Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2434556 times)

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #1150 on: 27 February, 2009, 10:34:37 am »
Surprised it didn't get nicked while you were taking the piccies.

boudinnoirsurvélo

« Reply #1151 on: 27 February, 2009, 10:37:27 am »
Surprised it didn't get nicked while you were taking the piccies.

Well I was standing a yard away from it looking straight at it at the time...  ;)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1152 on: 27 February, 2009, 10:41:50 am »
Peckham they'd have had it away whatever...
Getting there...

Blah

• Not sure where I'm going
« Reply #1153 on: 27 February, 2009, 10:56:08 am »
It's a Ribble, isn't it?  One of their budget winter bikes?  Looks pretty good!

Chris N FTW! Yep, it's their sloping top tube Audax bike. For the price (£120 including frame, headset, seat collar, carbon forks with carbon steerer) it's just amazing value. The finish is really good, and the attention to detail as well. It was well wrapped when it arrived, it had bolts in the mudguard eyes and in the bottle cage ones too.

The decals are really easy to peel off, which in my opinion is a benefit :-)

Blah, that is class, but why didn't you go for black mudguards?

Because I didn't have any in my parts box ;-)

Frame, forks, brakes and ergos are new, all the rest has been scrounged off other bikes, swapped with mates for parts and raided from the parts box.

« Reply #1154 on: 27 February, 2009, 12:08:00 pm »

Limited edition Cannondale Black Lightning

Condor 653 single speed

Dahon Cadenza folder

« Reply #1155 on: 27 February, 2009, 12:09:56 pm »
that cannondale looks fantastic!  Whats the black thing on the top of the seat tube on the dahon? Is that something to do with the fold?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1156 on: 27 February, 2009, 12:10:27 pm »
Looks like a good selection.
Getting there...

« Reply #1157 on: 27 February, 2009, 12:17:30 pm »
that cannondale looks fantastic!  Whats the black thing on the top of the seat tube on the dahon? Is that something to do with the fold?

Should have said, it is the bracket for my bobkie child seat. The fold is just the is just the two circles you can see on the top tube and the down tube.

I love the Cannondale and it's one of only 300 in the world. I got it secondhand on ebay 2 years ago.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #1158 on: 27 February, 2009, 04:56:52 pm »
Another 'dale fan! I have an R1000 CAAD8, and I reckon it's the best frame I've ever ridden. And I could stare at the welding in wonder all day!

« Reply #1159 on: 27 February, 2009, 05:52:10 pm »
Another 'dale fan!

And another one. I've always wanted one.
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #1160 on: 01 March, 2009, 09:22:52 am »
Blah, your new bike looks fantastic.  I've been on the look out for just such a frame and I think you've found it for me - thanks!

Could you fit a rack and panniers on the back of it without your heels clipping the luggage?  The chain stays look long enough.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #1161 on: 01 March, 2009, 05:12:40 pm »
That 'Dale reminds me of the old JPS racing car which I had toy/model of when I was about 10. I once knew someone who had a Ford Capri done out in the same decals. Classy.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #1162 on: 01 March, 2009, 08:58:30 pm »
There are some that would ay the words 'Ford Capri' and 'classy' were somewhat mutually exclusive.  ;D
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #1163 on: 01 March, 2009, 10:37:52 pm »
 ;)

Blah

« Reply #1164 on: 02 March, 2009, 11:31:38 am »
Blah, your new bike looks fantastic.  I've been on the look out for just such a frame and I think you've found it for me - thanks!

Could you fit a rack and panniers on the back of it without your heels clipping the luggage?  The chain stays look long enough.

Thank you   :-*

There are no braze-ons for a rack, even though I was expecting them. Just looking at the Ribble site again, it's only the horizontal top tube version (which takes normal as opposed to deep drop brakes) that has rack lugs. Interesting that, the version designed for narrower tyres takes a rack...

In any case, you could do it with p-clips. I'm not sure the stays are long enough, this all depends on your shoe size, where you put your cleats on your shoes, and the position of and which luggage you plan to use.

In terms of handling, it's actually a pleasingly sporty number. I don't think you'd want to put a lot of weight on it, and if you were to do so, I'd go down the Carradice saddle bag route.

For me, I'll treat like a racing bike, but with mudguards.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #1165 on: 02 March, 2009, 11:39:31 am »

Thank you   :-*

There are no braze-ons for a rack, even though I was expecting them. Just looking at the Ribble site again, it's only the horizontal top tube version (which takes normal as opposed to deep drop brakes) that has rack lugs. Interesting that, the version designed for narrower tyres takes a rack...

In any case, you could do it with p-clips. I'm not sure the stays are long enough, this all depends on your shoe size, where you put your cleats on your shoes, and the position of and which luggage you plan to use.

In terms of handling, it's actually a pleasingly sporty number. I don't think you'd want to put a lot of weight on it, and if you were to do so, I'd go down the Carradice saddle bag route.

For me, I'll treat like a racing bike, but with mudguards.

So inspired was I that I spent some time over the weekend studying Ribble's site.  Guess what?  I have ordered the horizontal tube version for two reasons.  First they didn't seem to have the sloping tube version in my size (I'm tall).  Second the horizontal tube version mentioned rack fittings.

This is all rather exciting and a bit scary.  I have never built a bike before.  I plan to move the components from my Orbea race frame over onto the more sensible Ribble frame.  I could be making a huge mistake as I really haven't a clue what I'm doing.  But, what the heck, no-one is going to die. The worse case scenario is I take the whole lot to my local bike shop and leave it there with my credit card details.  ;D

Blah

« Reply #1166 on: 02 March, 2009, 01:42:40 pm »
So inspired was I that I spent some time over the weekend studying Ribble's site.  Guess what?  I have ordered the horizontal tube version for two reasons.  First they didn't seem to have the sloping tube version in my size (I'm tall).  Second the horizontal tube version mentioned rack fittings.

This is all rather exciting and a bit scary.  I have never built a bike before.  I plan to move the components from my Orbea race frame over onto the more sensible Ribble frame.  I could be making a huge mistake as I really haven't a clue what I'm doing.  But, what the heck, no-one is going to die. The worse case scenario is I take the whole lot to my local bike shop and leave it there with my credit card details.  ;D

Well done that man! If you look a bit of fettling you should be fine. As you said, no-one's going to die and if you're stuck, just take it to the LBS. If they don't like it, that's a sure sign of changing LBS's.

I'm pretty happy with my LBS. I rang yesterday at 16:45. Chap answers so I say "You're obviously open". Says he "No, we shut 45 minutes ago, I just answered out of courtesy. What do you need, are you local and are you stuck?" So I say I need some outer cable and it'll take 15 minutes to get there. The kind man stayed open for an item that I paid £2 for. I was impressed.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1167 on: 02 March, 2009, 02:44:25 pm »
Good service! :thumbsup:
Getting there...

alan

« Reply #1168 on: 02 March, 2009, 06:03:46 pm »
Now then Blah give credit where it's due & tell us the name of your lbs

« Reply #1169 on: 02 March, 2009, 09:21:32 pm »
Interesting machine, Chocolatebike! Enjoy  :)

What do you think of the ti fork?

More experience now.
Executive summary:- IT. IS. MARVELLOUS.

I went out this evening and I kept looking if the tyre was going soft*, it was that smooth.
It seems to totally smooth out road buzz and it takes some of the sting out of bigger bumps.
I'm impressed  :thumbsup:

*I believe it's a cliche to say that but I really did look  ;)

Blah

« Reply #1170 on: 03 March, 2009, 08:04:38 am »
Now then Blah give credit where it's due & tell us the name of your lbs

John's bikes in Bath! Highly recommended.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #1171 on: 03 March, 2009, 11:59:57 am »
Picked up my Peregrine yesterday

[/quote]

Just a quick ride home yesterday, hoping to get out for a proper ride today

EDIT Moved photo to Flickr so Clarion's post below may be redundant. Or he may have really bad eyes :)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1172 on: 03 March, 2009, 12:11:37 pm »
Aww - little pic. :(  Any chance of summat bigger, so I don't need a magnifying glass to admire your lovely machine?
Getting there...

« Reply #1173 on: 03 March, 2009, 01:22:48 pm »
Very, very nice  :thumbsup:
So much better than the bike that Singular had on their stand at the bike show.

Discs are the way forward IMO for touring, commuting and pootling.

What's the spec Paul ?

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #1174 on: 03 March, 2009, 01:31:22 pm »
Very, very nice  :thumbsup:
So much better than the bike that Singular had on their stand at the bike show.

Discs are the way forward IMO for touring, commuting and pootling.

What's the spec Paul ?

Thanks - I've fitted Shimano 105 Triple, Avid BB7 discs and Mavic TN719 rims on XT hubs. May change the bag for a leather Brooks one.