Author Topic: Perfume advice wanted  (Read 7383 times)

Re: Perfume advice wanted
« Reply #25 on: 22 December, 2008, 10:51:15 pm »
The wearing of perfume baffles me.

If "baffle" is defined as "pisses me off" it also baffles me.

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #26 on: 22 December, 2008, 10:56:26 pm »
All perfume is bad. Yuck yuck yuck. Why do people think it's fine to impose their taste in stinks on others? Hope that helps. :)

Oh, and +1  :thumbsup:

When a woman has a subtle aroma that accentuates her personality, it is very seductive. 

Years later, the hint of a smell can revive memories - ahhhhhhh.

Thanks Justine(e), I began typing the same message but couldn't get the exact tone right.

Jakob

« Reply #27 on: 22 December, 2008, 11:11:00 pm »
All perfume is bad. Yuck yuck yuck. Why do people think it's fine to impose their taste in stinks on others? Hope that helps. :)

When a woman has a subtle aroma that accentuates her personality, it is very seductive. 

Thanks Justine(e), I began typing the same message but couldn't get the exact tone right.

Concur!

Chanel is usually always a safe bet. Coco is good, No5 for more 'classical' evenings.
Allure for women is more modern and is my favourite. (girlfriend doesn't like it, though)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #28 on: 22 December, 2008, 11:19:21 pm »
If I can smell someone before I can see them and get my eyes running when I'm near them, does not get me in the "mood" rather run and gasp for air.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #29 on: 22 December, 2008, 11:32:07 pm »
Woolly,    I agree entirely.  I'm no great fan of perfume or aftershave myself.   But it's a girly present she will like (I hope)

For myself I use Dr Bronners Peppermint Soap, this smells nice when I shower but leaves no fragrance.  What you sniff is the real me...... could be why I'm still single...  ;D  nothing to do with being a self centred curmudgeon...
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #30 on: 22 December, 2008, 11:36:31 pm »

Agreed.

If I can smell someone before I can see them and get my eyes running when I'm near them, does not get me in the "mood" rather run and gasp for air

As in all things, there is good and bad perfume.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #31 on: 23 December, 2008, 12:46:53 am »

:thumbsup:
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #32 on: 23 December, 2008, 08:23:05 am »
<---  Unrepentant* Chanel girl   :P

*to be fair, not every day at work - just inna goey-outy stylee
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Chris N

« Reply #33 on: 23 December, 2008, 08:54:42 am »
Issey Miyake.

;D

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #34 on: 23 December, 2008, 08:59:21 am »
I don't have a good sense of smell.  So perfume's never done much for me (except irritate my nose & eyes on occasion).  A little bit makes a difference, but the fragrance that matters is warm clean skin. 

Our Kid uses about a gallon of spray every day.  In fact, I fear he has now commissioned agricultural spray planes to make low passes over his bedroom each morning. :-\
Getting there...

« Reply #35 on: 23 December, 2008, 10:33:21 am »
Well, the farmer has been muck spreading around the house, and there's heavy fog trapping the air. The M-I-L has reached for the Anais Anais, and I'm sloshing on the Kenzo to make the rural air more bearable. ;D

(normally I'm a No. 5 girl)
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #36 on: 23 December, 2008, 10:43:32 am »
The Slanket has...er...wizard's sleeves.

pops off the the Profanisaurus.
It is simpler than it looks.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #37 on: 23 December, 2008, 10:43:57 am »

Indeed. But NWS.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #38 on: 23 December, 2008, 12:54:08 pm »

You are Marcel Proust AICMFP.

Last Christmas, my wife was given a set of five Jo Malone perfumes by her well-to-do best friend. Each is nice by itself but they're designed to be blended in different combinations to make a whole new range of aromas. Very nice. Certain combinations have quite an effect on me.  :P

I've not seen the Slanket before. Too late for Christmas but the wife will definitely be getting one for her birthday in Feb - I just know she'll love it.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #39 on: 23 December, 2008, 01:03:39 pm »
Smell is such a powerful memory tool, and I have found that I am unusually receptive to smells - especially on people.

I have pinned down "my" aftershave - BOSS by Hugo Boss if anyone is interested. A person who does not match their aftershave to their smell, will smell bad. Their body smell will clash with their perfume, and the result isn't nice. Someone who matches their body smell and their perfume has the ability to be remembered every time the other person smells the same scent.

I wear aftershave most of the time, but always on business, where I do an especially sneaky trick.

Alongside my normal squirt on the neck in the morning, I do my palms too. Then when going into the meeting, I don't reek of it, but body heat makes sure that when I shake hands, my aftershave rubs off on their hand. Then if the meeting goes well, every time they put their hand to their face for the rest of the day they will be reminded of me in a positive way. The cleverest bit is that they are very unlikely to realise that the memory is being sparked by their hand as the smell will be so subtle.

If they didn't like me, they will still be reminded of me, but wouldn't have done business anyway :thumbsup:
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

« Reply #40 on: 23 December, 2008, 01:18:57 pm »
So you're saying you deliberately mark them with your scent? Oh, lord... Remind me not to shake hands when we meet ;)

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #41 on: 23 December, 2008, 01:21:37 pm »
So you're saying you deliberately mark them with your scent? Oh, lord... Remind me not to shake hands when we meet ;)

Hehe, indeedy ;D
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #42 on: 23 December, 2008, 01:22:56 pm »
He's like a rampant Tom-Cat!  ;D

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #43 on: 23 December, 2008, 06:37:51 pm »
Issy Miyake is amazing and does things to me I shall not mention. WD40 is equally as good, as is pretty much anything by Jean Paul Gaultier

Me, I have two that accompany moi, Disel Zero Plus and Joop!
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #44 on: 23 December, 2008, 06:47:02 pm »

Yes, and there's always that feint whiff you can savour on your upper lip.

:P

Oh come on, who hasn't found themselves pulling this face the morning after the night before...

Hmmmmmmmm?

H

« Reply #45 on: 24 December, 2008, 10:04:07 am »

Yes, and there's always that feint whiff you can savour on your upper lip.

:P

Oh come on, who hasn't found themselves pulling this face the morning after the night before...

Hmmmmmmmm?

H

Same effect when you scratch your nose  ;)

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #46 on: 24 December, 2008, 10:20:05 am »

Or indeed this one:

Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

annie

« Reply #47 on: 24 December, 2008, 10:26:40 am »
Clarins Eau Dynamisant (red bottle rather than blue) is a fantastic daytime perfume. Light, citrusy, energising and not cloying at all. I rarely wear perfume but when I do, it is this for daytime and Chanel No5 for evening. Anything else makes me feel a bit sicky.

I would LOVE a slanket. I think I would never leave the sofa again.

She doesn't go out that much of an evening, so that sounds (smells?) nice.  Something for work, to mask the hospital smell.  :)

I use that but as a moisturiser rather than a perfume.

I also wear Molton Brown's Davana Blossom body cream or moisturiser, simply delightful and Issey Miyake's body cream.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #48 on: 02 January, 2009, 07:37:20 pm »
What did you get in the end? I was wondering as I adorned myself in a delicious rose and jasmine blend yesterday.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #49 on: 02 January, 2009, 07:38:47 pm »

Looks like someone trying to squeeze a U-Boat through a manhole.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.