Author Topic: What Computer?  (Read 16132 times)

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
What Computer?
« on: 01 May, 2008, 06:37:52 am »
As well a plague of visitations I lost my computer last night :( (it may have been under the scaffolding at Basinghall Street so if you go that way please keep your eyes peeled for a flattened Sigma computer:))

I've had Sigma's in the past and they have worked fine - the one before this one had a nice feature in that the display 'scrolled' between distance-time-av speed-etc. but apart from that my requirements are fairly simple: distance, time (total and journey) Av speed, max speed, journey time

Any recommendations or should I stick with Sigma (despite it's lack of scrolling, although that may have been the model I had)

And is there any benefit to wireless, apart from neatness?

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
Re: What Computer?
« Reply #1 on: 01 May, 2008, 06:53:47 am »

Cateye Micro are a good wireless.

VDO Cytec C1 or C2 are really good too, but go for the wired versions.

« Reply #2 on: 01 May, 2008, 02:43:24 pm »
I'll unrecommend the Topeak V12 Mini Cycle Computer.  It's started playing up today, after being rained on three trips in a row this week.  It's just switching into odd modes for no good reason.  I also find in rather annoying in that it doesn't auto-start.  I have to remember to turn it on every morning/evening, or it doesn't register my mileage at all (and I use it to keep a record of my total mileage, so I know how long things have been used before they wear out).

Personally I dislike wireless since they require another battery that'll go flat, and they can behave unhappily in the presence of a lot of modern bright LED lamps.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #3 on: 01 May, 2008, 02:52:25 pm »
I'd vote for VDO as well. I've got an HC 12.6 which after parting company with the bike was subsequently ran over by 3 cars and a bin lorry. Not a scratch on it. Seriously well built.

I'd go for a wired one as well. I really can't see the benefits in wireless if they have a tendancy to give funny readings when going past power lines or telephone masts. Surely reliability in reading speed/distance etc is number one priority.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #4 on: 01 May, 2008, 03:27:50 pm »
My cateye mity sometimes gives up in heavy rain, I wouldn't recommend it

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #5 on: 01 May, 2008, 03:30:28 pm »
These are what I have found, other's views might be different:
Sigma = basic and seem to be overpriced compared to others
Cateye = Vary from cheap and basic (Velo 5) to expensive, but decentish value (V2/V3)
Blackburn Delphi = Good, but overpriced at RRP, have been replaced now by Neuro, good range of info on screen, but cadence magnet holder is made of cheese.
Topeak Panoram = Good, lots of info to take in, reliable (even after 10 years)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #6 on: 01 May, 2008, 03:33:03 pm »
My cateye mity sometimes gives up in heavy rain, I wouldn't recommend it

My Cateye Velo 8 (the older style light grey one) also has a heavy rain detector.

From what I can tell it's a problem with water disrupting the connection between the computer and the bracket rather than water ingress to the computer itself.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #7 on: 01 May, 2008, 03:35:45 pm »
According to the Cateye website, a smear of silicone grease across the contacts helps prevent issues in heavy rain, so I guess it's a common fault across the cateye range.  Having said that the Velo 5 I have on my Pinarello has worked faultlessly this week (Farnborough's Monsoon season it would seem), unlike the RH Campag FB shifter which is currently all fogged up :(
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #8 on: 01 May, 2008, 04:02:52 pm »
Of the ones I've used:

Cateye Micro is OK - does the basic stuff (average speed, distance, time, max speed), comes on automatically once you start moving and has a light, but the mount is rubbish.  Mine rattles around so much that I've had to pad it out with blu-tack.

Topeak Panoram V12 Widescreen in wireless is excellent, IMO.  The fittings are really easy to use, and re-usable, rather than being just a couple of tie wraps.  The display is enormous, and it automatically returns to the first screen, where it constantly displays trip distance, clock and current speed.  I've had it for about a year and a half, I may have had to replace one of the batteries. and only once has it packed in working.  On that occasion,  it was raining so much, I had to take a five mile detour to work to avoid the floods  ;D

I've also used one of these, and it's brilliant to have the information on altitude & gradients, but it's a bit over-complicated and it did once completely give up the ghost while I was in the middle of nowhere, which isn't confidence-inspiring.

Oh, and I like wireless computers because they look neat and are much easier to fit.

« Reply #9 on: 01 May, 2008, 04:19:12 pm »
The Cateye Strada's seem to get reasonable reviews.  Does anyone have any comments on them?

For the wired one, £22.99 from Wiggle (with my discount) seems quite good value.

« Reply #10 on: 01 May, 2008, 05:10:34 pm »
The Cateye strada's incredibly simple to use, decent display and i haven't had
any technical/rain type issues through around 18months commute in all weathers...
..Just lift your head, take a deep breath and enjoy....

« Reply #11 on: 01 May, 2008, 06:09:19 pm »
The Cateye strada's incredibly simple to use, decent display and i haven't had
any technical/rain type issues through around 18months commute in all weathers...

That's what I hoped, and the reviews suggested, since I'm getting a mite annoyed with the Topeak one.  I think I'll order one from Wiggle and see what it's like.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #12 on: 01 May, 2008, 07:31:00 pm »
According to the Cateye website, a smear of silicone grease across the contacts helps prevent issues in heavy rain, so I guess it's a common fault across the cateye range. 

Thanks for that tip, I'll give it a go.

My Cateye Velo 8 (the older style light grey one) also has a heavy rain detector.

From what I can tell it's a problem with water disrupting the connection between the computer and the bracket rather than water ingress to the computer itself.

I guessed it was the connection because if you detach the computer, blow the excess water away off the bar mounting, dab dry with track mit and refit the computer it starts working again

I was going to see if I could seal the gap between the computer and mount with a rubber band, I'll give the grease a go first.

« Reply #13 on: 01 May, 2008, 07:34:24 pm »
Halfrauds wired. Work well, cheap enough that you dont care if they're nicked or broken.
Events I am running: 5th September 2021, the unseasonal Wellesden Reliability; HOPEFULLY Early April 2022, 3 Down London - New Forest 300K Audax;

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #14 on: 02 May, 2008, 09:53:46 pm »
Another vote for the VDO wired computers C3 or C3. I have one of each and they are simple, easy to use and reliable so far after over 6000 miles of commuting in all weathers.

« Reply #15 on: 05 May, 2008, 09:49:36 am »
I've got a Cateye Strada fettled onto the bike now, and I'll report on it once I've had a chance to see how well it behaves.  Waterproofness tests may require waiting for a suitable period of downpour however!

It does look a bit like the setting buttons on the back could be relatively easily hit and possibly cause it's configuration to change unintentionally, especially if it's rattling around in a pannier.  I may have to hunt around and see if I can find a small container to put it in when unused.

« Reply #16 on: 07 May, 2008, 03:17:23 pm »
...interestingly I noticed that my mileage with the Cateye is slightly lower than with the Topeak.  Looking at the relevant manuals, I noticed that for a 700Cx25 the Cateye quotes a size of 2105, whilst the Topeak reckons 2146.  A quick fumble with the calculator suggests that this pretty much explains the differences in distances involved.  Sheldon Brown also thinks that a 700Cx25 is 2105, and since I can't be bothered to measure it, I'll go with him.

Damn, this will knock over 150 miles off of my annual commuting mileage!

« Reply #17 on: 12 June, 2008, 12:45:10 pm »
I thought I'd resurrect this thread - any further thoughts on this?

I'd like a computer, preferably wireless but I am prepared to be persuaded, ideally with a backlight (which limits choice a lot) but again I can do without it, and an HRM.

I've tried the Sigma 1706 which proved unreliable.

I'm thinking of Ciclosport or Polar. I need something reliable, not prone to signal problems or to water ingress. I'd prefer to avoid Cateye as I don't like the brackets.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: 12 June, 2008, 12:58:37 pm »
The Cateye Strada's seem to get reasonable reviews.  Does anyone have any comments on them?

For the wired one, £22.99 from Wiggle (with my discount) seems quite good value.

+1  Got one for the new tandem.  Ver' good.

And ver' icckle.  Impressively so  :)
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #19 on: 12 June, 2008, 01:00:27 pm »
I've had a Strada but disliked it as I found it too easy to unintentionally reset it when I had it on the stem. I also kept breaking part of the bracket.

I must admit that Cateye seem to have it licked on the reliability front.

« Reply #20 on: 12 June, 2008, 01:34:25 pm »
I've had a Strada but disliked it as I found it too easy to unintentionally reset it when I had it on the stem. I also kept breaking part of the bracket.

I found this exact same problem. I've moved it onto my handlebars, and it's been ok since, I think.

Slim

« Reply #21 on: 12 June, 2008, 02:23:19 pm »

I've had one for a while and it's been pretty good so far. The one I have is a wired cadence model. FWIW - I chose this one 'cos the sensor is on the back wheel. The back wheel sensor helps when I'm on the turbo. I don't have a HRM so I use the computer to keep track of distance targets.

HTH

« Reply #22 on: 12 June, 2008, 02:25:30 pm »
I must admit that I like the Strada after using it for a month or so.  It's got a nice big display of the speed, and it's essentially fairly easy to use, since there's really only one button, and all it does is change between what's displayed on the secondary display, or resets the trip parameters when you hold it down for 2 seconds.

I don't have any issues with accidentally nudging it, but I've got it on a SpaceGrip with the GPS and spare front light.

« Reply #23 on: 12 June, 2008, 02:29:34 pm »
Another vote for the VDO wired computers C3 or C3. I have one of each and they are simple, easy to use and reliable so far after over 6000 miles of commuting in all weathers.

I like my VDO too, but it does have a 10 hour limitation on the length of a trip, and autostart cannot be switched off, which limit it somewhat for Audax. Fine if you're in the habit of resetting the computer on each stage but less useful if you like to take the computer into the control to keep an eye on your overall average speed plummeting as you recake.
The old Legion hand told the recruit, "When things are bad, bleu, try not to make them worse, because it is very likely that they are bad enough already." -- Robert Ruark

« Reply #24 on: 12 June, 2008, 02:32:27 pm »
...for a 700Cx25 the Cateye quotes a size of 2105, whilst the Topeak reckons 2146...

(622 + (2 x 25)) x 3.14159 = 2111
Profit or planet?