Author Topic: Our dog eats walnuts!  (Read 816 times)

Andrew

Our dog eats walnuts!
« on: 09 February, 2016, 09:11:21 am »
Our dogs sleep in the laundry room. I went in there this morning to feed them and there were walnut shells strewn across the floor. I'm not talking one or two either,  I'm talking tens. I was stunned.

Our border collie had managed to shell and eat, I'd estimate, around 30 walnuts.  No, I can't quite believe it either. There must be some squirrel in him!

He regularly moves his bed around at night, so it's common enough for him to be the other side of the room come morning. He's even shut himself in the annexed toilet before now (that caused a moment of bafflement - we thought we'd got an escapologist dog!) but the walnut munching is a first. I'm rather impressed and, tbh, feeling a kind of silly pride.

( to answer potential queries, I'd only moved the walnuts into the laundry yesterday. Our other dog, an aging malinois, is loosing her marbles and such a feat would be beyond her - she probably slept through it all)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: Our dog eats walnuts!
« Reply #1 on: 09 February, 2016, 09:18:26 am »
As I recall, they're toxic for dogs. Watch out for tremors.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Andrew

« Reply #2 on: 09 February, 2016, 09:26:53 am »
Yes, I'm aware, I'd googled it already! Seems more of a danger with black/mouldy walnuts  but we're keeping an eye on him.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #3 on: 09 February, 2016, 09:40:52 am »
As a tuning mnemonic your thread title needs a little work.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4 on: 09 February, 2016, 09:49:38 am »
Yes, I'm aware, I'd googled it already! Seems more of a danger with black/mouldy walnuts  but we're keeping an eye on him.

Possibly not either, visibly.  As often as not we get walnuts that look fine but have a slightly unpleasant taste and give me minor gut problems.  The missus eats them with no problems. I wonder if this is not the fungus in question.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight