Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1576828 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #11225 on: 21 June, 2019, 01:20:27 pm »
Not just spaceless, but 7-bit characters only, please.

Crikey, I did a credit transfer on line today and my bank's website refused diacriticals in the descriptive text.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Martin

« Reply #11226 on: 21 June, 2019, 01:29:43 pm »
just got back from Spain to find I've been charged €95 for not picking up the hire car I drove for 3 days. Is this some sort of scam? I was expecting to get a pre-printed rental agreement but it was all hand written. I do have proof I was there at the time as they took a charge on my credit card for fuel

should have kept stumm  :-\ they also refunded my original rental fee so I ended up only paying half!

but they corrected it refunded the €95 and re-charged the rental fee; amazingly since January given the exchange rates it ended up £6.66 cheaper!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #11227 on: 21 June, 2019, 04:49:39 pm »
Dare I suggest that file naming protocols or whatever they're called should be made to handle the names that people use, rather than people having to adopt artificial names in order to appease technology which is meant to serve them.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #11228 on: 21 June, 2019, 05:04:41 pm »
Nope. ;)

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #11229 on: 21 June, 2019, 06:27:57 pm »
Quote from: Mr Larrington
Spaces in filenames should be Strongly Deprecated. 

Quote from: Ian
It's 2019, filenames can have spaces and be as long as you want. Get with it, old people.

Mr. Larrington if you would care to hold Ian down I will apply the LART.  Unless of course you would care to adjust his attitude yourself? :)
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #11230 on: 21 June, 2019, 06:34:24 pm »
LED bulbs. 24,000 hours my arse. Doubt that's done even 4000. Bah.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #11231 on: 21 June, 2019, 07:10:13 pm »

See also my grumbling in the LED lighting thread. https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=51806.msg2133903#msg2133903

Some of mine didn't last 1000 hours!

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #11232 on: 21 June, 2019, 07:13:09 pm »
I've taken to writing the date I fitted the LED bulb, on the bulb.  Then, when they fail at say 1,000 hours, for a rated 25,000 hour  bulb, I go back to the supplier and slap them on the counter and make a noise.  Sometimes they give me new bulbs for free.

Scam.  Scam. Scam.  Time someone was done for it.

Yes, I know they are pulling my plonker with that 25,000 hours, but you'd think you'd get at least 15,000 hours.  Do you heck.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #11233 on: 21 June, 2019, 07:18:32 pm »
I list lamp replacements on my computer.

Looks like I've not replaced any since January 2018 but was replacing them frequently before that.

I bought several online and returning/replacing was a PITA.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #11234 on: 21 June, 2019, 07:53:55 pm »
I wrote the date on the replacement.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #11235 on: 21 June, 2019, 08:18:02 pm »
You're asking us to trust the lusers?  Last time that happened it ended with the Germans bombing Pearl and Teddy Johnson.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #11236 on: 21 June, 2019, 08:29:20 pm »
Bloody hell.  I thought I was the only person who knew of Pearl and Teddy Johnson.  Back to my primary school days.
You'll be telling me that you remember 'Come Outside' by Mike Sarn and Wendy wossname next.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

ian

« Reply #11237 on: 21 June, 2019, 09:06:46 pm »
I name all my files in the format This is the file that I use to keep track of all my holidays because Workday is poo.xlsb

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #11238 on: 21 June, 2019, 09:12:18 pm »
You have Workday too? Lucky.

ian

« Reply #11239 on: 21 June, 2019, 09:35:53 pm »
That's one definition of luck I'm unfamiliar with.

I raise you Netsuite.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #11240 on: 21 June, 2019, 09:39:14 pm »
.... 'Come Outside' by Mike Sarn and Wendy wossname Richards next.
They were playing that on the wireless until at least the early 1970s on Ed (Stewpot) Stewart's programme cos I remember it along with delights such as "My Brother" by Terry Scott, "Camp Granada" by someone whose name I can't remember and the one about the damn fishes by Frankie Howard.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #11241 on: 21 June, 2019, 09:46:31 pm »
... "Camp Granada" by someone whose name I can't remember ...

That'll be 'Hello Muddah, Hello Fadduh! (A Letter From Camp)' by Allan Sherman.

Apparently, there are Scandiwegian cover versions - the Swedish one is even more twisted...  ;D

Variations of the song include adaptations in Swedish ("Brev från kolonien" by Cornelis Vreeswijk), Finnish ("Terve mutsi, terve fatsi, tässä teidän ihmelapsi") and Norwegian ("Brev fra leier'n" by Birgit Strøm). The Finnish version is included in the Finnish Boy Scouts' songbook. The Swedish version notably does not revolve around the camper hating the camp, but is about the kids running roughshod over it and having run off all the counselors, one of whom has committed suicide after they let a snake into the mess hall, and the organizer of the camp being arrested by police after the kids start a forest fire. The song begins with the boy writing the letter asking his parents to send more money, because he has lost all his pocket money playing dice with the other campers. The song then ends with the boy having to wrap up the letter as he is about to join the others in burning down the neighboring camp lodge.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hello_Muddah,_Hello_Fadduh_(A_Letter_from_Camp)#Translations
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #11242 on: 21 June, 2019, 09:52:13 pm »

I raise you Netsuite.
Dunno wot that is.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #11243 on: 21 June, 2019, 09:54:57 pm »
I just took an old Word doc and resaved it as "ΗΞΚΜΖΏΦΣήΰχζ ". Apparently that's okay. Almost. Word cancelled out my final space! But "ΗΞΚΜΖΏ ΦΣήΰχζ" with a space in the middle was okay. Didn't previous versions of Word have Arabic and Chinese characters in the "insert symbol" function? They'd be arguably more useful than the Glagolitic the current version has.

ian

« Reply #11244 on: 21 June, 2019, 10:00:20 pm »

I raise you Netsuite.
Dunno wot that is.

"The #1 Cloud ERP" apparently. I truly feel for the people who have to use the #2 Cloud ERP.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #11245 on: 21 June, 2019, 10:13:53 pm »
I just took an old Word doc and resaved it as "ΗΞΚΜΖΏΦΣήΰχζ ". Apparently that's okay. Almost. Word cancelled out my final space! But "ΗΞΚΜΖΏ ΦΣήΰχζ" with a space in the middle was okay. Didn't previous versions of Word have Arabic and Chinese characters in the "insert symbol" function? They'd be arguably more useful than the Glagolitic the current version has.

Other opinions are available...
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #11246 on: 21 June, 2019, 10:23:04 pm »

Other opinions are available...
:)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #11247 on: 22 June, 2019, 08:58:44 am »
I'm just going to wave Salesfarce in you general direction, and wait for you to stand back and larf
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #11248 on: 22 June, 2019, 09:46:29 am »
I'm already standing back & larfing, because nary a one of those burocratech appominations has ever crossed my whatever, infected my purview or darkened my dongle.  I never even learnt to use Excel beyond filling in Audax homologation tables.  Symbols of boredom & drudgery, every miserable one of them.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D whoopee

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #11249 on: 22 June, 2019, 01:41:43 pm »
I'm just going to wave Salesfarce in you general direction, and wait for you to stand back and larf
ah, the tales I could recount about that particular company and their software. More laughable was the extent to which the directors of the sales channels swallowed the lies promises made by that company, especially in respect of integration and APIs.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.