Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2435007 times)

Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #450 on: 30 July, 2008, 06:38:02 pm »
Very nice bike, Liz. Nice to see you've got the right colour bar tape too but, ahem, sandals and carbon? You'll be putting a Brooks on it next.  ;)

Sacrilege!
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #451 on: 31 July, 2008, 09:20:48 am »
That's a lovely set up, Paul.  I suspect it will be a great joy to ride every day.

I have aspired to TA chainrings all my life, and that Vega kit looks good. 

I'm interested in your front light mounting.  I've always had an issue with front lights (which I like to mount on the fork crown), and barbags (which then obscure the light ::-) ).

Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #452 on: 31 July, 2008, 09:21:45 am »
Hey - does this mean that Woolly's gone orf up Pyrenees without leaving us pix of Chutney? :(
Getting there...

Paul Smith SRCC

• Surrey Road Cyling Club
  • 45+ years a club rider, 33+ years in cycle trade.
    • www.plsmith.co.uk
« Reply #453 on: 31 July, 2008, 09:21:59 am »
That's a lovely set up, Paul.  I suspect it will be a great joy to ride every day.

I'm interested in your front light mounting.  I've always had an issue with front lights (which I like to mount on the fork crown), and barbags (which then obscure the light ::-) ).

I used a low rider boss, I do actually have a fork mounted lamp boss but the bolt was to big  ;D

Paul

Chris N

« Reply #454 on: 31 July, 2008, 09:25:40 am »
Very nice Paul - I think I might need another bike...

RogerT

• Playing with a big steamy thing
« Reply #455 on: 31 July, 2008, 09:26:38 am »
That is a lovely bit of kit..very aspirational !

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #456 on: 31 July, 2008, 10:05:30 am »
I used a low rider boss, I do actually have a fork mounted lamp boss but the bolt was to big  ;D

Paul

Ingenious!
Getting there...

Fixedwheelnut

• "If it ain't fixed it's broken"
    • My photos
« Reply #457 on: 01 August, 2008, 12:26:55 am »
 Paul that would make a great Audax bike if you ever wanted to venture further on it  :thumbsup:

Great set up
"Don't stop pedalling"

Paul Smith SRCC

• www.plsmith.co.uk
« Reply #458 on: 01 August, 2008, 08:20:32 am »
Paul that would make a great Audax bike if you ever wanted to venture further on it  :thumbsup:

Great set up
Yes it would be ideal, I though you may like it  ;) :thumbsup: ;D, as I mentioned earlier "between the ages of 15 and 35 the majority of my mileage was on a fixed" and a lot of that was on that very bike for all riding, tours and audax, although we called the latter reliabilty trials back then. It was common that us racers types (as I was then) would ride fixed in the winter, but I enjoyed it so much I rode my work/club bike all year round, even when for quite a while hardly anyone did, as such the component choice was awful, either high geared track bike specific or Cyclo sprockets which were not round and would often strip the hub thread; the choice now is so much better, although I have used road components like that chainset with the ring inside the spider to save a few pennies, I may even put some worn Ergo levers on as I like the shape and lever action, something soooo wrong with that though, would upset me on some levels  ;D

I initially had it set up as a fixed, a road bike with horizontal drop outs is ideal as a fixed with guards as wheel removal is easy, plus I also like two brake callipers, so it made sense to simply have a bike set up as a road bike including rear mech hanger incase I later wanted to use it with gears; which I did, even though I had it respaced to 130 it easily pulls in to 120 for that Ambrosio track hub.

As for doing longer mileage on it I may do although nothing to quick, a minor heart problem means that on occasion my heart gets confused, sprinting for traffic lights in the hope I can get through before they turn green is fine providing I win that little race, if I lose and have to do an emergency stop that just confuses the old ticker and it stops for a bit before kicking in again which I confess is a bit alarming while I sit there on the verge of passing out waiting for it to start again. Like wise I have a problem sometimes with a fixed which is why I stopped using it before, long spinning descents confuse it as well and I get a pain down my left arm especially as I ride in the surrey hills and only use a 62", I have had it checked with at the hospital I apparently I had the best heart they had seen all year, what I have is apparently not that uncommon, I just avoid those situations where it can get confused.

But with the new job I thought I would be indulgent and have a bike that I will only use for work, minimum 7 miles each way although my route will be 10 so justified a  ;) I am someone who is seldom indulgent but to an extent this was, mind you have just received my new Van Nicholas Chinook with full Campagnolo Record as well, my last race bike lasted over 30 years  ;D, that means I will be 75 when I get the next new one  ::-)

Paul_Smith

Fixedwheelnut

• "If it ain't fixed it's broken"
    • My photos
« Reply #459 on: 01 August, 2008, 11:42:36 pm »
 One of our Catford CC riders has a similar heart problem, it forgets to pump every now and then he has broken his collar bone twice in the last twelve months falling off and last month broke his elbow doing the same, it was the latter that lead to the diagnosis  :'(
 It looks like he might get a pacemaker.
"Don't stop pedalling"

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #460 on: 04 August, 2008, 01:10:51 pm »

Here is my new baby Chutney :) Dahon Speed Pro TT, 2008, mango coloured did you see the link with her name , did you you did you ?

And for the sharp eyes among you lot, that is Col de Tourmalet in the background and we just did a wee ride up to Luz Ardiden, 1715m.

Chutney rides very very well, climbs very steady and easy, will get to use that 28" gear quite a lot here. And the down hill bits well let's just I did 40.9mph without even trying going down Luz Ardiden.

I just had to get used to that everything happens very low to the ground, but else I love the way it rides.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #461 on: 04 August, 2008, 01:29:49 pm »
Nice bike Woolly!  :P
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #462 on: 04 August, 2008, 02:28:56 pm »
Great stuff :thumbsup:

Lovely bike - and good riding taking it from new up the Cols :)
Getting there...

« Reply #463 on: 04 August, 2008, 05:48:26 pm »
Chutney is doing woolly proud in the mountains. He looks great on her; very balanced and climbing easily, and getting quite a few looks from the serious roadies (the ones with wood-chiseled calves) one encounters in these parts.

Zoidburg

« Reply #464 on: 04 August, 2008, 06:14:01 pm »
My 19 year old Peugeot Triathlon 531

Not much is original, bars, brake levers, hubs. Shimano 105 7 speed, MA2s, Coda chainset. Short wheelbase, ace for nipping through the city. I love this bike.

My fine weather commuter but done some 200s  on it also.
Never mind the sodding bike

Why didnt you tell us that you get free coffee and cake if you cycle to Ikea?

« Reply #465 on: 04 August, 2008, 06:17:26 pm »
My 19 year old Peugeot Triathlon 531

Not much is original, bars, brake levers, hubs. Shimano 105 7 speed, MA2s, Coda chainset. Short wheelbase, ace for nipping through the city. I love this bike.

My fine weather commuter but done some 200s  on it also.
Never mind the sodding bike

Why didnt you tell us that you get free coffee and cake if you cycle to Ikea?

Erm.... Free Coffee & Cake

Zoidburg

« Reply #466 on: 04 August, 2008, 06:24:06 pm »
Sorry

I must not have recieved that memo

Besides, I dont work with or in IT so I miss these things from time to time ::-)

Paul Smith SRCC

• www.plsmith.co.uk
« Reply #467 on: 04 August, 2008, 09:26:17 pm »

Paul

Ingenious!
Took a picture for you, all it needed was an ikle spacer

Paul_Smith

« Reply #468 on: 04 August, 2008, 09:27:48 pm »
Paul--how do you keep it from rotating downward?
scottclark.photoshelter.com

Paul Smith SRCC

• www.plsmith.co.uk
« Reply #469 on: 04 August, 2008, 09:30:40 pm »
Paul--how do you keep it from rotating downward?
It is such a light light that it seems OK so far; little different from when lamps were located on the larger bosses that you can also see on that fork blade, if it does give me problems I will rig something up to that larger boss though

Paul_Smith

« Reply #470 on: 04 August, 2008, 09:33:43 pm »
Interesting--thanks! I need to try a setup like that eventually. Need a generator first, though...

Paul Smith SRCC

• www.plsmith.co.uk
« Reply #471 on: 04 August, 2008, 09:37:50 pm »
Interesting--thanks! I need to try a setup like that eventually. Need a generator first, though...
I have run this for over ten years with no problems so it should be OK

Paul_Smith

« Reply #472 on: 04 August, 2008, 09:41:06 pm »

Scenery's better in the top picture....  ;)

Paul Smith SRCC

• www.plsmith.co.uk
« Reply #473 on: 04 August, 2008, 09:44:03 pm »

Scenery's better in the top picture....  ;)
Whooops should have been just the lower pic  ;D; the top one is Corsica and now the bike I converted back to a fixed.

Paul_Smith

« Reply #474 on: 05 August, 2008, 06:26:09 pm »
First post on here so hello from me  (& bikes)   :thumbsup:

OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert