Author Topic: Olympic security weirdness  (Read 1210 times)

Olympic security weirdness
« on: 08 May, 2012, 01:31:52 pm »
So apart from my dog walking being interrupted at the weekend by a pair of Typhoons doing a completely unnecessary and very noisy, impromptu air display over Mitcham, has anyone seen anything that might be connected to the Olympics security programme?

I ask because on a dog walk yesterday I cam upon what looked like a set up where some people dressed in disposable NBC suits, complete with gas masks were treating a couple sat under the bridge at Tooting Bec.
They chased the dog off, who was very curious about it all and so I didn't really have any opportunity to ask what was going on.

Was this a bit of street theatre, or were things like this going on in a small scale all over London?

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
Re: Olympic security weirdness
« Reply #1 on: 08 May, 2012, 01:55:16 pm »
At the news of this sort of thing I’m torn between not caring or saying “Cool! Typhoons”.

I saw one on Sunday over Kingston and heard them a few times on Saturday.  Reminded me of the last day of TRAT where we saw a flight of them doing a practice bombing/strafing* run on the bridge over the Dornoch Firth.

Where I grew up in Herefordshire high speed low passes by military aircraft of all types were pretty commonplace.  The A10 pilots were the biggest show-offs.

*I have no idea which or if at all, I’m no aviation expert  – they came in from the sea, descending low on the approach to the bridge then climbed away.  Was pretty impressive to watch.

AndyK

« Reply #2 on: 08 May, 2012, 02:53:46 pm »
I came upon what looked like a set up where some people dressed in disposable NBC suits, complete with gas masks were treating a couple sat under the bridge at Tooting Bec.

Possibly the beginnings of the Zompocalypse.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3 on: 08 May, 2012, 02:57:16 pm »
I would expect that several agencies, including emergency services, local authorities and NHS are conducting major incident exercises.  Many of them will be table top, but some will be live simulations.
Getting there...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #4 on: 05 July, 2012, 07:48:47 pm »
It seems that if you go to the Olympics you ill be searched by a squaddie.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/jul/05/london-2012-army-security-corporate?commentpage=last#end-of-comments

Marina Hyde is normally very, very funny but it seems that in this article she's just totally nonplussed by the sheer unfathomable stupidity of whoever it is that makes decisions like this.

If it take the army to search people going to watch sport for enjoyment, then the terrorists really and truly have won.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

rr

« Reply #5 on: 05 July, 2012, 10:43:07 pm »

Where I grew up in Herefordshire high speed low passes by military aircraft of all types were pretty commonplace.  The A10 pilots were the biggest show-offs.

Nah the A10s were a bunch of amateurs, they used to fly over me while I looked down on a Hercules as I walked the dogs.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: 05 July, 2012, 10:49:35 pm »
We've got squaddies on the roof at my office.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #7 on: 06 July, 2012, 12:31:14 am »
We've got squaddies on the roof at my office.

When are you going to release them ?

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: 06 July, 2012, 09:05:19 am »
When they promise to let me have a go on their missiles.  I've got a little list, you see  :D
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #9 on: 06 July, 2012, 11:16:16 am »

Nah the A10s were a bunch of amateurs, they used to fly over me while I looked down on a Hercules as I walked the dogs.

A Phantom overtook me as I rode down Nant Ffrancon (towards Bethesda) on the A5. It was below the road.

When i lived in Gwent I often saw RAF Harriers below me in the mountains.