from the top but I'm not sure if they join in the middle.  That side of the road is also one of the Millenium Wood sites.  Not much to see yet but worth visiting maybe if you plan on coming back in years time to see the growth - "I remember that wood when it was only neigh high".......  ;D

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
« Reply #28 on: 20 June, 2015, 08:57:05 pm »
Friar Tuck fo lunch after passing through Wilsford cum Lake...

OK, I'll let you off. It looked like you passed close enough to shout an order in, but stayed far enough away to not actually collect it.

Another option to consider would be to borrow a section from the lovely route organised by scampi OTP that routes from Amesbury towards Hungerford and beyond. I did the 200 a couple of years ago (would have done it again last year but broke my bike two days before the ride) and really enjoyed it. An added bonus is that you get to stop for ice cream at the Tutti Pole in Hungerford.
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #29 on: 21 June, 2015, 12:34:28 am »
I'd like to register an interest. I lived in Wiltshire for quite a few years, including at the top of Caen Hill locks, and would love to do a cycle tour around my old haunts. My job usually prevents my participation in stuff like this, but I'll keep an eye on it...

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #30 on: 22 June, 2015, 08:39:33 pm »
I love that region. It is so varied and there is never a point where you feel bored with your surroundings.

Have a good ride m'dears.  :thumbsup:

H

« Reply #31 on: 23 June, 2015, 04:51:19 pm »
I'm currently working on some variations so we see the canal but not for too long; planning to do a run with my sister early September - hoping to recce a few bits before then.

Can anybody let me know how busy the B3098 between Westbury and West Lavington is?

Julia
Reine de la Fauche

« Reply #32 on: 24 June, 2015, 09:51:39 am »
Can anybody let me know how busy the B3098 between Westbury and West Lavington is?

It's usually "fairly quiet" rather than "very busy".

« Reply #33 on: 24 June, 2015, 06:26:13 pm »
I'm interested. Touring with others without huge mileages sounds like a winner for me. Great :)

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #34 on: 24 June, 2015, 06:53:35 pm »
Do you have dates for this?  I might be upfrit, riding to and from a festival in Wiltshire a couple of years ago I resolved to come back and this would be a good opportunity.
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #35 on: 25 June, 2015, 07:33:09 pm »
13th to 15th September looks a possibility.... Please be aware I will not be herding cats. I will organise the route and am prepared to phone ahead to the campsites. I reserve the right to stop for lunch when I feel like it and will not be going in search of lost souls! If the weather is horrible I will not be going!

Basically this is the introduction of my sister to cycle camping which I am happy to share with others of like mind!

HTH
Julia
Reine de la Fauche

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #36 on: 25 June, 2015, 07:38:20 pm »
TBH, I find that YACF cats generally herd themselves if you make a plan, state it clearly and stick to it.

« Reply #37 on: 25 June, 2015, 08:54:12 pm »
TBH, I find that YACF cats generally herd themselves if you make a plan, state it clearly and stick to it.

I expect you're right; I'm Mrs Grumpy pessimistic today - sorry all.

Julia
Reine de la Fauche

« Reply #38 on: 25 June, 2015, 09:07:05 pm »
13th to 15th September looks a possibility....
My birthday!

« Reply #39 on: 25 June, 2015, 09:16:09 pm »
13th to 15th September looks a possibility....
My birthday!

I won't ask which one....
Reine de la Fauche

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #40 on: 25 June, 2015, 09:43:47 pm »

I expect you're right; I'm Mrs Grumpy pessimistic today - sorry all.

Well, the faff can be fairly endless if you leave dates and routes open to debate, so it's not an unreasonable concern...

« Reply #41 on: 29 June, 2015, 02:58:14 pm »
Plan – Friday 11th Sept to Sunday 13th Sept 2015
Anyone driving can safely leave a car near us Redlynch south of Salisbury; however the ride in to Salisbury is doable but not pleasant and adds 5 miles to the first and last day.
The whole route shadows the railway network so there is a back out option or the possibility of a train to Pewsey and joining for days 2 and 3.

Day 1 meet Salisbury Cathedral Close at 11:00, if damp Salisbury Station.
Proceed up the Avon Valley via Wilsford-Cum-Lake (of Audax fame) to Amesbury for lunch at The Friar Tuck (or a nice pub!)
Onward up the Avon Valley across tank country to our resting place for the night – The Barge Inn, Honey St. http://www.the-barge-inn.com/campsite.php. £7.50 pp
Eat at the pub or shop for food in Salisbury Amesbury or Pewsey on route (closest to the finish)
Route - http://cycle.travel/map/journey/13331 32 miles (but can be shortened to 28 with less climbing by using a bit of main road see http://cycle.travel/map/journey/13287)

Day 2 leave via NCN4 for Devizes for shops, brewery and Caen Hill flight of locks.
Route can be via towpath if weather has been good but is mapped via lanes apart from Caen Hill itself (downhill!)
Continue through Trowbridge (all the shops you might need) to camp at Brokerswood Country Park - £11 per emplacement for 2 people (special walkers and cyclists rate). I need to check as they don’t take huge group bookings – we could always be cunning and just turn up; anyway I’ll phone first and see what response I get.
Pub nearby at Rudge http://www.thefullmoon.co.uk/directions.html but I’ll probably buy a bottle of wine and do some gourmet cooking.
Route http://cycle.travel/map/journey/13521 28 miles

Day 3 – the longest Day 35 miles – all on decent roads.
Start the day with a route through the grounds at Longleat, a bit lumpy but worth the effort. Then an easy run skirting Warminster along the Wylye Valley, through Wilton and back to Salisbury.to disperse.
Route http://cycle.travel/map/journey/13523
Reine de la Fauche

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #42 on: 29 June, 2015, 03:55:52 pm »
Sounds interesting. Checking diary.  :thumbsup:
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #43 on: 29 June, 2015, 04:28:57 pm »
Ideal for me: I can get a train direct to Salisbury and the website says that I can book a space for the bike on it.

« Reply #44 on: 29 June, 2015, 05:08:04 pm »
Ideal for me: I can get a train direct to Salisbury and the website says that I can book a space for the bike on it.
I shall look forward to joining you for a birthday drink! All I need now is Helen's fractured radius to heal up so she can ride in comfort, some decent weather and it should be a goer.
Reine de la Fauche

Re: Wiltshire tour - there is a plan!
« Reply #45 on: 09 August, 2015, 12:13:52 am »
Bump: are we still on for this Julia?

« Reply #46 on: 10 August, 2015, 10:40:50 am »

Still on, Helen is mending nicely. Only truly foul weather will stop this. I'll pm you the proposed alternative....
Julia
Reine de la Fauche

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #47 on: 10 August, 2015, 11:01:46 am »
I am an infrequent user of the Waterloo - West Country route, but it seems to me that they never seem to get involved in cheap Advance tickets. I can get a reasonable deal using my OBRC, but without that I would have baulked at the price.

My own preference is to travel to Salisbury on the Thursday and camp at the C&CC site, which is only a mile or so from the city centre.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #48 on: 10 August, 2015, 02:24:14 pm »

Still on, Helen is mending nicely. Only truly foul weather will stop this. I'll pm you the proposed alternative....
Julia

OK Plan B - I've checked with the other half and if the weather is foul I will be offering the use of the facilities in our house plus the use of a dry heated garden "shed" (courtesy of Dunster House) with foam mats on the floor to anyone who wants to commit and buy train tickets etc.
Anyone tough can camp on the back lawn. There is a downstairs loo just inside the back door and family bathroom upstairs. We live in Redlynch , south of Salisbury, just within the New Forest National park so can do some good day rides and return to warm and dry lodgings and use of shower, washing machine etc. We can do a barbecue if the weather allows it one evening or we can make lots of mess in the kitchen! Otherwise the nearest pub is 500m away.

HTH
Julia
Reine de la Fauche

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #49 on: 10 August, 2015, 02:25:45 pm »
That sounds really wonderful - thank you! Above and beyond the call of duty and all that...
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.