Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2443868 times)

Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #1000 on: 23 January, 2009, 08:04:35 pm »
It could be if you want. If you don't, it's one of these

I have been after a titanium bike for some while. Van Nicholas and Enigma bikes got more expensive quicker than I could save up for it, and Sunday Sabbath didn't reply to my emails so that was that.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1001 on: 23 January, 2009, 08:11:53 pm »
It's quite pretty.
Getting there...

« Reply #1002 on: 23 January, 2009, 09:59:58 pm »
Have you ridden it yet Aidan?  What is your verdict?

« Reply #1003 on: 23 January, 2009, 10:03:43 pm »

Very nice Adrian!  :) Hope you have many good miles on it.

« Reply #1004 on: 23 January, 2009, 10:04:12 pm »
if there's an uglier bike out there, I've yet to see it...  8)

How about this...

...my recently stickered up Bowery, done in an attempt to keep the thieves at bay

That's a great idea.  Mind if I nick it?  I've probably still got some Beano stickers knocking about somewhere.

The only problem I foresee is that it'll make my bike look better than it does at the moment.

« Reply #1005 on: 23 January, 2009, 11:59:52 pm »
Have you ridden it yet Aidan?  What is your verdict?

Only once so far. Last Sunday I did the same ride that I had done the week before on my Langster, and felt that I was struggling the same. When I got home it turned out that I was quite a bit quicker, so there is some early promise there. I am aiming to do a bit on the local hills either this weekend or next, depending on the weather/social engagements to get a better idea.

I do hope that it is a good choice because the idea is that, having spent a sum of money, we will be together for many a long year.

« Reply #1006 on: 24 January, 2009, 12:44:49 am »
Pumpe was extolling the virtues of Lynskey to me on the BCM last year.  I do covet one.  I like the understated look.  Is it stiff?

« Reply #1007 on: 24 January, 2009, 03:06:59 am »
That's a great idea.  Mind if I nick it?  I've probably still got some Beano stickers knocking about somewhere.

Go for it. Be warned though, I've had 3 people this week stop me to tell me my bike looks cool (that's never happened before). It seems the uglifying project has had the opposite effect. :-\ Then again, if there's one thing about thieves is that they're lazy. To sell it on they'd have to strip all those stickers off so hopefully they'll leave it alone.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #1008 on: 24 January, 2009, 11:59:48 am »
It could be if you want. If you don't, it's one of these

I have been after a titanium bike for some while. Van Nicholas and Enigma bikes got more expensive quicker than I could save up for it, and Sunday Sabbath didn't reply to my emails so that was that.

Very, very nice! :) I'm just building up my own Ti bike - a Ritchey Break-Away Ti/Carbon to take away with me on my frequent trips around the world. Piccy to follow.

TimC

« Reply #1009 on: 24 January, 2009, 12:20:54 pm »
And here it is:

Full Ultegra compact groupset - for £352 from Merlin! - Ritchey Pro and WCS bits, and Fulcrum Racing 7s with Ultra Hamsterskins and Slime tubes. There will be a Fizik Arione saddle when it turns up - and how bloody difficult was it to get a black and red one! The Fulcrum 7s are for taking away on route - cheap, solid and heavy, they're not really for best. A pair of 2009 Ksyrium Elites will fullfil 'best' duties at home - they look, weigh and feel very similar to the 2006 Ksyrium SSC SLs I tried (but couldn't afford) on my Cannondale CAAD8 R1000.

« Reply #1010 on: 24 January, 2009, 12:23:00 pm »
Also very nice and a good idea as it enables you to make the best use of the opportunities the job gives you. I don't know why though, but I would have expected that you would be able to stow a bike on a plane without needing to fold it.

« Reply #1011 on: 24 January, 2009, 12:24:13 pm »

TimC

« Reply #1012 on: 24 January, 2009, 12:25:17 pm »
Also very nice and a good idea as it enables you to make the best use of the opportunities the job gives you. I don't know why though, but I would have expected that you would be able to stow a bike on a plane without needing to fold it.
Ah, sadly not. And I wouldn't trust the baggage handlers any more than anyone else would!

TimC

« Reply #1013 on: 24 January, 2009, 12:32:33 pm »
And here's the Ritchey BB shot - showing the all-important downtube clamp!

« Reply #1014 on: 24 January, 2009, 03:17:12 pm »
let me know what it's like to ride - their CX bike looks like the perfect flying-touring bike.. If only someone sold the steel version over here rather than the ti / carbon one.

TimC

« Reply #1015 on: 24 January, 2009, 03:41:40 pm »
Wiggle do it - and the singlespeed frame too: Steely; Singlespeed

Sadly, they don't do the Ti one any more - I think I may have caused them to lose a lot of money when I bought mine!

Edit: C+ review of the steel frame, with links to suppliers.

« Reply #1016 on: 24 January, 2009, 05:16:00 pm »
the wiggle one is the road frame I think, not the CX.  Anyhoo, I dont need any more bikes at the moment...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1017 on: 24 January, 2009, 09:18:44 pm »
Tim, that bike is delightful - I hope it goes lots of exotic places with you (and your camera, of course ;) ).
Getting there...

TimC

« Reply #1018 on: 25 January, 2009, 11:43:55 am »
I'll do my best to get it to as many places as poss, Clarion - and get the shots to prove it! First outing is likely to be South Africa (Cape Town) next month.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #1019 on: 25 January, 2009, 11:56:42 am »
the wiggle one is the road frame I think, not the CX.  Anyhoo, I dont need any more bikes at the moment...

Blasphemer!  Stone him!
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

alan

« Reply #1020 on: 25 January, 2009, 11:58:35 am »
I dont need any more bikes at the moment...

Heresy, :o bring in the witch-finder General

« Reply #1021 on: 25 January, 2009, 12:00:52 pm »
;D I'm so weak...

I felt terrible writing that yesterday and having seen Simon G's comments on the Singular thread I've emailed them to see when the mike-sized frames are likely to be in stock. Dont tell Mrs Mike, OK?

alan

« Reply #1022 on: 25 January, 2009, 02:38:00 pm »
;D I'm so weak...

I felt terrible writing that yesterday and having seen Simon G's comments on the Singular thread I've emailed them to see when the mike-sized frames are likely to be in stock. Dont tell Mrs Mike, OK?

& there is more joy in heaven for one sinner that repenteth :thumbsup:

« Reply #1023 on: 25 January, 2009, 02:52:42 pm »
Pumpe was extolling the virtues of Lynskey to me on the BCM last year.  I do covet one.  I like the understated look.  Is it stiff?

I would say that it is at the stiffer end of the market. I haven't noticed any chain or brake rub when climbing  out of the saddle for instance. I am a bit of a lightweight though and what is stiff for me might not be for a bigger or more powerful rider.

« Reply #1024 on: 25 January, 2009, 05:53:42 pm »
Inspired by Adrian.

Before:

After: