Author Topic: Essex Friday Night Ride to the Pub  (Read 134113 times)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: Essex Friday Night Ride to the Pub
« Reply #375 on: 10 August, 2009, 10:28:10 am »

My highlights then were, bumping into a girl I used to go to school with and hadn't seen in at least 14 years (and OD dropping unsubtle hints, trying to play the matchmaker ::-))

I have a good feeling about this.  I am already looking for a hat and will hire you Tina the Tandem for the honeymoon.  She was a cracking girl.

« Reply #376 on: 10 August, 2009, 10:43:36 am »
Can I be best man? I have plenty of material for the speech  :P
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #377 on: 10 August, 2009, 10:44:49 am »
Can I be best man? I have plenty of material for the speech  :P

With that hat you're bound to get invited to the Hen Party as well!

« Reply #378 on: 10 August, 2009, 10:46:04 am »
Right that's it. I'm going to go down to the market today to see if I can actually buy one!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #379 on: 10 August, 2009, 10:57:38 am »
Right that's it. I'm going to go down to the market today to see if I can actually buy one!

What are you going to do with two identical hats?  One to wash and one to wear?

« Reply #380 on: 10 August, 2009, 11:11:08 am »
The hat pictured is not bobb's! It belongs to a lady friend of mine, and bobb wanted to try it on for size when we were all on a train back from Kent following my birthday celebrations last year - camping (it up) and attending a folk music concert in a church in Sandwich.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #381 on: 10 August, 2009, 11:13:16 am »
The hat pictured is not bobb's! It belongs to a lady friend of mine, and bobb wanted to try it on for size when we were all on a train back from Kent following my birthday celebrations last year - camping (it up) and attending a folk music concert in a church in Sandwich.

Yeah, yeah, we know the story.  You're a loyal friend but we all know the truth   ;D 

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #382 on: 10 August, 2009, 11:13:24 am »
It's good of you to cover up for your friend. ;)
Getting there...

Oscar's dad

« Reply #383 on: 10 August, 2009, 11:16:52 am »
It's good of you to cover up for your friend. ;)

Exactly!  Bobb shouldn't be ashamed of the unbreakable association between him and HIS HAT.

Thanks to this forum I'm now a gay icon.  Does it bother me?  Not a bit.  Though I do stand against a wall on occasions.

« Reply #384 on: 10 August, 2009, 11:18:51 am »
The man clearly covets such a hat and has now succumbed to this desire and is off to buy one. Good on him I say - at least we'll all be able to recognise him at Mildenhall in a few weeks time!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #385 on: 10 August, 2009, 11:20:32 am »
The man clearly covets such a hat and has now succumbed to this desire and is off to buy one. Good on him I say - at least we'll all be able to recognise him at Mildenhall in a few weeks time!

Do you think he'll get the rest of the outfit to go with the hat?  Can't wait for the inevitable pictures!

« Reply #386 on: 10 August, 2009, 01:58:35 pm »
On arrival, I found out that the market is closed on a Monday  >:(

I know just the stall though - the one where I bought my mirror shades for almost no money. They are now my cycling shades  :) I will have a new magic hat in pink tomorrow though  :P

Oscar's dad

« Reply #387 on: 10 August, 2009, 02:09:23 pm »
On arrival, I found out that the market is closed on a Monday  >:(

I know just the stall though - the one where I bought my mirror shades for almost no money. They are now my cycling shades  :) I will have a new magic hat in pink tomorrow though  :P

Top man.  Don't forget the matching magic bag and shoes.

« Reply #388 on: 11 August, 2009, 10:03:06 am »
Anyway, getting back to the pub... I only took one photo, with my phone, and it was on Saturday not Friday, but here's Oscar's Dad going hair-of-the-dog and ordering perry because he couldn't stomach any more beer after Friday night's effort. :P

Oscar's dad

« Reply #389 on: 11 August, 2009, 10:07:46 am »
^^^  ;D  Oh dear, I look as rough as I felt!

Viv

• Are we having fun yet?
    • Lythgo
« Reply #390 on: 12 August, 2009, 12:58:48 pm »
Sounds like fun. Can I play?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #391 on: 12 August, 2009, 01:07:46 pm »
Sounds like fun. Can I play?

You sure can.  Keep an eye out here for the date of the next.  Better still suggest something yourself.  You've probably got the gist of the format already  ;D

« Reply #392 on: 12 August, 2009, 01:08:15 pm »
Of course. Not sure when the next one is. Some can be quite impromptu - watch this space I guess.

« Reply #393 on: 21 August, 2009, 04:19:47 pm »
It doesn't get any more last minute than this - but when I leave work some time imminently, I'm going to head straight for The Compasses Inn in Littley Green. Although I cycle past it almost every day on my commute, I've never stopped there, so this will be rectified this evening! It used to be a Ridleys pub and was the closest to the Brewery. It is now owned by the Ridley family. :thumbsup:

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #394 on: 21 August, 2009, 05:37:13 pm »
It doesn't get any more last minute than this - but when I leave work some time imminently, I'm going to head straight for The Compasses Inn in Littley Green. Although I cycle past it almost every day on my commute, I've never stopped there, so this will be rectified this evening! It used to be a Ridleys pub and was the closest to the Brewery. It is now owned by the Ridley family. :thumbsup:

Look out for Simon Heffer, extreme right wing Telegraph (?) journalist, for whom this is a local. If you spill a pint of beer over him, I'll buy you two pints as a replacement.

The beer there is normally gravity drawn.
The loss of humanity I could live with.

bloomers100

• ACME's Head of Sexual Health and Family Planning
« Reply #395 on: 21 August, 2009, 05:38:17 pm »
Good skillz tokamak, I'm wondering if you are still there?

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #396 on: 21 August, 2009, 05:40:05 pm »

I'd be tempted, but i promised Mrs. O that I'd look after the kids while she went out for a ride tonight.  I'll see when she wants to go and if I can fit another ride in after her perhaps.

As it happens, I've cycled past there twice today already :)
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #397 on: 22 August, 2009, 09:50:14 am »
Well that was an interesting evening?!

A nice ride out, but I was a little tiddly as there is a rather important cricket match taking place at the moment and I had to be in a pub to watch it  :P

We consumed a number of well kept ales before heading home. I had a couple of off road moments (  ;) ) but made it home safely.

Nice jaunt.....

« Reply #398 on: 24 August, 2009, 11:51:09 am »
I'm going to head straight for The Compasses Inn in Littley Green.

Look out for Simon Heffer, extreme right wing Telegraph (?) journalist, for whom this is a local. If you spill a pint of beer over him, I'll buy you two pints as a replacement.

The beer there is normally gravity drawn.

Don't think he was there - just a bunch of farmers complaining about banks.

This is a proper little spit-and-sawdust type pub though. Beer was poured out the back - no pumps on the bar. And updates on the cricket were shouted down from upstairs.

Bobb did worry me slightly on the way home - a squeal of brakes behind me and I turn round to see him on the wrong side of the road inches away from going into the verge! Riding a bike after a few pints is not a good time to be daydreaming! :P

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #399 on: 24 August, 2009, 02:17:14 pm »
It does great food though. Huffers, which seem to be a mid-Essex speciality. There are a few pubs around great Leighs which advertise them.

Simon Heffer dresses like a gentleman farmer - tweeds, brogues, cords. He's a red-hair, red faced bad-tempered looking git. He's actually about 6 years younger than I am: I remember him at school when I was in the upper sixth and he was an annoying tick of a first year. He hasn't changed, other than in size and shape.
The loss of humanity I could live with.