Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2443516 times)

Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #700 on: 20 October, 2008, 03:37:00 pm »
Another winter hack. Raleigh Record Sprint, dates from 1983 with Reynolds 501 tubing. I've repainted it black and given it some new hand painted 'retro' graphics which I've just clearcoated. It's still 6 speed but runs like a dream. Apart from the paint and bits I had lying around this bike has cost me £15  ;D ;D

sorry for the crap pics. They were taken with my phone.

OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #701 on: 20 October, 2008, 03:46:39 pm »
Although far from genuine, I quite like what you've done to give a retro 'feel' to the graphics.  It is, of course, one of the bikes I used to want as a teenager, with it's distinctive red/yellow livery, but the black &white exudes a cool class.
Getting there...

« Reply #702 on: 20 October, 2008, 03:50:26 pm »
that's lovely. Who did the painting?

« Reply #703 on: 20 October, 2008, 04:05:30 pm »
one of the bikes I used to want as a teenager

me too, not kept this original but I feel that at least it's still on the road and not in a skip  :(
or SS  :P

I did the paint Mike, I have my own compressor and spray equipment. I also have airbrushes and signwriters pencils etc due to being one ( a signwriter that is  ;D ) I've just got to let the clear coat harden and remove some lining tape residue then give it a good polish so I can take it out to get dirty  ;D

It's currently blowing a gale and ****ing down here  :-[

OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

francisbarton

• Francis
  • I've only got one bike, and it's only got one gear
« Reply #704 on: 20 October, 2008, 04:13:18 pm »
Another winter hack. Raleigh Record Sprint, dates from 1983 with Reynolds 501 tubing. I've repainted it black and given it some new hand painted 'retro' graphics which I've just clearcoated. It's still 6 speed but runs like a dream. Apart from the paint and bits I had lying around this bike has cost me £15  ;D ;D

Hack? Hack?! That is gorgeous. I'm guessing it's not exactly lightweight, but I really like the black and white style; the bars, chainset, pedals and everything else look great. Good work that. And with the added satisfaction of spending £15 on something and keeping a ver' nice bike on the road. Thanks for the photos - I am inspired.

« Reply #705 on: 20 October, 2008, 05:25:16 pm »
Help please

In pic #520 there is a bag on the back of grub's Thorn.  What is it? 

Damn, my life must be on a downward spiral - I've never asked a question like that before.

« Reply #706 on: 20 October, 2008, 06:33:51 pm »

How unusual, a picture of Grubs bike ;D

The bag looks like a Carradice Prima Maxi

SQR bags and saddlepacks

« Reply #707 on: 20 October, 2008, 06:35:41 pm »

I like that too. Simple black and white with a very nice font. Lovely

« Reply #708 on: 20 October, 2008, 08:23:05 pm »
Aidan, thanks for the bag id.

Now, your follow up for a bunus of 10 : is the bag sitting on a small seat post rack?  If so, can anybody identify it for me ?

I bought a a Super C saddlepack a few months back and have become a bit disilutioned with it.   Unless I fill it completely (say, with nice fleece clothing) then it seems that the bag and lid were designed for totally different purposes.   With an almost empty bag the lid fits like an air brake and the bag just sags.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #709 on: 20 October, 2008, 08:25:48 pm »
I use a Super C (almost) every day.  I have it on a Bagman QR on the fixed, and the QR gubbins on the tourer/commuter, which has a rack for it to sit on.  Yes, it sags a bit at the sides (I keep personals in one side pocket and tools in the other side) sometimes, but a U-lock helps hold the shape. 
Getting there...

« Reply #710 on: 20 October, 2008, 08:30:40 pm »
The bag looks like a Carradice Prima Maxi

SQR bags and saddlepacks

Correct.  JohnP, it doesn't have a small rack, it just connects as is.  The two top flaps go around your saddle rails and can also go into saddle loops if you have them.  The base of the back is quite rigid ( plastic insert I think ) so stays as you see it and doesn't deform when filled out.

« Reply #711 on: 20 October, 2008, 08:31:17 pm »

Nicely done, I like that. A Brooks is needed though  ;)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #712 on: 20 October, 2008, 08:34:03 pm »
I have a Prima too, but I have a niggle.  The straps that go through the saddle loops/round the rails are too narrow for the cams to hold.  I double them back under, but it's fiddly, and still they slip a bit. :(
Getting there...

« Reply #713 on: 20 October, 2008, 10:19:25 pm »
re: Grub & Prima  - thanks guys.  Looks like another call to Carradice may be in order. 

Bagman for Super C or a new Prima ?

SORRY - I've rather taken this ot.  No more replies to me or I may get banned.

But thanks.

« Reply #714 on: 20 October, 2008, 10:56:46 pm »
A Brooks is needed though  ;)

I was going to but this will be left outside for long periods in all crappy weather, that's why I built it. I've got a nice black swift that may find its way onto it in summer  ;)

« Reply #715 on: 21 October, 2008, 05:57:32 am »
re: Grub & Prima  - thanks guys.  Looks like another call to Carradice may be in order. 

Bagman for Super C or a new Prima ?

SORRY - I've rather taken this ot.  No more replies to me or I may get banned.

But thanks.

As with all space storing devices, you will fill it and then want for more.  ;D  It is ace for my commute.  In the side pocket I carry my C02 head, multitool, superpatches, cable ties and Speedplay cafe covers.  In it I carry 2 tubes, cable lock, 3 C02 cannisters, and to work a sandwich, banana, two boiled eggs, two apples, two mandarins and some nuts.  On the way home I may stuff dirty washing in there or the clothes I am not wearing due to weather change.  It also stores my Gore waterproof jacket.
My only complaint is that sometimes I dream of being a weight weenie and with all the stuff I have in it, it looks rather big.  It is all in my mind though.

ABlipInContinuity

« Reply #716 on: 22 October, 2008, 10:18:51 am »
bumper,

That raleigh is lovely!

Must get you to paint a bike for me :P

« Reply #717 on: 22 October, 2008, 04:40:21 pm »

Possibly the most eighties-looking thing on the road.  Even so, I'm tempted to keep it as it is.

« Reply #718 on: 22 October, 2008, 04:49:27 pm »
Them forks look like kona's P2's.  :thumbsup:

Whats that underneath the chainstay, next to the tyre?
Don't ask.

Chris N

« Reply #719 on: 22 October, 2008, 04:50:29 pm »

Ah, the innocence of youth. :D  It's a U-brake boss.

chris

• (aka chris)
« Reply #720 on: 22 October, 2008, 04:59:17 pm »

As in 'U' for useless!

donpedro

• ain`t haulin` any lambs to the marketplace anymore
    • But, I'm Swedish!
« Reply #721 on: 22 October, 2008, 06:18:04 pm »

Possibly the most eighties-looking thing on the road.  Even so, I'm tempted to keep it as it is.
Cool! If I weren't wasting away my time here I would put together my Scott Delano with a Flexstem, XT cantis and give you a run for the money!  ;D
"A society is defined not only by what it creates, but by what it refuses to destroy."

« Reply #722 on: 22 October, 2008, 09:14:16 pm »

And they're getting replaced with V-brake bosses at the weekend.  I hadn't seen them before, either.

The forks are P2s - the original forks match the paintwork of the frame.  'Nuff said ;D

LEE

« Reply #723 on: 22 October, 2008, 09:50:56 pm »
Oh, okay  ;D

Colour-coordinating your bike frame, bar tape and tyres with the trampoline is very classy.

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #724 on: 24 October, 2008, 10:19:16 am »
Oh, okay  ;D

Colour-coordinating your bike frame, bar tape and tyres with the trampoline is very classy.

Not good enough, GruB. You have forgotten to colour co-ordinate the hoods.... (or is it "Hudz"?)  ;)