Author Topic: Canal path - Grand Union? Slough to Uxbridge/ Ruislip  (Read 1678 times)

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
Canal path - Grand Union? Slough to Uxbridge/ Ruislip
« on: 30 March, 2017, 10:52:10 am »
I need to drop my car off at a garage in Slough (long story) and then get back home. Langley train station is no good for me, but the garage is quite close to the canal path so I am assuming I can ride it back into Uxbridge/ Ruislip.  On google maps the canal splits into NE (coming from Slough) and sort of SE. I will need to take the NE branch.

However not having ridden past Ruislip on the Grand Union, does anyone know if the path is paved, or really rubbish? I was planning on putting the mtb in the car, as its smaller than tourer and just in case the roads are really rubbish.

thanks

Re: Canal path - Grand Union? Slough to Uxbridge/ Ruislip
« Reply #1 on: 30 March, 2017, 11:09:38 am »
Haven't done it for a year or so, but it is pretty OK

velosam

« Reply #2 on: 30 March, 2017, 02:49:06 pm »
Thanks may take a faster bike then

« Reply #3 on: 30 March, 2017, 06:16:37 pm »
Quite a good surface on the main GU canal, OK on the Slough branch. Would come off at Uxbridge, go through the town and up Belmont Road, signed cycle route left into Fairfield Road, right into Norfolk Road, along the south side of Uxbridge Common, cross Park Road at the Toucan Xing, left onto the separate cycle path, turn right next to the traffic lights onto the path that takes you over the A40, through Swakeleys Park to Ickenham and thence Ruislip.

velosam

« Reply #4 on: 30 March, 2017, 08:25:42 pm »
Thanks Orienteer.  Will take the faster bike rather than the mtb.

« Reply #5 on: 31 March, 2017, 07:26:53 am »
slough arm surface ok in the dry ,muddy if wet all cycle barriers now removed  :)

the slower you go the more you see

velosam

« Reply #6 on: 01 April, 2017, 07:45:02 pm »
Just an update, tried it but it was a slog on the mtb so am taking the road bike down the A412 to Slough.  Would anyone know if there is a cycle path next to the A412 as I don't fancy cycling on it.

Thanks

« Reply #7 on: 01 April, 2017, 10:31:22 pm »
No cycle path, wouldn't cycle it these days. I'd take the A408 south from Uxbridge, turn right at Cowley to go through Iver to Langley, right at the roundabout after going under the railway bridge, emerging onto the A4 just before the A412 roundabout.

velosam

« Reply #8 on: 02 April, 2017, 08:15:11 am »
Thanks will try and print out the route. I am going there in the morning so it will be rush hour as well!☹️