Author Topic: Essex Friday Night Ride to the Pub  (Read 134113 times)

Re: Essex Friday Night Ride to the Pub
« Reply #675 on: 21 March, 2017, 01:58:29 pm »
I should be in but got a busy Saturday so Tomsk happy to accompany you down the A12

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #676 on: 21 March, 2017, 02:06:03 pm »
Terrific, the more the merrier!

« Reply #677 on: 21 March, 2017, 02:13:50 pm »
I better ask for my pass. Considering the sizeable commitment to the family I have signed up for this week I deserve a night out just to calm my nerves.

It is possible Mrs Tippers is engaged at the Yoof Club though which would be mildly annoying.

« Reply #678 on: 21 March, 2017, 06:18:28 pm »
Can I make a radical suggestion that as theres a lot of lightweight about claiming things like a family life etc (myself included) the touted ruby comes earlier in the eve?

Also may need to borrow lockage if I cant get the usual bike sorted out by Friday, would involve bringing the much lighter and therefore faster road bike which unfortunately lacks carrying capacity for much more then a saddle bag and a small one at that.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #679 on: 21 March, 2017, 07:06:43 pm »
... the touted ruby comes earlier in the eve?

Seconded, good call  :thumbsup: Curry then homeward run for me, in preference to a few beers and no curry.

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #680 on: 21 March, 2017, 07:19:08 pm »
I'm in, I'll decide on bike on the basis of weather and A12 cyclepath resistant tyres. Beer and curry or curry and beer - both work for me.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #681 on: 22 March, 2017, 07:21:38 am »
Good suggestion Johnny.

« Reply #682 on: 22 March, 2017, 12:58:33 pm »
As I feared Mrs Tippers is on duty at the Yoof Club in Tiptree so I am not going to make it....unless I can convince Alys she should come along  ;D

Oscar's dad

« Reply #683 on: 22 March, 2017, 01:52:04 pm »
Mini tippers is most welcome!

the straggler

• ACME Award Recipient & ROTY 2021
« Reply #684 on: 22 March, 2017, 09:15:08 pm »
Just would like to know if there is a rough schedule of pubs visits and what time you are aiming to hit the 1st pub in colchester, so I can plan to meet up.
Cheers.
CCS - Setting the Standards

Oscar's dad

« Reply #685 on: 23 March, 2017, 08:01:33 am »
I think we will be at the Live and Let Live, Stanway by about 8:30. 

Oscar's dad

« Reply #686 on: 24 March, 2017, 01:36:26 pm »
Excitement builds, tonight's the night  :thumbsup:

The Witham peloton leaves the Spa Road roundabout at 7:30pm heading east in search of beer and curry ... burp.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #687 on: 24 March, 2017, 04:51:17 pm »
We were hoping to join in the fun but I am just too knackered after an all night trip back from Madrid courtesy of EasyJet. I know I suffer sleep deprivation on Audax but this seems worse.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #688 on: 24 March, 2017, 05:00:39 pm »
We were hoping to join in the fun but I am just too knackered after an all night trip back from Madrid courtesy of EasyJet. I know I suffer sleep deprivation on Audax but this seems worse.

Oh dear, you are excused.  There will be other times.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #689 on: 24 March, 2017, 05:23:54 pm »
I was wondering when the first Mid-Essex FNRttP was.  My photo archive has revealed this taken at The Hurdlemakers on Friday 2nd May 2008:

Present are me, delthebike, Wowbagger, bobb and токамак (seldom of this parish these days which is a real shame).

I must have got a bit pissed as these photos were taken early on Saturday morning by The Current Mrs R on my return to her boudoir:

Oscar's dad

« Reply #690 on: 25 March, 2017, 10:24:21 am »
Yesterday evening went very well no thanks to me!

I got to the Spa Road roundabout early to find BFC and Johnny waiting for me.  Thinking we had a full compliment of riders and bearing in mind Johnny needed to find a cash point I suggested we push off.

When we got to Tiptree we needed to stop as I'd had a text from tippers earlier saying he was now coming out and would meet us on the route I had posted, a route I had amended when I learned tippers wasn't coming out but I couldn't remember what the original route was.  So as I was about to phone him when I noticed a text from Tomsk sent from the Spa Road roundabout - I'd forgotten we were meeting him there!  Anyhow, I got both tippers and Tomsk on the phone and we all met up by the Factory Shop in Tiptree.

The full peloton departed Tiptree to Stanway via a circuitous route I had devised to take in a nice bit of COR I'd spotted on the map.  Suffice to say we were 30 minutes late meeting The Straggler at the Live and Let Live.  The pub was smashing with some friendly locals but after a pint we set off again in search of curry.  tippers took us over some more lovely COR off the Lexden road after which we found curry.

BFC ordered something very hot indeed which seemed to have no effect on him, much to the awe of the restaurant staff.  We also polished off a respectable amount of Cobra.

Then it was home, the A12 cyclepath struck again and we had to stop whilst I attended to Fred's rear tyre.

What with us riding around Charles and Daphne's garden on Wednesday evening I really must get my shit together!