Author Topic: Brompton with Turbo Trainer  (Read 7381 times)

Brompton with Turbo Trainer
« on: 08 May, 2012, 07:17:49 pm »
Have any of you had any experience of using a turbo trainer with a Brompton? My mother has arthritis and finds it difficult to walk any distance, but does feel able to cycle and is keen to get some exercise. The Brompton would be easier to set up in the house, compared with a non folding type of bike, and with the more upright sitting position probably more suitable. I am loathed to get a dedicated exercise bike, without any indication about how much use it would get. However, I could find a use for a Turbo trainer myself so it wouldn't be wasted!

Thanks in advance for your comments!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Brompton with Turbo Trainer
« Reply #1 on: 08 May, 2012, 08:59:55 pm »
I've not done it with a Brompton, but have with recumbents, so have some idea of the issues involved:

Firstly, you're going to have to adapt the trainer for the small wheel size.  This usually means special brackets, which are unobtanium for 20" and I suspect non-existent for 16", so you'll have to do something hackish like this to move the resistance unit close enough to the tyre:

(That's just a couple of pieces of MDF I had lying around with appropriate drilling and bolts)

Then, because the rear wheel is now significantly above ground level, you're going to need something to prop the front up with so the bike is level, and possibly a step to allow the rider to mount safely.

Then you're probably going to want to do the suspension lock-out bodge (jubilee clip, is it?  I'm not a Brompton expert) to keep it from sproinging around more than absolutely necessary.

Oh, how trainer-friendly are the axles on a brompton going to be?  They're usually designed to clamp around an appropriately tapered internal-cam QR skewer, which may be an issue with solid axles...

I suspect an exercise bike would be much less faff if you could find one going cheap locally (freecycle?).

« Reply #2 on: 08 May, 2012, 09:53:20 pm »
Thanks for that Kim - looks like it will be more complicated than I first thought!

« Reply #3 on: 17 August, 2012, 09:19:56 am »
I was thinking exactly the same thing for my g/f who has arthritis but, as noted, Kim's fix is more complicated than I'd hoped (I was hoping there maybe a small wheel adaptor).

+paul - did you find a solution for your mother or end up getting an exercise bike?

I'm thinking exercise bike might be the easiest solution, but also considering getting a cheap fixed gear bike & a turbo trainer or other roller.

Thanks for any ideas/thoughts on this.

« Reply #4 on: 17 August, 2012, 09:31:12 am »
I saw a link t'other day for a turbo which comes with cassette & quick release already attached, so you take your back wheel off and bolt the bike straight to the trainer.  It apparently worked fine for road and mountainbikes, no idea if it went as small as a brommie.

edit to add - one of these: http://www.lemondfitness.com 

AndyK

« Reply #5 on: 17 August, 2012, 10:08:44 am »
Do Bromptons have hub gears? If they do they won't fit a turbo trainer.

<edit> I have already considered trying this with a Moulton, but the hub gearing makes it a non-starter. Instead I use an old Dawes rigid mtb with a trainer tyre.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #6 on: 17 August, 2012, 10:12:39 am »
They either have hub gears or non-QR wheels (with the 1 and 2 speed).  Personally, I'd say it's a non-starter and you'd be better finding a BSO in a skip (or the electronic skip that is eBay)  and just buying a slick tyre.  Only the drivetrain needs to be functional, although it helps if the rear wheel is vaguely true.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #7 on: 17 August, 2012, 03:48:50 pm »
I never did sort out a solution - other events overtook this one, and I never got back to it. I think Rogerzilla's approach is probably the best one, but I did like the fact the Brompton packs away, as do most of the turbo trainers I have seen.

Good luck!

« Reply #8 on: 17 August, 2012, 04:19:24 pm »
Thanks for info & ideas. BSO & roller maybe way to go, but may just pony up for exer-bike. Cheers.