Author Topic: Battle Mountain 2016  (Read 16879 times)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Re: Battle Mountain 2016
« Reply #50 on: 18 September, 2016, 10:19:08 pm »
Battle Mountain makes it to Her Majesty's BBC.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-37395538
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #51 on: 19 September, 2016, 01:45:11 am »
Well, that is all over for another twelvemonth and, in a spirit of international cooperation and magnanimous wossnamery, here is notorious Frenchman Aurélien Bonneteau being persuaded to wear a Team Cygnus T-shaped shirt by Radio Goddess and all-round top gel Marieke Ligtvoet:

Auré & Marieke by Mr Larrington, on Flickr
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #52 on: 19 September, 2016, 11:37:37 pm »
New world record by Todd Reichert: 89.59 mph :o

Sadly for we BRITONS Ken Buckley stacked ARION2 for reasons as yet unknown, but possibly to do with wind.  He's OK and the bike wasn't too bad but bad enough to deny Yasmin Tredell a chance to run, which is a chiz coz she reckoned she was in with a shout  of surpassing Barbara Buatois' world mark :'(

Great stuff Dave. You'll have to go again next year to tell us what happens.

What would be good to see is Yasmin and Barbara there at the same time :-)
Garry Broad

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #53 on: 20 September, 2016, 07:03:04 am »
My hotel room is already booked for next year though that'll get messed up if the event is moved to late August to get better weather.  AeroVelo's Cam Robertson says 90 mph is aiming too low, and they're also looking at having a go at the Hour if they can figure out how to stop Todd from cooking himself medium rare.

Yasmin said she's allowed three weeks off from rowing training per year and would like to take them around September 2017 :thumbsup:  ARION2 wasn't too badly damaged - less so than ARION1 when Ken stuffed it midweek last year - but they're supposed to be doing a handcycle project with Alan Grace next year and many of their PSOs will have graduated before the 2017 event.  No-one has heard a peep out of Barbara for ages, though Georgi Geogiev has built a new bike and was rumoured to be bringing it to this year's event in the hope of finding a rider.  He didn't appear chiz.  There were high hopes for Teagan Patterson as well but she seems to have dropped off the grid as thoroughly as Barbara.

Delft's latest bike was a bit of a donkey though at least it didn't fall over all the time like wot VeloX 5 did last year.  Their problem is that they (have to?) build a new bike every year and not much info seems to be passed between separate generations of Oaves.  Jan Bos went faster in VeloX 2.  The Italians are hoping to put together a new bike for Andrea, but it seems unlikely that Komori-san and his team will be back as Super Ketta Machine 162 was built purely for a TV show.  And neither Yasmin nor Ken would fit in it anyway.  Gareth Hanks says that "if he comes back it'll be on two wheels".  And I don't know why Cygnus Chronos is slower than the larger Cygnus Beta (which had to accommodate Western Half-Devil Monster Face van Schaik) but we need either a lot more starting practice or a sk8r d00d.

No-one knows what the French are likely to do next :demon:

« Reply #54 on: 20 September, 2016, 09:07:16 am »
You need a quad skater and an inline skater.

The quad skater can squat right down, literally sitting on their heels. The inline skater can push their shoulders.

That gives you a configuration that can support the lowest of the low racers.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #55 on: 20 September, 2016, 10:56:55 am »
The Mormon temple in yesterday's Automatic Diary looks as if architecturally it's taken straight from Moscow, probably one of the Lomonosov University buildings up on the hills.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #56 on: 20 September, 2016, 01:35:30 pm »
Are the two wheeled machines allowed to have some sort of gyro stabilisation? I can't imagine how you would keep one upright when your view of the outside world is limited to a TV screen.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #57 on: 20 September, 2016, 02:07:41 pm »
Are the two wheeled machines allowed to have some sort of gyro stabilisation? I can't imagine how you would keep one upright when your view of the outside world is limited to a TV screen.

I don't think anybody's tried it yet so the jury hasn't even been appointed, never mind sent out.  My gut feeling would be that it wouldn't be allowed.  People have been riding camera bikes without balance issues for the thick end of twenty years and systems are much more reliable and have much less time lag now than they did then.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #58 on: 20 September, 2016, 06:42:41 pm »
I can't imagine how you would keep one upright when your view of the outside world is limited to a TV screen.

Presumably it's a lot like keeping a bike upright with your eyes closed (try it some time, when you've got lots of space without anything to crash into), only with the added bonus of knowing where you're going.

Not to belittle the challenge of keeping any of these machines upright, of course.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #59 on: 20 September, 2016, 07:20:40 pm »
Ah good thought, like the time on the Dun Run when I woke up on the wrong side of the road! ???
216km from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #60 on: 21 September, 2016, 01:30:44 pm »
Bicycle hits 88 mph, travels back in time!    :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUcyURXe5yU

(sorry if already posted)
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #61 on: 21 September, 2016, 11:07:05 pm »
Just in from the awards bash.  New multi-track record for Gareth Hanks: 73.95 mph...

What's involved in the multi-track record?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #62 on: 21 September, 2016, 11:08:27 pm »
Just in from the awards bash.  New multi-track record for Gareth Hanks: 73.95 mph...

>2 wheels?

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #63 on: 22 September, 2016, 12:41:42 am »

>2 wheels?

And not in-line, to prevent piss-taking from people dangling a skate wheel under a bike.

P9140229 by Mr Larrington, on Flickr.  Current iteration of All Overzealous setting off for a 72.6 mph run on the Wednesday.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #64 on: 22 September, 2016, 09:57:14 am »

>2 wheels?

And not in-line, to prevent piss-taking from people dangling a skate wheel under a bike.

P9140229 by Mr Larrington, on Flickr.  Current iteration of All Overzealous setting off for a 72.6 mph run on the Wednesday.

OK, ta  :)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #65 on: 22 September, 2016, 01:45:03 pm »
I assume there isn't a ruling on human-powered segways...

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #66 on: 22 September, 2016, 02:38:43 pm »
I assume there isn't a ruling on human-powered segways...

As long as it has a fairing to protect the occupant
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Oranj

• Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it?
« Reply #67 on: 23 September, 2016, 06:37:23 pm »
Today I experimentally dunked a stroopwafel in my tea. Not bad.

Oranj

« Reply #68 on: 23 September, 2016, 10:49:34 pm »
More seriously: Why aren't the aeroshells these bikes are covered in not see-through?

OK, I can see that aesthetically, having all the gubbins on show wouldn't be so pretty, but it would give the rider more chance of seeing where they are in the world.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #69 on: 24 September, 2016, 02:20:30 am »
Most of the shells these days are structural and even those that aren't have to be pretty sturdy if they're to stay in one piece if the rider decks it at R17.  Carbon/kevlar mixture generally required.

P9190109 by Mr Larrington, on Flickr.  Damage to Eivie 4.2 sustained on the final night of the 2015 event when Damjan Zabovnik decked it with a flat tyre in the slowing down phase after an 80 mph pass and bounced off the bridge rails.

« Reply #70 on: 24 September, 2016, 02:17:20 pm »
Transparent materials that can be formed  to the sort of aero shapes seen at Battle Mountain also require sturdiness to maintain the aero properties. The shell would need to be around 3mm thick, compared with 1.5mm or so of a carbon/kevlar skin. It would also be difficult to achieve an undistorted view through such complex multiply curved surfaces.
What's this bottom line for anyway?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #71 on: 24 September, 2016, 02:23:52 pm »
Plus the transparency would be impaired as soon as the first guy decks it.

And condensation might be a problem?  Not familiar enough with the weather conditions...

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #72 on: 24 September, 2016, 10:07:15 pm »
First thing in the morning it's usually a bit nippy - close to freezing usually.  Back in the old days, when we didn't have these new-fangled morning runs, it wasn't an issue.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #73 on: 26 September, 2016, 09:26:02 am »
Hurrah! For the return of Mr. Larrington safe from Leftpondia.
Hurrah! For the continuing drivel literature od teh Automatic Diary.
Boo! For the slowness of Leftpondian Intertubes.

Dave! Where's the book1?

1'Everything That Is Crap About Modern Life' by Mr. Larrington
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Oranj

« Reply #74 on: 26 September, 2016, 08:33:29 pm »
Ah yes, I was forgetting about just how stiff and light the shell has to be. I guess that once you've got the hang of steering it, darkness inside helps with the contrast on the LCD screens.

One thing that is messing with my noggin (I can't find the link I read this from now, sorry) is that on that "slow" run on the Friday afternoon, Todd could tell the bike wasn't quite set up right because he has an on-screen read out of how it's doing against the power/drag ratio he's supposedly putting out. So he went through the traps at like, 79mph, just cruising. Later that evening, the team found a bug squashed on the nose of the shell which caused measurable drag (!!) and Todd to abort the run. They re-waxed the shell for Saturday's WR run. That is just a crazy level of detail.

PS. A nice moment when the crowd in the bleachers saw that anything starting 4-point-something for 200m on the timing clock was going to be a speed north of 89.48mph and a new World Record https://www.facebook.com/paul.gracey.3/posts/1334965463188180