Author Topic: Doorstep Milk delivery  (Read 24395 times)

ian

Re: Doorstep Milk delivery
« Reply #25 on: 08 December, 2019, 01:09:28 pm »
Surely that defeats Mr Kellogg's stated purpose.

I don't like breakfast cereal on account that it's cardboard that we've somehow been cultured to eat.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #26 on: 08 December, 2019, 01:17:49 pm »
The 1960s Tetrapack used to explode most gratifyingly when tossed from the third floor. I suppose you could call that a doorstep delivery.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #27 on: 08 December, 2019, 01:18:02 pm »

Not if you use skimmed...   :hand:

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #28 on: 08 December, 2019, 03:30:34 pm »
As a kid, our household would get 4-6 pints of full-cream milk every day for parents & 5 kids.

Mum never had breakfast cereals, though everyone else did. Quite a lot of milk was used in cooking, custard and hot drinks for the grown-ups.

Mum drank up to two pints per day when I was younger and she was pregnant or feeding.

We get through a pint at breakfast time and more for our hot drinks later in the day so use about 9 pints per week.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #29 on: 08 December, 2019, 03:31:28 pm »
Plastic sachets and a 'jug-it' jug for them were a Thing around 2010.

Discontinued after I'd bought a few jugs...

Still de rigeur in (parts of) Canada, apparently.  Not the bits of Canada I've made tea in though.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #30 on: 08 December, 2019, 05:03:42 pm »

I remember those in Poland a few years earlier. Actually could have been as early as 2002. It wasn't around long, I think people found it went off quickly.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #31 on: 08 December, 2019, 05:05:32 pm »

Not if you use skimmed...   :hand:
Skimmed milk is simply blue water in a milk bottle, and bluewater is sexy because, as every good BRITON knows, bluewater is shopping and shopping is sexier than sex. JennyB's old man was right...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #32 on: 08 December, 2019, 05:10:58 pm »
The 2-pint Jug-It Pouches were available from Sainsbury's for a couple of years and then discontinued. Milk was slightly cheaper than in plastic bottles.
The milkman also supplied these, but stopped.

« Reply #33 on: 08 December, 2019, 05:15:11 pm »
We get milk from McQueens dairies because milk and more don't deliver here. They don't have the range that milk and more have, and you have to be more organised than I to change your order, so I have it set at a minimum (2 pints on Mondays, 3 pints and a litre of apple juice on Thursdays) and top up with 4 pints in plastic most weeks. Milk and More required much less planning as they have an app and you can change the order up until 9 pm the night before.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #34 on: 08 December, 2019, 05:24:30 pm »
I've just looked, and apparently Milk and More would deliver here, and do Lactofree at an appropriately steep markup.  Then I remembered it would just get nicked by BloodyStudents unless we installed some sort of high-security milk bunker.

Not that it really matters, the stuff has a long shelf life and 6 litres (reasonable maximum for fridge and pannier) will last barakta a couple of weeks.

« Reply #35 on: 08 December, 2019, 06:53:07 pm »
I've having a pint a week off McQueens for the last couple of months. I only use it for making milk kefir. I've not noticed any taste change over the supermarket milk I used to buy but the Mk grains love it and have been growing well which they were very reluctant to do before.

« Reply #36 on: 20 December, 2019, 03:20:02 pm »
we get 3 ltr per week but it comes in plastic bottles. Pints would come in glass but are more expensive.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #37 on: 20 December, 2019, 04:05:36 pm »
One pint of homogenised semi-skimmed in a glass bottle from Milk & More cost me 81p.
Two pints of homogenised semi-skimmed in a plastic bottle from Sainsbury's is 80p.

« Reply #38 on: 20 December, 2019, 04:27:17 pm »
We have our semi-skimmed delivered once a fortnight by Mr Tesco along with most of the rest of our groceries
We buy the filtered own-brand Cravendale-like stuff and we've never had any go off.
I doubt there's any green difference between a Tesco van delivering to us and a dozen other households compared to us driving to the retched place, but it's so much better for my stress levels.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #39 on: 20 December, 2019, 04:44:25 pm »
I get a Sainsbury's grocery delivery as needed, every 5-10 days. We are car-free and online shopping reduces stress and gives me a chance to consider my purchases MUCH more carefully than in a shop.

We get 7 pints of milk delivered per week and about 2 pints of Sainsbury's milk.

« Reply #40 on: 20 December, 2019, 04:49:28 pm »
No one will deliver here, because we're in a flat. I'd like to get glass bottles really, but plastic is the only stuff available - so Cravendale (or the Tesco version) it is.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #41 on: 20 December, 2019, 07:51:30 pm »
We seem to have cut our milk consumption almost to zero now that Mrs Cudzo has decided a growing boy needs a proper breakfast, especially in the winter, especially if he gets up early to deliver papers, rather than cornflakes or whatever the name of his second favourite cereal was.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #42 on: 20 December, 2019, 08:03:48 pm »
Sadly, having been a supporter of the milkman and glass bottles for about 30 years we've stopped the service . . . for a number of reasons:

1  The delivery was about 0430 and the truck rattled over the cobbles/paving in our cul de sac making a noise that was annoying to the neighbours (we sleep at the back of the house)
2  When the truck threw itself into a 3 point turn the rattling increased and the full-beam headlights blasted 4 adjacent houses, again annoying people at the ungodly hour
3  The milk used to come from a depot about a mile away (presumably shipped there in a refrigerated truck) - it now comes on the open delivery truck from the environs of Birmingham probably 20 miles away - the result, with the slightest warmth in the weather, is that the milk is on the doorstep at 0430 until about 0800 and warms up - thus going off rather faster than it should.

It's a real pity - we've moved onto plastic (although it's great fun using the steam wand on our coffee machine to heat and flatten the plastic bottles for the recycling bin)

Rob

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #43 on: 23 December, 2019, 12:28:23 pm »
I am disgruntled!
Milk deliveries are cancelled on Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year's Day. Fine, no problem, we've known months ahead.

Milk and more have sent numerous emails explaining 'cancelled' supplies would be delivered in advance, as they have done in the past. Today's delivery contained no extra milk; they've sent an email stating non-supplies will be refunded. If I did not have a good reserve supply of frozen milk I would have been without milk for Christmas, which would be horrible.

I'm all right Jack but pity those who really depend on their doorstep milk delivery.

« Reply #44 on: 26 December, 2019, 11:20:12 am »
Sadly, having been a supporter of the milkman and glass bottles for about 30 years we've stopped the service . . . for a number of reasons:

1  The delivery was about 0430 and the truck rattled over the cobbles/paving in our cul de sac making a noise that was annoying to the neighbours (we sleep at the back of the house)
2  When the truck threw itself into a 3 point turn the rattling increased and the full-beam headlights blasted 4 adjacent houses, again annoying people at the ungodly hour
3  The milk used to come from a depot about a mile away (presumably shipped there in a refrigerated truck) - it now comes on the open delivery truck from the environs of Birmingham probably 20 miles away - the result, with the slightest warmth in the weather, is that the milk is on the doorstep at 0430 until about 0800 and warms up - thus going off rather faster than it should.

It's a real pity - we've moved onto plastic (although it's great fun using the steam wand on our coffee machine to heat and flatten the plastic bottles for the recycling bin)

Rob

Neighbours, eh!. Many years ago some friends and I were on a train spotting trip in South Wales (Kidwelly). One of the older members was driving the Transit we were in but took a bend too fast and we ended up hitting a full milk float parked at the roadside and the Transit turned on its side. That really woke the neighbours!!

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #45 on: 26 December, 2019, 12:01:30 pm »
No use crying over...

« Reply #46 on: 27 December, 2019, 11:08:05 am »
We've never stopped (in suburban North Hertfordshire) using the local dairy to deliver in the traditional way. It's changed hands a number of times, but we still do the whole glass bottles and crate-with-a-dial (to indicate the required number that day) thing.

« Reply #47 on: 07 January, 2020, 12:03:09 pm »
I did float this with the Mrs (See what I did there) but she was not keen as previous experiences were that of huge unreliability.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #48 on: 07 January, 2020, 01:15:31 pm »
I have been underwhelmed by my deliveries over the Festive Season but will continue with Milk and More for now.
The lack of extra milk on 23 December would have left me short if I hadn't always frozen some Sainsbury's supply.
The milk delivered on 27 December went sour before the date embossed on the top.
The milk delivered on 3 January had a very short date.

Hopefully, things are getting back to normal now...

« Reply #49 on: 07 January, 2020, 02:06:31 pm »

Still de rigeur in (parts of) Canada, apparently.  Not the bits of Canada I've made tea in though.

Yep, confused me no end on my first visit to the in-laws in Ontario. Still does to be honest...picking up a bag of milk just doesn't sound right!
One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it)