Author Topic: Essex Friday Night Ride to the Pub  (Read 134109 times)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: Essex Friday Night Ride to the Pub
« Reply #425 on: 27 October, 2009, 10:38:03 am »
I think you'll look lovely together.  I've always thought you were a match made in Heaven.
If you get Wow to squint it doesn't count as getting me my Bride from the East!

Wow as a mail order bride from the Far East.  There's a concept to wrestle with.

Regrettably my Google image search on "geisha girl with Father Christmas beard" did not produce anything of note.

And by the way, I have been underwhelmed by responses to my post regarding plans for the Christmas do.  And I posted a picture of Wow and " a niece" to get you in the Xmas spirit.  Am I to post yet more titillating photos in order to get a response?  Surely not!

« Reply #426 on: 27 October, 2009, 10:40:34 am »
And by the way, I have been underwhelmed by responses to my post regarding plans for the Christmas do.  And I posted a picture of Wow and " a niece" to get you in the Xmas spirit.  Am I to post yet more titillating photos in order to get a response?  Surely not!
I'm with bobb, just go to the Viper.  :thumbsup:
K.I.S.S.

edit: ...and post some more titillating photos.  ;)

Oscar's dad

« Reply #427 on: 27 October, 2009, 10:47:49 am »
And by the way, I have been underwhelmed by responses to my post regarding plans for the Christmas do.  And I posted a picture of Wow and " a niece" to get you in the Xmas spirit.  Am I to post yet more titillating photos in order to get a response?  Surely not!
I'm with bobb, just go to the Viper.  :thumbsup:
K.I.S.S.

edit: ...and post some more titillating photos.  ;)

If that fits with the Southend branch it works for me!

PS - how do you get one of those little flaps into a post so you can put something naughty underneath?

« Reply #428 on: 27 October, 2009, 10:50:02 am »
PS - how do you get one of those little flaps into a post so you can put something naughty underneath?
(click to show/hide)

Edit: replace the <> with []

<spoiler>nsfw material</spoiler>

Oscar's dad

« Reply #429 on: 27 October, 2009, 10:57:11 am »
Is there an icon?

« Reply #430 on: 27 October, 2009, 11:02:28 am »
I'm with bobb, just go to the Viper.  :thumbsup:

What, for din dins?

I'm not sure they serve grub in the evenings. Maybe I'll have to ride out there this arvo to find out  :P
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #431 on: 27 October, 2009, 11:04:40 am »
Right then, after much faffing, here is a NOT EXACTLY SAFE FOR WORK image to get some of you in the Christmas spirit:

(click to show/hide)

So, anymore thoughts on the Christmas do???

Oscar's dad

« Reply #432 on: 27 October, 2009, 11:11:52 am »
I'm with bobb, just go to the Viper.  :thumbsup:

What, for din dins?

I'm not sure they serve grub in the evenings. Maybe I'll have to ride out there this arvo to find out  :P

Is there a curry establishment within striking distance of The Viper?

« Reply #433 on: 27 October, 2009, 11:17:49 am »
Is there a curry establishment within striking distance of The Viper?
There's a place called Nirvana in Ingatestone, don't know if it's any good though as I just found it on google maps. Clicky

« Reply #434 on: 27 October, 2009, 11:33:44 am »
There's always the Cricketers* if we wanted to make it a pub crawl. It's a whopping full half mile from the Viper  :P

*Last time I was in there I thought it was over priced ponceyness. But I seem to recall someone telling me recently that it's changed hands.....

« Reply #435 on: 27 October, 2009, 04:06:32 pm »
And by the way, I have been underwhelmed by responses to my post regarding plans for the Christmas do.  

Well, Sir. I can change all that!!

Today, in my lunch 3 hours, I did a reconnaissance mission.

Option 1 was a kind of Chelmsford to Shenfield type thing (obviously people can start from wherever they like) but:

Chelmsford station to The Viper: @ 7 miles.

They never have served food in the evening, but I asked the guy behind the bar if they would be for xmas. He didn't know and Land Lord and Lady were out. I doubt very much they will.

I managed to squeeze in a coffee before they shut.

On to The Cricketers : @ 7.5 miles.

The were just closing up, so I couldn't really go in and hassle them, but they did have a board outside saying "Now taking Christmas bookings" The food is good there, if a little pricey. Nice pub too. It's an option.

The Woolpack @ 8miles. Never open. Never been in there.

Wanged it down the hill into Ingatestone @ 9 miles

The Nirvana curry house is barely 50 yards on the right.

It looks pretty nice. Obviously it was shut, so I peered in and could see lots of (mostly round) tables laid out. Looked a bit posh. Or rather poncey. Had a look at the menu and it looked very nice. A little more pricey than your average cuzza. Also loads of stuff on the menu I'd never heard of. Read poncey.

It's certainly an option. EDIT: It's right on the High Street - no idea where bikes could be left securely.

I couldn't be arsed to carry on to Shenfield, so I went down the hill towards Margaretting and crossed over the A12. For a laugh, I thought I'd take a bit of a detour to see what Furze Hill had to offer  :P They are indeed offering Christmas stuff, but I think that may be going a little over the top!!

So I carried on that road and ended up near The Viper again before thrashing down the hill. As I was passing through Loves Green I suddenly had another thought!!!!

What about The Duck at Newney Green?!! They do great food!

Start at Shenfield and do it in reverse. This would also suit people further out who don't live near a main line station.

Start at Shenfield and ride to The Viper. Pint.

Roll down the hill and turn left towards Newney Green just passed the church.

Fox and Hounds (I think?). Pint.

Shimmy across the A414 whizz down to the Duck. (It's pretty much downhill all the way from The Viper) EAT. DRINK.

People can do what ever they like to get back. Ride off into the night, ride back to Shenfield or ride to Chelmsford which is about 4 miles away - much of it on traffic free cycle path (for those feeling a bit wobbly)

Anyway. I intend to do more research over the coming days....

Are you still feeling underwhelmed?  :P

Edit: That was one of the most enjoyable solo rides I have ever done  :)

Oscar's dad

« Reply #436 on: 27 October, 2009, 04:22:03 pm »
Bobb dear chap, I am now overwhelmed!!!  A recce mission that that quality hasn't been seen since the D-Day landings.  Sir, we salute you!

I liked all your ideas.  After you have continued with your research why don't you hone down the options and present us with the best?  I for one would be delighted to place myself entirely in your quite clearly very capable hands  :thumbsup:

« Reply #437 on: 27 October, 2009, 04:25:35 pm »
Bobb dear chap, I am now overwhelmed!!!  A recce mission that that quality hasn't been seen since the D-Day landings.  Sir, we salute you!

I liked all your ideas.  After you have continued with your research why don't you hone down the options and present us with the best?  I for one would be delighted to place myself entirely in quite clearly very capable hands  :thumbsup:

Noes! Don't make me organise it! I'm happy to do recces, but whenever I have to organise stuff I get so stressed out I end up on the edge of a nervous breakdown  :'(

Oscar's dad

« Reply #438 on: 27 October, 2009, 04:36:31 pm »
Bobb dear chap, I am now overwhelmed!!!  A recce mission that that quality hasn't been seen since the D-Day landings.  Sir, we salute you!

I liked all your ideas.  After you have continued with your research why don't you hone down the options and present us with the best?  I for one would be delighted to place myself entirely in quite clearly very capable hands  :thumbsup:

Noes! Don't make me organise it! I'm happy to do recces, but whenever I have to organise stuff I get so stressed out I end up on the edge of a nervous breakdown  :'(

Fear not my fine friend, fear not.  Just make some recommendations and all will be well  :thumbsup:

« Reply #439 on: 27 October, 2009, 04:49:25 pm »
OK, I'll do more recces, list them, we have a vote, then you can book it and heard us all  ;D

Once we have more routes/pubs, we should start a new thread so other people (Londonites/East Angularians etc) can be included if they want to come along. I'm looking forward to this work :)

Edit: Of course, other people can suggest things. I suppose our main criteria is that most people will be doing this train assisted (except for the nutters) so the start/finish should be main line/easy stations friendly.

Edit 2: We need to get a move on so we can get booked up

Oscar's dad

« Reply #440 on: 27 October, 2009, 04:52:24 pm »
OK, I'll do more recces, list them, we have a vote, then you can book it and heard us all  ;D

Once we have more routes/pubs, we should start a new thread so other people (Londonites/East Angularians etc) can be included if they want to come along. I'm looking forward to this work :)

Edit: Of course, other people can suggest things. I suppose our main criteria is that most people will be doing this train assisted (except for the nutters) so the start/finish should be main line/easy stations friendly.

That's exactly what I had in mind  :thumbsup:  See?  You're a genius!

Enjoy your work   ;D

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #441 on: 29 October, 2009, 10:54:13 pm »
I think you'll look lovely together.  I've always thought you were a match made in Heaven.

I guess we will be departing Witham at around 1900 as well.

See you there   :thumbsup:

There's a very good chance I'll be able to join you on this one.  Would that be 19:00 from your garage door?

Do you have a route in mind?  Obviously the Stow Maries route we did a couple of weeks back would be very easily adaptable - only about 12.5 miles IIRC.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Oscar's dad

« Reply #442 on: 30 October, 2009, 09:08:44 am »

I guess we will be departing Witham at around 1900 as well.

See you there   :thumbsup:

There's a very good chance I'll be able to join you on this one.  Would that be 19:00 from your garage door?

Do you have a route in mind?  Obviously the Stow Maries route we did a couple of weeks back would be very easily adaptable - only about 12.5 miles IIRC.

You're not suggesting you share my WAG are you?  I can think of several flaws in that plan.

Providing your intentions are entirely honourable then 1900 hrs round the back of ours would be most agreeable.

Yes, an adaptation of the Stow Maries route would be good.  I have programmed the Garmin and it works out at 13.6 miles which sounds about right.  The pace will be sedate as The Current Mrs R is still suffering from the exertions of Wednesday night - she really must get out more!

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #443 on: 30 October, 2009, 03:24:02 pm »
... 1900 hrs round the back of ours would be most agreeable.

Super - I shall come and loiter at the appointed hour then.

Yes, an adaptation of the Stow Maries route would be good.  I have programmed the Garmin and it works out at 13.6 miles which sounds about right.  The pace will be sedate as The Current Mrs R is still suffering from the exertions of Wednesday night - she really must get out more!

Did you plan on Hoe Mill Lock --> Woodham Walter --> Tom Tit Lane --> Woodham Mortimer --> Cock Clarks and down from there to Cold Norton?  ISTR that on the Stow Maries ride, you remarked that the bit past the Hurdlemaker's wasn't the route you'd been thinking of that time.

(Or were you intending to subject your good lady wife to North Hill?)

Oscar's dad

« Reply #444 on: 30 October, 2009, 03:29:59 pm »
... 1900 hrs round the back of ours would be most agreeable.

Super - I shall come and loiter at the appointed hour then.

Did you plan on Hoe Mill Lock --> Woodham Walter --> Tom Tit Lane --> Woodham Mortimer --> Cock Clarks and down from there to Cold Norton?  ISTR that on the Stow Maries ride, you remarked that the bit past the Hurdlemaker's wasn't the route you'd been thinking of that time.

(Or were you intending to subject your good lady wife to North Hill?)

Don't loiter (particularly if you've got your silly torch bolted onto yer hat), we live in a nice neighbourhood and I don't want the likes of you dragging house prices down.  Come and bang on the back door if there are no signs of life out the back.

Yes, you have the route correct.  And no, I wasn't planning on taking my good lady wife up (the) ...

... North Hill  ;D

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #445 on: 31 October, 2009, 12:48:43 am »
Just back from the Norton, having ridden there and back in the company of  OD and Mrs OD.

del and wowbagger were in attendance, and Maldon Gold was on tap.

After a tightly fought contest, wowbagger is the undisputed King of Wees (inc. Sphincter Control), and Mrs OD's jugs were discussed.  OD's favourite bathtime activity was also revealed.

27.74 miles in much milder conditions than the last time we took to those roads (en-route to Stow Maries).

« Reply #446 on: 31 October, 2009, 01:31:51 am »
I seem to have some extra photographs on my camera!   ::-)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #447 on: 31 October, 2009, 01:40:44 am »
After rather more beer than is good for a chap, I am safely ensconced at home, pint of water to hand.

Another very amusing evening out, at the Norton, a WORKERS' CO-OPERATIVE of a pub, rescued as it was from the jaws of the property developers by the villagers of Cold Norton. As has been written in the Gospel according to St. Mark Oakden, Maldon Gold was on tap. My first pint was decidedly turbid, but tasted perfectly OK.

Has anyone, before Oscar's Dad that is, taken their i-phone into the bog with them to time how long they could wee for? At that point the competitive spirit took over and we were all wazzing to the watch. (Mrs. OD exempted herself from this particular competition & Del also failed to get under starter's orders.)

There was moisture of another kind for the last couple of miles of Del's & my returned home.

35.9 miles for me.
The loss of humanity I could live with.

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #448 on: 31 October, 2009, 08:35:47 am »
I seem to have some extra photographs on my camera!   ::-)

OD didn't take that to the loo as well did he?  ;D

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #449 on: 31 October, 2009, 09:06:00 am »
And how is OD's head this morning?

I THINK WE SOULD ALL SHOUT ON THIS THREAD FOR A WHILE.... ;D
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor