Author Topic: Will people think I'm taking the mickey if ...  (Read 12314 times)

Re: Will people think I'm taking the mickey if ...
« Reply #25 on: 21 September, 2009, 06:29:52 am »
Alas, I didn't zip round, but was part of said little group, together with my wife, and her sister (on first Audax).

Given the company, t'was one of the most pleasant Audax rides I have done so far.

Next time, though, I shall not wear LEL jersey on a 50 and thus endure the ridicule of Marmite Geoff (happily now seen back on a bike and also member of said group)

This was a very pleasant ride in the said group.   There were two long hills the first I was beaten up by harry with his camera  ;),  the second I made without resort to the 24" gear.  A few weeks ago that would not have been possible, so progress is being made.

Geoff

Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot

« Reply #26 on: 21 September, 2009, 11:34:43 am »
Well done ! You did somewhat better than Mike (he of trailer pulling Arrivee fame) as he gave up after 6 miles - not a flat course though and the little one played up..... :thumbsup:

Apodidae

« Reply #27 on: 21 September, 2009, 01:07:15 pm »
I'm thinking of doing the Golden Tints 100k this Saturday on my Pashley Paramount.  Very heavy and 5 sturmey archer gears that are spaced far apart.  Guards and rack though!  Great fun and function as a commuter, but I think I'll probably loose my bottle and take the sporty triple Orbea Aspin and as the forecast is good I shouldn't need guards.

« Reply #28 on: 30 September, 2009, 10:45:55 pm »
Pics from the event are now up.  Here I am grinding gently to halt

This is what we looked like before the off.

The full gallery is here.

« Reply #29 on: 01 October, 2009, 11:29:15 pm »
I don't want to start another h*lm*t thread, but if you're going to force your son to wear one please get a properly fitting one and make sure it's worn properly.

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

this one is a great image from a photography point of view but the hat is as useful as mine, which I usually leave on the shelf in the cupboard at home.

« Reply #30 on: 01 October, 2009, 11:47:39 pm »
 Believe it or not, I didn't force him to wear it.  You'll note that I'm not :)  By the time that photo was taken we'd been out for about two hours - probably a bit hot 'n' sweaty and hence the jaunty angle.  I'm pretty sure it does fit ok when unjaunted but given your prompting I shall give it another look. 

« Reply #31 on: 01 October, 2009, 11:51:03 pm »
I'm glad

a) it's his choice

b) you didn't blow up at me

Thank you.     (I wrote and deleted that post 5 times).

« Reply #32 on: 02 October, 2009, 06:25:56 am »
Thanks for the company and the photos.

I was the large bloke that rode with you for most of the ride untill Cottesbrook.

It was a grand day.

Geoff
Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot

vistaed

• Everyday stories
« Reply #33 on: 06 October, 2009, 08:18:22 pm »
Good one Jez  ;D
after hardship comes ease -
 www.strava.com/athletes/188220

« Reply #34 on: 16 July, 2010, 07:43:02 pm »
Entered again for this September.  Just bought a tandem so this time he'll have to push  ;D

« Reply #35 on: 05 October, 2010, 02:56:10 pm »
Turns out tandem are completely fantastic fun.  You should all get one. 

In a fit of enthusiasm Harry, now 6 going on 7, did the Tamworth National Forest 50 because it was organised by Clive, one of the people we'd written last year's Welland with.  It was ace - we were going so well we had to go slow for several km before we got to the control so we didn't arrive early.  After a leisurely cake, we zoomed back to come in on the dot of 3 hours.

My other son Daniel, aged 10, joined us on the Welland 50km.  We left a few minutes late (faffing) and then, about 20km in, Harry managed to catch himself in the chain.  I don't quite know how, but somehow he managed to snag the outside of his left ankle on the timing chain or chain ring.  Sitting on the side of the road, crying for his Mum, he just wanted to go home. Daniel and I gently pointed out we were some way into the ride and the only way home was to cycle back to the car. After several minutes, he was calmed down enough to agree to ride on the control. Even before we reached the control, his confidence began to return and once there he confided that "we can't let Daniel down". Happily the return section was absent such excitement.  Eventually we rolled in for 3 hours 29.

Daniel's now considering joining me on a 100 and I expect once as soon as he sees his new bike (an Islabikes Beinn, but don't say anything it's a surprise) Harry will be angling to do a 50 solo rather than as stoker.

Get 'em young, that's what I say.