Author Topic: Waste of resources?  (Read 17637 times)

Re: Waste of resources?
« Reply #125 on: 20 December, 2009, 11:39:01 pm »
Racist.
Why wont Africans be able to afford a better bowl?

I havent put a picture up of a bowl ive made. I pic a picture up of some random one i found on the internet Ben.

The bowls i made(out of wood) have a point. They will be used as a shaving bowl, and a soap bowl. When they have reached the end of their careers, they will become fire to make some lovely heat.

But, if you make a bowl/tea pot for it to be looked at but not used, then it is pointless. Like having a pet cow that you dont kill to eat. Or a crappy bike you cant use because it keeps breaking.

Chickens are another thing that are....

Useful. Even if you dont eat them. They produce eggs, so are useful aslong as they are producing eggs. So, if they stop laying eggs and you are then keeping them as pets, they are useless, but if they stop laying and you then kill them and eat them, carry on their useful little lives. :thumbsup:

Don't question. It makes people angry.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #126 on: 20 December, 2009, 11:39:27 pm »
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #127 on: 20 December, 2009, 11:46:28 pm »

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #128 on: 20 December, 2009, 11:51:51 pm »

Quote from: Oscar Wilde
All art is quite useless

But not necessarily pointless  ;D

"All art is quite pointillist"... no, I don't agree with that.

I'm thinking that Mr. 1gear is a fascinating 21st century hybrid of archie the cockroach and Mr. Gradgrind.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Euan Uzami

« Reply #129 on: 21 December, 2009, 12:00:38 am »
Racist.
Why wont Africans be able to afford a better bowl?
Largely because they're poor?

I havent put a picture up of a bowl ive made. I pic a picture up of some random one i found on the internet Ben.

The bowls i made(out of wood) have a point. They will be used as a shaving bowl, and a soap bowl. When they have reached the end of their careers, they will become fire to make some lovely heat.

But, if you make a bowl/tea pot for it to be looked at but not used, then it is pointless. Like having a pet cow that you dont kill to eat. Or a crappy bike you cant use because it keeps breaking.

ah ok, so it's only pointless because it was never intended to be used - why didn't you say that!  ::-) ;) ;)

But most jobbing artists don't produce bowls/sculptures/whatever because THEY think it looks good as an ornament - they produce them because OTHER people will buy them, the point of it is that they will be able to sell it for money, and buy bling bike parts with and grain for their kids.
And even the other people that buy them don't buy them because they think they look good, they buy them so other people will think they're rich.

Ever heard the phrase "neither use nor ornament" ...?

Do you know what it means?

So are you basically saying that an ornament is neither use nor ornament?

Euan Uzami

« Reply #130 on: 21 December, 2009, 09:03:05 am »
It was going so awfully well until we got to this:

Face it. Ive challenged you. End of.

(My italics)

1gear - do you ever post on Have Your Say?

You're not one of the "Werthers Original Imperialists" from spEak You're bRanes by any chance are you?

:D that's a great website!
I love this bit:

"Are they serious? Seriously? When the rest of the world is trying so hard to recognise Africa as civilized, why do they have to shoot themselves in the foot like this?"

You fucking idiot Africa.

;D ;D quality!

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #131 on: 21 December, 2009, 08:39:30 pm »

So, if something looks good, but doesnt function, then its pointless.

<snip>

Sculpture. Pointless, doesnt do anything useful besides sit somewhere and have people look at it. No point in that.

Bollox, frankly.  Its purpose is to give pleasure.  Judge it accordingly.

« Reply #132 on: 21 December, 2009, 08:40:35 pm »

<snip>

Sculpture. Pointless, doesnt do anything useful besides sit somewhere and have people look at it. No point in that.

Bollox, frankly.  Its purpose is to give pleasure.  Judge it accordingly.

Bollocks. What enjoyment do you get at staring at a weird shaped tea pot?
Or is this some fettish?

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #133 on: 21 December, 2009, 08:44:17 pm »
Is a weird-shaped teapot "sculpture"?

« Reply #134 on: 21 December, 2009, 08:45:54 pm »

Bollocks. What enjoyment do you get at staring at a weird shaped tea pot?
Or is this some fetish?

If one of my sons were to make a weird shaped tea pot I would take a great deal of pleasure from it.

It doesn't all work one way, life is fortunately more complex than that.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

« Reply #135 on: 21 December, 2009, 08:52:32 pm »

No, i talked about weird shaped tea pots and sculptures. They are both pointless though,s o you can group them together, with SOME cows.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #136 on: 21 December, 2009, 08:54:13 pm »
What resources have been wasted? What else would you have done with them?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #137 on: 21 December, 2009, 08:55:37 pm »

If one of my sons were to make a weird shaped tea pot I would take a great deal of pleasure from it.

It doesn't all work one way, life is fortunately more complex than that.

;D ;D ;D   :thumbsup:
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

« Reply #138 on: 21 December, 2009, 09:48:15 pm »
What resources have been wasted? What else would you have done with them?

I would have used them to make more useful things with them. For example a bowl for cooking or something.
Or just left it in the ground. Clay may soon end up like oil. Over exploited. Just so that weirdo pot/sculpture fetish people can make weird shapes.
Or send it to some poor country so they can make useful pots, instead of the people here making some weird pot with it?

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #139 on: 21 December, 2009, 10:38:37 pm »
Spine Milligna, the well known spelling mistake, maybe of help here:

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder
Get it out with Optrex"
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #140 on: 22 December, 2009, 02:40:17 pm »

No, i talked about weird shaped tea pots and sculptures. They are both pointless though,s o you can group them together, with SOME cows.

???

No.  This is what you said:

<snip>

Sculpture - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Visual arts - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Art - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That's your opinion against tens of thousands of years of cultural history.  My money's on the second of those.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #141 on: 22 December, 2009, 03:50:44 pm »
Damnit - There I was hoping this thread had died, and you go and get the stick out and prod him with it again.
 ;D

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #142 on: 22 December, 2009, 04:04:04 pm »
You can have objects which are both functional and beautiful.  The whole 19th century Arts & Crafts movement being a good example to think about:

Arts and Crafts Movement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

To make an object that is both functional and attractive you do need to learn the technical skills though.  That means producing lots of mis-shapen clay idols masquerading as teapots that only a mother would love before you get teh pottery skillz.

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #143 on: 23 December, 2009, 09:25:29 pm »
I always thought the purpose of making pots that bad was to provide something to occupy the dullards in the name of education.

Clearly I wasn't wrong.  ;)

« Reply #144 on: 24 December, 2009, 10:07:32 am »
To 1Gear.

Do you listen to music?

Do you wear clothes that look 'smart', 'trendy', 'cool'?

Do you go to the movies?

All of those things are 'art', 'design' and 'craft'. Appreciating and enjoying them is part of what makes us human.
You seem to think these things are pointless. I suggest then, for 3 months you try never watching a movie, reading a book or looking at a photograph or painting. You are not allowed to wear anything other than mechanic's overalls and an old sweater if it's cold. No jewellery allowed. You are not allowed to eat out or have anything other than boiled potatoes with beans, and can only drink tap water in case your senses are stimulated by food. No sex either, btw, because that can be about appreciating  the aesthetics of someone.

No riding a bike. In the evenings, sit and contemplate nothing. No building snowmen or sledding. No playing either.

In 3 months time, come back and talk to us about it.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #145 on: 24 December, 2009, 06:55:30 pm »
To 1Gear.

Do you listen to music?
No i walk around in either my cycling gear or naked

A suit. My birthday one
Do you go to the movies?
No, hate the things. Cant concentrate for long enough.

All of those things are 'art', 'design' and 'craft'. Appreciating and enjoying them is part of what makes us human.
You seem to think these things are pointless. I suggest then, for 3 months you try never watching a movie, reading a book or looking at a photograph or painting. You are not allowed to wear anything other than mechanic's overalls and an old sweater if it's cold. No jewellery allowed. You are not allowed to eat out or have anything other than boiled potatoes with beans, and can only drink tap water in case your senses are stimulated by food. No sex either, btw, because that can be about appreciating  the aesthetics of someone.

No riding a bike. In the evenings, sit and contemplate nothing. No building snowmen or sledding. No playing either.

Your wrong on the other stuff. How is drinking some juice pointless? Its just not. Your hydrating yourself and having a taste aswell, adding sugar in. Better if you have isotonic drink.
I dont read books, i cant read.

Zoidburg

« Reply #146 on: 24 December, 2009, 06:57:09 pm »
To 1Gear.

Do you listen to music?

A suit. My birthday one
Do you go to the movies?

Your wrong on the other stuff. How is drinking some juice pointless? Its just not. Your hydrating yourself and having a taste aswell, adding sugar in. Better if you have isotonic drink.
You are the swiss vet AICMFP.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #147 on: 24 December, 2009, 07:01:38 pm »
Thank you Zoidburg - that's the most comprehensible post I've seen on this thread.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #148 on: 24 December, 2009, 07:02:52 pm »
To 1Gear.

Do you listen to music?

A suit. My birthday one
Do you go to the movies?

Wrong. I hate MOST of the Swiss. They were mainly arrogent, rude people, who, when asked for help, would just blank you and keep walking. Over charge for things, drive like idiots, dont speak much English.......... I could go on.

Zoidburg

« Reply #149 on: 24 December, 2009, 07:05:54 pm »
To 1Gear.

Do you listen to music?

A suit. My birthday one
Do you go to the movies?

Wrong. I hate MOST of the Swiss. They were mainly arrogent, rude people, who, when asked for help, would just blank you and keep walking. Over charge for things, drive like idiots, dont speak much English.......... I could go on.
Yep it's the vet allright.

Not many non reading sixth formers having travelled extensively in Switzerland.