Author Topic: TCR No9  (Read 17640 times)

StuAff

• Folding not boring
Re: TCR No9
« Reply #100 on: 31 July, 2023, 09:11:45 pm »
Anna Lindén scratched- not up on the official tracker but she posted on Instagram. I quote…
" scratched the Transcontinental Race.

I reached CP1 within 12 minutes of the cutoff so proud - I had lost my wallet in Chiavenna and my phone wasn't working. I pushed and pushed into the dark towards Livigno and suddenly some riders showed up and told me it was one more switchback and then downhill to the CP. We all made it, freezing from flying down the sepentines.

Then I took on the Stelvio. Sorry Stelvio you weren't worth it, too long and too many cars.

The valley ride after Stelvio to Bolzano was amazing among the orchards. I pushed on 50 km after Bolzano and had to bivvy quickly on a playground, under a picknick table, to escape the rain, along with two other riders. Had covered enough km to reach CP2 the day after.

Half way into it, my Wahoo took my route off it's menu. My phone was dead and I had to ask a hotel for a paper map. In Kranjska Gora I took the wrong climb.

I knew there would be a climb and thought it was It. Rain came as I took on the 9 km up into Triglovits national park. I powered on, dedicated to reach CP2. It rained and I stopped at the top to bivvy under a small table to escape the rain.

I went down in the morning, slowly on the wet tarmac, and realized my mistake at the sign of Bovec. Oh no. Sat down by the shining blue Soca river and put all my sleeping kit out to dry. Had some breakfast and met some gorgeous van life people.

Climbed and pushed my bike up again. My knees were hurting quite badly and I couldn't trust my Wahoo and when I had spent hours of faffing to find the way to CP2, I got a double puncture on a gravel path and realized my back skewer was broke and rode to the nearest town and that was it.

When my navigation tech wasn't working and my knees were screaming, I had to call it a day.

I had a beer. I called my boyfriend. I took a hotel. I started dreaming of the Slovenian Adriatic coast.

Thank you all at @thetranscontinental for an amazing experience and for looking after all the little dots so carefully.

This race is so much more than the actual pedaling, even though pedaling is what it all comes down to.

And don't worry - I'll be back for my revenge."

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #101 on: 31 July, 2023, 09:13:59 pm »

Mikko is stuck trying to get into Serbia, apparently he couldn't use one border crossing so is following the border to look for another crossing.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #102 on: 31 July, 2023, 10:03:51 pm »
Anna Lindén scratched- not up on the official tracker but she posted on Instagram. I quote…
" scratched the Transcontinental Race.
Wow - that's a story! Thanks Stu
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #103 on: 01 August, 2023, 12:05:07 am »
Stu,
thanks so much for posting that report. Im so glad to have seen it.
 It wasn't possible to read that out loud without welling up.
It really encapsulated to me what the essence of what TCR is.  When you sign up to race you make a contract with the organisation and with yourself.
It doesn't mean you that are going to get to the finish, but you owe to all concerned that you give it a damn good try.
Anna plainly had that spirit in spades.

often lost.

« Reply #104 on: 01 August, 2023, 12:10:29 am »
While on the insta topic, I highly recommend taking a look at Jesko Werthen's reports on the site, very frank, descriptive and honest.
often lost.

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #105 on: 01 August, 2023, 07:43:59 am »
Thanks Stu. A gripping story of bad luck and true grit.

GPS failure. Phone dead. Dead reckoning in the pouring rain. I can relate. (but after only 300km, and I had the fortune of joining another rider after a while)

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #106 on: 01 August, 2023, 11:21:05 am »
While on the insta topic, I highly recommend taking a look at Jesko Werthen's reports on the site, very frank, descriptive and honest.
+1. A great read. He's having a hard time, but I think that's in the rules…

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #107 on: 01 August, 2023, 11:28:20 am »
Christoph is on the last stretch. About 25km to go for him I think…

Flâneur

• ♫ P*nctured bicycle on a hillside desolate...
« Reply #108 on: 01 August, 2023, 12:06:51 pm »
Looks like a strange route choice from Will Vousden between parcours 4 and the finish parcours. There be mountains that way, Will.

« Reply #109 on: 01 August, 2023, 12:31:05 pm »
Looks like a strange route choice from Will Vousden between parcours 4 and the finish parcours. There be mountains that way, Will.

Yes super curious about this one. I tried to thread a route through that way last night and it invariably ended up in cul de sacs and spindly mountain passes. maybe he's going to do a Robin and has a barely visible goat track plan.
often lost.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #110 on: 01 August, 2023, 12:48:09 pm »

Is Christoph struggling? He seems very slow on the last few km of the finish parcour. Faster than a walk, but not by much...

J
--

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #111 on: 01 August, 2023, 01:00:40 pm »

Is Christoph struggling? He seems very slow on the last few km of the finish parcour. Faster than a walk, but not by much...

J
Mechanical of some kind, at a guess. He was out of spare tubes a day or two ago ..

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #112 on: 01 August, 2023, 01:30:48 pm »
Well, if there was a problem, or he was just being a tourist, final stretch and doing 20 kph now ..

« Reply #113 on: 01 August, 2023, 01:31:26 pm »

J
Mechanical of some kind, at a guess. He was out of spare tubes a day or two ago ..

He is also suffering from 'very serious saddle sores'.

« Reply #114 on: 01 August, 2023, 01:35:49 pm »
That's that, then.

Strassattack!

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #115 on: 01 August, 2023, 01:36:42 pm »

J

He is also suffering from 'very serious saddle sores'.
Ouch. Had a milder one on tour a few weeks ago, that was bad enough. But he's finished now .   8 days, 16 hrs 30 mins official time

« Reply #116 on: 02 August, 2023, 09:37:12 am »
I think there may have been a change in the Women's lead?
With Maria Holdcroft over taking Jaimi Wilson.

I think it may be that Maria didn't stop, or stopped for less time than Jaimi in the A section of the last parcours

Sherry Cardona is still in ahead in the pairs

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #117 on: 02 August, 2023, 11:04:46 am »

If Jaime doesn't wake up soon. She's gonna drop to 3rd...

J
--

« Reply #118 on: 02 August, 2023, 01:06:06 pm »
It looks like Anatole Naimi, who was third across the line, has been kicked out of the GC  :(

Anatole Naimi (232) rode strongly in TCRNo9, but due to extended periods of time not riding alone has been awarded a finish outside of General Classification.

I seem to remember that the organisation has made some unpopular decisions in previous years - lets hope that this one is justified!

« Reply #119 on: 02 August, 2023, 02:17:24 pm »

I'm a little worried that Jaime's dot hasn't moved for 6 hours now, and I think they had a "good" stop on the last Parcours (4a?) near a pair of hotels so should be "well rested" (for a TCR value of...)

« Reply #120 on: 02 August, 2023, 02:17:38 pm »
^surely that means that someone else (in the top 10) will have to recieve a similar fate... Otherwise who did he ride with?

Flâneur

• ♫ P*nctured bicycle on a hillside desolate...
« Reply #121 on: 02 August, 2023, 02:24:22 pm »
^surely that means that someone else (in the top 10) will have to recieve a similar fate... Otherwise who did he ride with?

Maybe a non-competitor?

« Reply #122 on: 02 August, 2023, 02:31:18 pm »
Then how would they know unless witnessed first hand?

Possible, but unlikely, I would have thought.  ???

« Reply #123 on: 02 August, 2023, 02:41:52 pm »

I'm a little worried that Jaime's dot hasn't moved for 6 hours now, and I think they had a "good" stop on the last Parcours (4a?) near a pair of hotels so should be "well rested" (for a TCR value of...)

She has registered at CP4 so it looks like it is just tracker issues.

« Reply #124 on: 02 August, 2023, 04:53:36 pm »
She has registered at CP4 so it looks like it is just tracker issues.

...and after the last round of stops is about 4k ahead of Maria again