Author Topic: ronhill bikester tights..?  (Read 16790 times)

ronhill bikester tights..?
« on: 29 March, 2010, 01:47:34 pm »
Just looking to replace the ones I've just rubbed on the road and put a hole in.  Wiggle don't seem to stock any longer.  Are the Bikester (w/o pads) the same as tracksters?  Anyone know of retailers, or a good value equivalent?

Andy
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: ronhill bikester tights..?
« Reply #1 on: 29 March, 2010, 01:53:35 pm »
JFGI!

« Reply #2 on: 29 March, 2010, 01:55:00 pm »
The tracksters, beloved of '70s PE teachers, don't have the high cut back of the bikesters.

« Reply #3 on: 29 March, 2010, 02:20:27 pm »
Ggling didn't seem to turn them up on bike sites.  I'm obviously after the unpopular stuff.. ;)  They are out there though.

« Reply #5 on: 29 March, 2010, 02:52:43 pm »
There are some on ebay :)
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6 on: 29 March, 2010, 03:06:44 pm »
PBK do them. Or used to, at least.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Zoidburg

« Reply #7 on: 29 March, 2010, 05:06:02 pm »

« Reply #8 on: 29 March, 2010, 05:39:37 pm »

« Reply #9 on: 29 March, 2010, 05:46:18 pm »
I couldn't find any biking kit on the ronhill site today.  Have they stopped bikester production?

« Reply #10 on: 29 March, 2010, 06:01:36 pm »
I couldn't find any biking kit on the ronhill site today.  Have they stopped bikester production?

Thanks all.  IME when wiggle says discontinued it means the manufacturer has stopped them (but not always I suppose). e.g. smart lights I wanted a while back...Smart had brought out a new line.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #11 on: 29 March, 2010, 06:15:37 pm »
Wiggle also say "discontinued" when they have decided to stop supplying an item even when the manufacturer is still making it.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #12 on: 29 March, 2010, 06:46:26 pm »
JFGI!
Do you mean 'Google'? Cos the problem with old stuff is that Google doesn't know when product lines are discontinued.

(I shan't ask what the 'F' stands for ... )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #13 on: 29 March, 2010, 09:57:43 pm »
I Googled for 'bikester' and got several sites that appeared to sell them, mostly for around £22.

« Reply #14 on: 29 March, 2010, 10:05:53 pm »
When I was looking I settled on the Altura Winter Cruisers from Wiggle, the ones without a pad, for about £25. These are very comfy and I wear them over bib shorts, or 3/4 if very cold.
Nuns, no sense of humour

Chris S

« Reply #15 on: 29 March, 2010, 10:06:51 pm »
Bikesters are quite useful - they are my preferred over-wear in the Winter 6 months of the year. This doesn't explain why they are so hard to come by.

When I first bought some, a few years ago, they were £22 for Two Pairs on a Wiggle special.

Now you can just about get one pair for that if you dig about on the interweb. What's going on? Am I the only person who uses them? Surely not!

« Reply #16 on: 29 March, 2010, 10:36:01 pm »
When I was looking I settled on the Altura Winter Cruisers from Wiggle, the ones without a pad, for about £25. These are very comfy and I wear them over bib shorts, or 3/4 if very cold.

I couldn't get any Bikesters when I was looking and did the same, went over to winter cruisers. They have been very good over this winter. Wore them with boxer shorts and long john's when it was very cold and just the boxer shorts when it warmed up a bit, very comfy and cosy.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #17 on: 30 March, 2010, 09:21:16 am »
No, Bikesters are for spring! For winter I wear the aforementioned Tudor things - nice fleecey lining.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #18 on: 30 March, 2010, 10:23:36 am »
I Googled for 'bikester' and got several sites that appeared to sell them, mostly for around £22.
"appeared"
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #19 on: 30 March, 2010, 09:57:49 pm »
No, Bikesters are for spring! For winter I wear the aforementioned Tudor things - nice fleecey lining.

I used my bikesters for winter tights, used to start wearing them when it got to cold for shorts, and wore them until it got warm enough to go back to shorts.

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #20 on: 31 March, 2010, 12:49:13 pm »
Winsport sell biksters Ronhill Bikester Trackster | Running Clothes | Wynsport.com as do pro4sport Pro4Sport Ltd - Ronhill Bikester Trackster (03116) both at £16.99
Is it a sign I'm getting older when I start to like tudor sports kit   :o
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #21 on: 01 April, 2010, 11:27:21 am »
pro4sport Pro4Sport Ltd - Ronhill Bikester Trackster (03116) both at £16.99
( + £2 p&P )
Ordered - thanks fungus. I'll update if they turn out to be fictitious stock!

(the chap on the phone didn't suggest they'd be getting to me very quickly, so don't expect 'modern' overnight delivery times.)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
« Reply #22 on: 01 April, 2010, 11:33:28 am »
A real actual LBS that stocked the Ron Hill Bikesters a year or so ago is Bigfoot Bikes in Hayes, Kent; 020 8462 5004. They may know more about the state of supply.
Not especially helpful or mature

« Reply #23 on: 02 April, 2010, 01:06:42 pm »
I had to replace a pair after an off late last year. I got something else from a bike shop - Altura - no idea what "model" - as the web supplies turned out to be a bit ficticious. Prefer the Alturas which cost a bit over £30.
Events I am running: 5th September 2021, the unseasonal Wellesden Reliability; HOPEFULLY Early April 2022, 3 Down London - New Forest 300K Audax;

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #24 on: 02 April, 2010, 11:48:01 pm »
"appeared"

Quite. Google search results often promise more than they deliver. I asked the same question a few months ago when I was looking for new Bikesters. I was also given the "JFGI" response then.  ::-)

I'm pretty certain Ronhill aren't making Bikesters any more.  :(

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."