Author Topic: Good weekend for Movistar  (Read 1394 times)

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
Good weekend for Movistar
« on: 31 May, 2014, 11:35:52 pm »
Nairo Quintana is about to win the Giro d'Italia

Meanwhile, Alex Dowsett has taken 25 seconds off Hutch's 10 mile comp record, squishing it down to 17:20.

I hope the team recognise both of these landmark achievements for what they're worth.  After all, there's a Giro every year but it's not since 2012 that the 10 record was last updated  ;D

Re: Good weekend for Movistar
« Reply #1 on: 01 June, 2014, 09:14:23 am »
An average of just under 35 mph! I need a hill just to get to 35 mph!
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

rr

« Reply #2 on: 01 June, 2014, 10:12:06 am »
Nearly as good as averaging over 30 kmh up tgnh.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
10mile Comp Record
« Reply #3 on: 02 June, 2014, 07:20:14 pm »
Did I read right that he rode 50miles home afterwards? if he did the same before the race, I will be very happy!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #4 on: 02 June, 2014, 07:25:19 pm »
Are 10 mile TT records UK specific or international?  Is 17:20 the world record for a road based 10 miles?

« Reply #5 on: 02 June, 2014, 07:25:35 pm »
Did I read right that he rode 50miles home afterwards? if he did the same before the race, I will be very happy!

According to his Strava, he didn't ride there, he just did the 48 miles home. At an average a shade under 20 mph. Just a gentle pootle home then  :P

« Reply #6 on: 02 June, 2014, 07:49:20 pm »
Are 10 mile TT records UK specific or international?  Is 17:20 the world record for a road based 10 miles?

I was wondering that. Maybe there are no official records from other countries?

Either way, Chris Boardman's prologue in Lille is listed as the fastest ever time trial over any distance in a grand tour at 55.152kmh. Dowsett's recent effort was 55.708. Obvioulsy someone may have gone faster in another race....

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #7 on: 02 June, 2014, 10:35:47 pm »
What Alex has just achieved is the CTT 10 mile competition record.  That means he's done the fastest 10 miles in an open time trial run under CTT rules: those include an out and back course to within a certain tolerance of height and distance, riders off at minute intervals, races running on courses on which the traffic has been determined not to exceed a certain level etc etc.  Someone has probably done a faster 10 miles on a bike on a straight out downhill.  You're allowed to do that in an RRA record attempt but their records start at 25 miles.  Incidentally, Chris Boardman used to hold an 'unofficial' comp record because he went faster than the then current comp record in a club 10, so it didn't count as it wasn't an open event. 

No, it doesn't include other countries.  However, TTing is a very British pursuit and I haven't heard of anyone going faster under any remotely similar rules, so it's a pretty safe bet that nobody has done so.