Author Topic: Which VR cycling app do you use?  (Read 14548 times)

Re: Which VR cycling app do you use?
« Reply #75 on: 22 November, 2020, 04:45:12 pm »

... and the girl you're drafting drops a burrito.....

Ok, I give up, what is that??  :o
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #76 on: 22 November, 2020, 04:51:10 pm »
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #77 on: 22 November, 2020, 07:21:48 pm »
I've only ever seen the burrito in races. It's quite effective in the crit racing.

« Reply #78 on: 22 November, 2020, 08:39:47 pm »

Chris S

« Reply #79 on: 22 November, 2020, 10:36:44 pm »

citoyen

« Reply #80 on: 23 November, 2020, 05:57:39 pm »
Ta, I could waste quite a bit of time on that site!

You wouldn't be alone...  ::-)

I've been having some fun exploring the downloadable map of Watopia and deciding where I want to ride next...  ;D

https://zwiftinsider.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/Watopia-2.12.pdf

I'm only level 5 though, so it'll be a while before I get to have a go at the Alpe du Zwift.  :(

« Reply #81 on: 23 November, 2020, 06:13:21 pm »
Try the radio tower climb instead. Not as high, but a fair way up.

citoyen

« Reply #82 on: 23 November, 2020, 07:02:18 pm »
Try the radio tower climb instead. Not as high, but a fair way up.

Did that on Saturday. Got to the top of the "Epic KOM" segment and thought I was done with the climbing. Then I got directed off onto a side road...  :sick:

« Reply #83 on: 23 November, 2020, 10:23:33 pm »
If you don't want to wait, just do a group ride up there.
I think even if you're not a high enough level you can arrange a meet up on any course, including Road to Sky.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #84 on: 29 November, 2020, 10:38:40 am »
FTP test is a good idea I think just to gauge which group you should be in. I'm half way through the Zwift 28 day FTP builder. Will be interesting to see how much impact it has.

Finished it today and increased my FTP by 15%. Admittedly from a low fitness base but an increase nonetheless.

Downside is that workouts will get proportionately harder.

« Reply #85 on: 29 November, 2020, 12:20:20 pm »
I've been doing a bit of time trialling for my club and, although I've never tried a formal FTP test, Zwift keeps upping my FTP anyway, so it seems to measure it whether you do a test or not. Makes sense I suppose. It's a bit obscure but, if you're in a ride, you can use the Menu button and edit your public profile, near your name, and that lets you see your current FTP. I may have mentioned that the Menu button is one of the many quirks of the system; it gives you access to various things that you'd mostly want before or after a ride, but you can only access it during one ::-)

We've had an inter-club time trial series with various local others for many years. It's gone onto Zwift (and ZwiftPower) of course this year. The scoring is obscure, and only really understood by the person who works the results out, but the principle is to make as many riders' times as possible count for their clubs, so that even we slower ones can make a contribution, and to favour the clubs who get the best turnout.

citoyen

« Reply #86 on: 29 November, 2020, 12:52:33 pm »
I've been doing a bit of time trialling for my club and, although I've never tried a formal FTP test, Zwift keeps upping my FTP anyway, so it seems to measure it whether you do a test or not. Makes sense I suppose.

I got a notification that my FTP was increased after my last session, which is understandable as it was a much harder effort than any of my previous Zwift sessions.

I would guess the benefit of doing a formal FTP test is that it's structured to more accurately gauge your maximum level, rather than just extrapolating from your normal riding.

PaulF

« Reply #87 on: 29 November, 2020, 01:56:28 pm »
I've been doing a bit of time trialling for my club and, although I've never tried a formal FTP test, Zwift keeps upping my FTP anyway, so it seems to measure it whether you do a test or not. Makes sense I suppose.

I got a notification that my FTP was increased after my last session, which is understandable as it was a much harder effort than any of my previous Zwift sessions.

I would guess the benefit of doing a formal FTP test is that it's structured to more accurately gauge your maximum level, rather than just extrapolating from your normal riding.

Well there has to be some benefit as I can hardly walk now! The test I did was an easy 40 minute-ish warmup with some sprints followed by 20 minutes flat out. The FTP is calculated as 95% of the average power of the 20 minute session. I was aiming to average 220W and actually managed 224 and it was fairly even until my sprint for the line.

« Reply #88 on: 29 November, 2020, 02:40:05 pm »
Almost certainly. But descriptions of the experience make it sound like something to avoid. So I have ;D

I'm not really interested in the training side of Zwift. Haven't tried it. My approach to training for time trials has always been that it's a mild form of cheating. That's worked for me for four decades, so it's a bit late to change now.

PaulF

« Reply #89 on: 29 November, 2020, 03:35:35 pm »
A very wise approach :)

« Reply #90 on: 24 December, 2020, 10:36:05 am »
Taking some time over the Christmas break to try out a few of the free trail periods of as few of these offerings.  I (and I guess everyone else who was trying to use it) had an issue with BigRingVR, where it failed to authenticate properly using my Google account.  The issue was identified, and  the solution was to issue a new build which everyone had to download.

I tried a few times, but still had the problem. So I emailed their support (it was around 5:30pm UK time).  I had a response within 5 minutes, asking me to confirm the version I had installed was 6.16.0 - it wasn't, it was 6.14.0. I uninstalled, and re-downloaded and installed - same issue.  Emailed back. Inside 5 minutes a response - some browsers were caching the original download - switch browser / go incognito. I did, and it worked. Really good support from them.

« Reply #91 on: 27 December, 2020, 03:25:48 pm »
So, I am not liking Rouvy and I haven't even got an account yet.  Trying to join using my tablet but the app will not get past username.  It is not complaining about the username but simply will not let me select email or password for input.  If I cannot get past basic joining because of sshite software I have absolutely zero confidence in the product.

Disappointing start to smart training.

« Reply #92 on: 27 December, 2020, 04:28:20 pm »
So, I am not liking Rouvy and I haven't even got an account yet.  Trying to join using my tablet but the app will not get past username.  It is not complaining about the username but simply will not let me select email or password for input.  If I cannot get past basic joining because of sshite software I have absolutely zero confidence in the product.

Disappointing start to smart training.

Which app are you trying to join? There are two at the moment, Rouvy and Rouvy AR. I understand that it’s all being migrated to the AR version over time, so that might be the one to try.
I’ve never had an issue with Rouvy on an iPad. It is data hungry, as it uses real life video, and can have issues if someone else is streaming, e.g. music or Netflix on the same account.

« Reply #93 on: 27 December, 2020, 05:03:40 pm »
It was the AR version that I was trying to use.  Having reverted to the Fitness version all seems to work.  Bizarre!

« Reply #94 on: 27 December, 2020, 07:07:50 pm »
Ah! It’s the AR version I installed on my laptop, albeit I was trying non-AR videos. I never noticed the “workout” version  ::-). I’ll give that a go tomorrow and see if I can get any videos to run. I tried a ride on BigRingVR today, and enjoyed (fcvo enjoyed) the experience. Video was filmed from a car, so nice and stable.  Very clear and comprehensive layout of data and ride profile, but atm it only supports ANT+ sensors, although all of mine are ANT+ / Bluetooth dual standard. It’s cheap too, at £75 for a years subscription. But goodness am I unfit, it’ll be while before I try and repeat my ride from Malucene up Ventoux! 

Next up (as snow is forecast for here tomorrow) will be a ride on FulGaz, where the videos are filmed from a cycle. It also has some structured training videos, so between that and BRVR I may not bother with Rouvy for the time being.

« Reply #95 on: 27 December, 2020, 08:30:31 pm »
Ah! It’s the AR version I installed on my laptop, albeit I was trying non-AR videos. I never noticed the “workout” version  ::-). I’ll give that a go tomorrow and see if I can get any videos to run. I tried a ride on BigRingVR today, and enjoyed (fcvo enjoyed) the experience. Video was filmed from a car, so nice and stable.  Very clear and comprehensive layout of data and ride profile, but atm it only supports ANT+ sensors, although all of mine are ANT+ / Bluetooth dual standard. It’s cheap too, at £75 for a years subscription. But goodness am I unfit, it’ll be while before I try and repeat my ride from Malucene up Ventoux! 

Indeed.  Rouvy Workouts, not Rouvy Fitness.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #96 on: 27 December, 2020, 09:23:38 pm »
It's Zwift I use, although I've only started using again after a long layoff due to neurological issues.

I'll probably just be doing leisurely virtual spins on Zwift rather than racing!

« Reply #97 on: 27 December, 2020, 09:45:30 pm »
We've been exploring the Rouvy Workouts app this evening.  mllePB fancies a bit of a tour in Denmark.  I have my sights set on exploring New Zealand when I start using it.

« Reply #98 on: 28 December, 2020, 12:39:42 pm »
I got an email back advising me to install a previous version 1.2.2 as opposed to the current one that is 3 or 4 generations later. I haven’t used their download link, but I did uninstall the AR version then install the workout version. It works now.  No explanation why it dint run the AR version, my laptop exceeds the required spec /which is quite high - i5, 8gb ram, 2gb graphics card). The only thing I can see different is that although I have 4gb graphics memory, it’s an R5 generation Radeon, and they spec R9 generation.

Aaaanyway, I’ll give it a spin this afternoon, but I actually really liked the BigRingVR interface. I’ll also try FulGaz.

« Reply #99 on: 28 December, 2020, 02:56:09 pm »
mllePB has turned a virtual wheel in Denmark and seems to be very pleased to have done so. 

Mission accomplished!   :thumbsup: