Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2429753 times)

alan

Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #1200 on: 12 March, 2009, 03:10:28 pm »
cbaggaley@btinternet.com

The Jury is still out on the Topeak TriBag (small bag behind quill-stem)

I too have recently put one of these on my bike to give instant access to maltloaf,mars bars,cake etc but am not sure it will be a permenant feature.

Interestingly I am considering adding a Barley to the tourer because I find I am putting more & more into the bar bag & increasing the weight to a degree that is noticeable on the steering.

« Reply #1201 on: 12 March, 2009, 03:23:43 pm »
My new longer-distance Audax set-up.

Looking good. Now all you need to do is ditch the drops, fit tri-bars and get rid of those excessive gears and you've got my Audax bike.

Red and white frame: check
Brooks: check
Tortec rack: check
Creek2Peak rack pack: check
Topeak TriBag: check
Rixen&Kaul Minimap: check
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

LEE

« Reply #1202 on: 12 March, 2009, 03:34:30 pm »
cbaggaley@btinternet.com

The Jury is still out on the Topeak TriBag (small bag behind quill-stem)

I too have recently put one of these on my bike to give instant access to maltloaf,mars bars,cake etc but am not sure it will be a permenant feature.

Interestingly I am considering adding a Barley to the tourer because I find I am putting more & more into the bar bag & increasing the weight to a degree that is noticeable on the steering.

The Barley is just about perfect for any day ride or possibly longer, fair-weather, credit card touring.  A couple of toe-clip straps through the external D-rings, for wet-gear, make it even more practical.

The buckles are a faff sometimes but worth it for the looks imo.

The idea behind the Rack Pack is that you open the lid with a zip and everything is there.  On the Midhurst 600 I eventually lost the necessary will to unpack/pack the Barley carefully enough.

Note.  I can't help thinking that the Tortec rack sits unneccessarily high.  It's a 700c bike so why the need for such a gap between top of mudguard and bottom of rack I don't know.

« Reply #1203 on: 12 March, 2009, 03:39:00 pm »
Exactly. I have a Barley for rides up to 400km. It's just not quite big enough for what I want to carry on a 600 (although I know some people did PBP with just a Barley).

I'm using my Creek2Peak rack pack for the forthcoming ride up to Edinburgh because I have to carry extra clothes and other stuff as there are no bag drops.

LEE

« Reply #1204 on: 12 March, 2009, 03:54:06 pm »
Exactly. I have a Barley for rides up to 400km. It's just not quite big enough for what I want to carry on a 600 (although I know some people did PBP with just a Barley).

I'm using my Creek2Peak rack pack for the forthcoming ride up to Edinburgh because I have to carry extra clothes and other stuff as there are no bag drops.

Any photos of your setup (with Tortec)?  I'd like to see how high it sits in relation to rear wheel.  My Blackburn Rack was much tighter to the wheel. 

« Reply #1205 on: 12 March, 2009, 04:01:08 pm »
Any photos of your setup (with Tortec)?  I'd like to see how high it sits in relation to rear wheel.  My Blackburn Rack was much tighter to the wheel. 

It's been moved back to level since this photo was taken:-

http://www.greenbank.org/bikes/tempo/tempo7.jpg

Updated photo to come as I'll be fitting the Creek2Peak rack pack and Topeak TriBag in preparation for Sunday.

Chris N

« Reply #1206 on: 12 March, 2009, 04:21:46 pm »

It does sit quite high.  I'd be tempted to cut the vertical stays shorter, hammer a new flat on each one and re-drill the holes to make it sit closer to the wheel.

« Reply #1207 on: 12 March, 2009, 04:41:42 pm »
About a year back there was a thread in BR about racks and their height above 700c wheels.  I was going to change from current Topeak Super Tourist to a Tortec Ultralight but decided not to as it may have looked strange(er) without mudguards.   The Topeak would be better without the "landing strip" but sits a bit lower and the pack is also slightly lower.  At my age I struggle getting my leg over early in the day - almost impossible after a good ride.

must stress that I do nothing like the miles that most of you guys do.

« Reply #1208 on: 12 March, 2009, 06:52:21 pm »
I'd be tempted to cut the vertical stays shorter

I have done with no problems at all. I just cut the flat sections off and drilled from the drain hole at the rear, through to the front. It's dropped mine about 35mm which doesn't sound too much but it looks better.

You can't hammer flat because it's solid at the bottom where a metal plug is inserted before they are actually flattened in the manufacturing process.
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

Chris N

« Reply #1209 on: 12 March, 2009, 07:35:42 pm »
Good fix.  I'd forgotten that they were made from tube and not solid rod.

LEE

« Reply #1210 on: 12 March, 2009, 07:43:33 pm »
It seems like quite an oversight, to make an 'ultralight' rack, too large.

« Reply #1211 on: 12 March, 2009, 10:55:43 pm »
My new longer-distance Audax set-up.

I used a similar set up on PBP, my rack pack had fold down mini - panniers though - ideal!

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #1212 on: 12 March, 2009, 11:47:35 pm »

My Dahon Jetstream XP 2004 model, upgraded with DualDrive hub for utterly ridiculous but useful gear range. I've since changed the saddle and pedals, might get round to taking more pics of it sometime. Haven't got any pics of my Cadenza, yet.
BTW it was late afternoon, auto flash on the camera, hence demonstration that Schwalbe's reflective strips work.

Why don't the links Flickr want you to use work? I'm not complying with their T&Cs, but only because this was the only way to show the photo & not a link!

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #1213 on: 13 March, 2009, 06:49:34 am »
Does your ISP account give free webspace?  Just upload the pictures to there - you don't need an FTP program as Windows Explorer does the job.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #1214 on: 13 March, 2009, 08:33:25 am »

My Dahon Jetstream XP 2004 model, upgraded with DualDrive hub for utterly ridiculous but useful gear range. I've since changed the saddle and pedals, might get round to taking more pics of it sometime. Haven't got any pics of my Cadenza, yet.

Beautiful bike!
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #1215 on: 13 March, 2009, 10:35:12 am »
Does your ISP account give free webspace?  Just upload the pictures to there - you don't need an FTP program as Windows Explorer does the job.
Good point. Might do that. I looked at the thread on getting the Flickr links to work & nothing I did made them play ball. It's just stupid that what they say you should do to link to an image- and the links themselves- just don't work in practice. If anyone has got them to work, I'd like to know how.

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #1216 on: 13 March, 2009, 10:37:52 am »
Beautiful bike!
Why thank you (you can't really see the nicks and scratches on the pic!). Looking a bit less gorgeous today, just been out for ten miles in moist and muddy roads, so it'll be washed at the weekend. Again...

Craig

« Reply #1217 on: 13 March, 2009, 11:54:00 am »
Good point. Might do that. I looked at the thread on getting the Flickr links to work & nothing I did made them play ball. It's just stupid that what they say you should do to link to an image- and the links themselves- just don't work in practice. If anyone has got them to work, I'd like to know how.
Flickr provide HTML code for linking to the image. To link to an image on this forum, you need to use BBCode. If you are using Firefox with Greasemonkey there's a few scripts that will provide the required BBCode for each image.

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #1218 on: 14 March, 2009, 12:12:02 am »
Flickr provide HTML code for linking to the image. To link to an image on this forum, you need to use BBCode. If you are using Firefox with Greasemonkey there's a few scripts that will provide the required BBCode for each image.
Thanks Craig, found one or two scripts that work, so modified the post with the photo. Nothing like that for Safari I think, but not a problem to use Firefox instead.

Fixedwheelnut

• "If it ain't fixed it's broken"
    • My photos
« Reply #1219 on: 14 March, 2009, 05:16:00 pm »

Stuaff to link photo's from flickr, grab the image url and paste it between image tags {img}photo image url{/img} with the correct brackets []

Flickr like links to refer you to the photo's home page so I use the following with the itallics replaced with the correct url link and the {} brackets replaced with square brackets[]
{url=Photo page url link}{img}Rightclick viewimagelink{/img}{/url}
That way you see the image and clicking it takes you to the Flickr page.

here it is in practise, if you hit the quote button you should see how it works.

"Don't stop pedalling"

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #1220 on: 14 March, 2009, 11:23:24 pm »

Stuaff to link photo's from flickr, grab the image url and paste it between image tags {img}photo image url{/img} with the correct brackets []

Flickr like links to refer you to the photo's home page so I use the following with the itallics replaced with the correct url link and the {} brackets replaced with square brackets[]
{url=Photo page url link}{img}Rightclick viewimagelink{/img}{/url}
That way you see the image and clicking it takes you to the Flickr page.

here it is in practise, if you hit the quote button you should see how it works.

Thanks for that, Greasemonkey & scripts gave me the same result as it turned out (I amended my post with the revised link), but it's handy to know the manual way to do it as well.

Fixedwheelnut

• "If it ain't fixed it's broken"
    • My photos
« Reply #1221 on: 15 March, 2009, 12:02:18 am »
Greasemonkey & scripts?  Which one  did you use? it would be handy to have an automated way of doing it.
"Don't stop pedalling"

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #1222 on: 15 March, 2009, 12:09:45 am »
Greasemonkey & scripts?  Which one  did you use? it would be handy to have an automated way of doing it.
Having checked, Flickr BCCode Generator Flickr BBCode Generator for Greasemonkey
Install Greasemonkey, then that, and you get the BCC code script ready to use on the 'All Sizes' page. It links back to the original page as per your demo & Flickr's T&Cs. Phorumr also does the same job.

« Reply #1223 on: 15 March, 2009, 10:29:13 am »
Yesterday PaulD looked at my MonstaThorn after the Wiltshire White Horses and commented that is was turning into an 'Uber machine'. 

I felt so proud of her  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #1224 on: 15 March, 2009, 11:26:38 am »
Thanks Craig, found one or two scripts that work, so modified the post with the photo. Nothing like that for Safari I think, but not a problem to use Firefox instead.

Go to the photo. Choose all sizes. Choose the size you want to display, then right click and copy image address. Paste this in here. Against the rules of Flickr, but I have a paid account, so I break the rules!  :)
It is simpler than it looks.