Author Topic: Essex Friday Night Ride to the Pub  (Read 134116 times)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Essex Friday Night Ride to the Pub
« Reply #400 on: 06 October, 2009, 07:41:01 pm »
The Norton Lives!

The Norton pub, in Cold Norton, which was saved by the local community from demolition and desecration, is now open and serving beer! They seem to have Coffee Morning most mornings, but serve beer in the evening.

I may well take a little trip out there soonish to see how the land lies, but I'm pretty sure a group of thirsty cyclists consuming their ale and swelling the coffers would not be unwelcome.

Anyone fancy a trip out there on 30th October?
The loss of humanity I could live with.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #401 on: 06 October, 2009, 07:48:55 pm »
The 30th you say?  Not a bad idea.  Let me see what can be done.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #402 on: 06 October, 2009, 08:13:17 pm »
Brace yourselves brothers, I have a suggestion to make.  I think it was a conversation with Sir Del that introduced the concept of us having a WAGS (and being inclusive: a HABS (Husbands and Boyfriends)) variant of our tried and tested formula.

Thus, my plan is to bring a WAG with me.  Negotiations and logistical arrangements are in full swing and I will keep you informed.  I just wanted to get the idea out there so others could latch on if the mood took them.

A precedent of sorts has been set as I recall, through a drunken haze, that we have already been graced with a splendid example of the fairer sex.  Granted she wasn't a WAG of anyone present on that particular night (as far as I know) and she did eat a pickled egg.

And, should any females that aren't WAGs want to come along I feel sure they would be most welcome.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #403 on: 06 October, 2009, 08:41:00 pm »
Thus, my plan is to bring a WAG with me.

Won't they squabble?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #404 on: 06 October, 2009, 08:45:21 pm »
Thus, my plan is to bring a WAG with me.

Won't they squabble?

Nope, my domestic arrangements in this regard are bomb proof!  If my plans go according to plan both will be present and peace and harmony will abound!

« Reply #405 on: 06 October, 2009, 09:15:59 pm »
NB: 30th Oct is FNRttC.

Whatever date I'll have to borrow a WAG for the evening 'cos OD has yet to get me a bride from the east.  ::-)

Oscar's dad

« Reply #406 on: 06 October, 2009, 09:17:38 pm »
NB: 30th Oct is FNRttC.

Whatever date I'll have to borrow a WAG for the evening 'cos OD has yet to get me a bride from the east.  ::-)

Yes, I am an embarrassing failure in this regard - sorry.

« Reply #407 on: 06 October, 2009, 09:22:04 pm »
I forgive your lapse and will let you run my singles ad campaign for this EFNRttP. Keep it clean!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #408 on: 06 October, 2009, 09:26:34 pm »
I forgive your lapse and will let you run my singles ad campaign for this EFNRttP. Keep it clean!

"The Essex Friday Night Ride to the Pub - so many men, so few women!"

« Reply #409 on: 07 October, 2009, 12:48:14 am »

"The Essex Friday Night Ride to the Pub - so many men, so few women!"

... and if he sobers up, one fewer nutty than currently looking at the screen.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #410 on: 12 October, 2009, 07:19:10 pm »
I have organised myself a WAG. Will others be present?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #411 on: 22 October, 2009, 10:48:34 am »

Over on the Mid Essex Mid-week Nocturnal thread I was appointed organsior of the Christmas do.  Ordinarily I will not even mention the C word until December let alone do any planning. However, I might make an exception as this event is very important  ;D

I had intended to organise a piss up in a brewery and after exhaustive research discovered the White Hart at Stebbing has a micro brewery bolted on.  Unfortunately the White Hart turned out to be a bit of a hole so that idea was dismissed.

The pub crawl we had in February (I think it was February , my memory of the event is hazy) was great fun so I wondered if we should have a Christmas pub crawl followed by a curry.  It has been mentioned that Shenfield would be a good place to start and finish due to the train station and a good curry house (can't remember the name).  So ...

1. Is this a good plan?
2. If so, suggest some nice pubs in the Shenfield area that we could grace with our custom
3. Friday 11th December works for me.  How about you?

PS - can we stipulate that the wearing on Santa hats and reindeer antlers etc is compulsory?

« Reply #412 on: 22 October, 2009, 02:27:37 pm »
I'm obviously up for it - really enjoyed last year's bash.

I'm happy to do whatever the majority want to do, but seeing as Q1 invites suggestions, I'd say the following:

If we're going to do a crawl, can we keep the number of pubs low? Like I say - I'm happy to do whatever, but bicycle pub crawls in winter can be a pain. By the time you've taken off all your layers (let's face it, it's going to be cold!) and relaxed with your pint, some piss head with a voracious appetite for beer will be going "Right! next pub!" and then you have to force down your pint, winterise yourself again and leave the nice warmth of the pub, then freeze only to repeat shortly afterwards. We could maybe just go to one place like we did last year?

A curry? At Christmas? I would prefer some fine English fair at such a time of year, Sir!

I agree that Shenfield way is the best way to suite most people.

Edit: I do have a santa hat with flashing light thingy on top somewhere  :thumbsup:
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #413 on: 22 October, 2009, 03:16:32 pm »
We could always stay "winterised" and sit outside ;)
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Oscar's dad

« Reply #414 on: 22 October, 2009, 03:41:06 pm »
Bobb, you make a fair point.  I was thinking the pub count should be low for the reasons you describe.  The crawl that I barely remember in February went thru 6 pubs and there was a great deal of rigging and de-rigging.  I think we should try a reasonable number of pubs as it involves a bit more cycling and variety adds spice to the evening.

By the way.  My research so far as identified the Crown in Ingatestone (CAMRA guide) and the Bell also Ingatestone (Cask Marque) as possibles.  I know virtually nothing about the Shenfield area or it's pubs so need some local knowledge from others.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #415 on: 22 October, 2009, 03:58:01 pm »
Just had an idea (the first in 2009).

Why don't we all meet at Chelmsford rail station and cycle to The Viper at Mill Green for a few jars.  We then head off towards Shenfield, stop at another pub along the way then have a curry when we get to Shenfield.  We can then head off home by train.

Christmas cheer, pickled eggs and presents for poor children can be dispensed as we merrily pedal along.

What do we think?

« Reply #416 on: 22 October, 2009, 03:58:52 pm »
I haven't been to the Crown or Bell in over 15 years, but I remember them as a bit rough. Ingatestone may appear to be a nice sleepy little town but there are some rough as guts characters there. Tokamak will have better knowledge of the place than me.....

We could just go to The Viper  :P

« Reply #417 on: 22 October, 2009, 04:01:50 pm »
Just had an idea (the first in 2009).

Why don't we all meet at Chelmsford rail station and cycle to The Viper at Mill Green for a few jars.  We then head off towards Shenfield, stop at another pub along the way then have a curry when we get to Shenfield.  We can then head off home by train.

Christmas cheer, pickled eggs and presents for poor children can be dispensed as we merrily pedal along.

What do we think?

Hehe, cross post. Obviously I'd be more than happy to meet at Chelmsford railway station as it's only about 3 minutes away by bike. That lot from Southend way would have to change trains though....

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #418 on: 24 October, 2009, 10:59:54 am »
... some piss head with a voracious appetite for beer will be going "Right! next pub!".

I resent that remark!!  >:( >:( >:(

;D
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #419 on: 27 October, 2009, 08:51:14 am »
This Friday at The Norton: who's going?  What's the plan etc?

« Reply #420 on: 27 October, 2009, 08:54:36 am »
I should be there, WAGless! Ride, drink, ride.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #421 on: 27 October, 2009, 09:04:43 am »
I should be there, WAGless! Ride, drink, ride.

So will I, Del. Shall we form a couple?

« Reply #422 on: 27 October, 2009, 09:21:12 am »
So will I, Del. Shall we form a couple?
It's either you or Regulator!  :o
What time do you want to leave? I was thinking around 1900 for a solo attempt. Meet you just past the hopstial at whatever time.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #423 on: 27 October, 2009, 10:08:05 am »
I think you'll look lovely together.  I've always thought you were a match made in Heaven.

I guess we will be departing Witham at around 1900 as well.

See you there   :thumbsup:

« Reply #424 on: 27 October, 2009, 10:19:00 am »
I think you'll look lovely together.  I've always thought you were a match made in Heaven.
If you get Wow to squint it doesn't count as getting me my Bride from the East!