Author Topic: LEJOG route planning advive  (Read 2108 times)

LEJOG route planning advive
« on: 31 August, 2017, 06:15:36 pm »
I am planning to do LEJOG next July and would welcome any advice on my proposed routes listed below.
My aim is to do it as an Audax event 7 x 200km rides.

Day 1 - Lands End to Tiverton
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/22545994
Day 2 - Tiverton to Wofferton
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/22546111
Day 3 - Wofferton to Bilsborrow
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/22546258
Day 4 - Builsborrow to Moffat
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/24381351
Day 5 - Moffat to Crianlarich
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/24441943
Day 6 - Crianlarich to Evanton (or Dingwall)
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/24560090
Day 7 - Evanton (or Dingwall) to John O'Groats
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/24560240

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
Re: LEJOG route planning advive
« Reply #1 on: 31 August, 2017, 06:59:37 pm »
Some of that looks familar ;D

Day 1  Hills! You may be able to cross the River Fal using the Philleigh - Trelissick ferry as per the Kernow & Southwest 600.

At 192 km would you not be better of using Higher Rd on the approach to Crediton?

Day 2 I don't know what the main road after Avonmouth (109 km) is like, but my way through that maze was slow & some of the NCN was awful, possibly the worst section was at 118 km on your route, where you have no choice.

Everyone says use the eastern side of the Severn Bridge as it avoids a tunnel filled with glass.

The approach to Hereford on the A49 wasn't good (lots of fast traffic) which is why I cut through Callow and Grafton (177 - 181 km)

At 216 km you can shave a bit off you route by going through Orleton along Kitchen Hill Rd.

Day 3 I used the Warburton toll bridge to cross the Manchester Ship Canal & to avoid central Warrington (tho I see you are on some sort of cycle path).

Your approach to Warrington (143 - 144 km) could be very busy.

Pippa found a better route to the Warburton toll bridge then I did, see her route here:click.

It may be quicker to avoid the centre of Wigan & go westwards on B5206 through Billinge & Orrell.

The cycle path through Preston is decent.

Day 4 Get ready for dullness between Gretna & Moffat as you parallel the M76.

Day 5 I like the By The Way hostel in Tyndrum, but that's a few km further north than Crianlarich.

Day 6 I've never cycled over Rannoch Moor (the road into Glen Coe) but have driven it loads of times. If I were to cycle it I'd want to be in Glen Coe by 7am because it gets very busy.

Day 7 People told me the Struie Road (your first 25 km) can get busy, but I didn't have any issues.

Make sure to stop at the Crask Inn!

Ride out to Duncansby Head lighthouse, it's far more peaceful than finishing at the signpost (& is further from Land's End!).

What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #2 on: 31 August, 2017, 07:49:54 pm »
I can suggest some slight alterations to your route on Day3. It's in my locality and used it when riding the Le-Jog last year.Definately  use the Warburton Bridge and then head for Culcheth and then to Wigan. The road skirts the town centre on the way to Standish. There you have two choices, to carry on the A49 join the A6 in Preston, the other is to turn in Standish onto the A5250 that is a slightly quieter route to Preston thru Leyland. The whole area after Warburton is busy, avoid Preston during tea-time,once through Preston the A6 is quiet and flat. It won't be on your best day list but it eats a few miles and we love it up here!

« Reply #3 on: 31 August, 2017, 09:43:54 pm »
Adamski - thanks for the info. I did use your routes as a basis for mine

« Reply #4 on: 31 August, 2017, 10:41:58 pm »
Seasider - thank you

Ben T

« Reply #5 on: 01 September, 2017, 08:16:03 am »
Don't go through moretonhampstead.
I remember the A6 north of preston as being fine, can be slightly busy but not unpleasant as it's wide and plenty of decent pubs along it too.
Don't bank on the crask inn doing food. The overscaig does (at least) soup but may be too far west. I took A9 from helmsdale to JOG which didn't feel too busy but is slightly boring.

« Reply #6 on: 01 September, 2017, 08:54:50 am »
 Your ride from Crianlarich to Fort William will be frightening. I would veer west over the border and head to Ardrossan, and ferry hop to Arran, Kintyre, Lochgilphead, Oban, Mull, and then either hop fishnish-lochaline and then ride through Strontian and take the Corran ferry towards Fort William.  Or....for sheer beauty, Tobermory-Kilchoan and ride through Salen to the Corran ferry.

It might mean adding an extra day, but it will be the best 2 days of your tour by some measure.

« Reply #7 on: 01 September, 2017, 09:35:40 am »
Day 3

You can avoid the centre of Whitchurch by using the cycle path next to the rugby club and then running back into your route further up.

Winsford to Northwich on the weaver is fine but not fast and you can avoid Northwich centre too, actually this is a lovely ride but can be busy with walkers.

As Adamski says I'd avoid the A49 into  Warrington and further north - your route through Warrington includes several bridges with steps on that path - as a local to the Lymm area, this is how I'd do it, which is pretty damn close to adamski's route. Only thing to note is try and not cross Warburton Bridge at rush hour as it's a useful way for locals to avoid the carnage on the M6 Thelwall viaduct.

« Reply #8 on: 01 September, 2017, 11:09:39 am »
Your ride from Crianlarich to Fort William will be frightening. I would veer west over the border and head to Ardrossan, and ferry hop to Arran, Kintyre, Lochgilphead, Oban, Mull, and then either hop fishnish-lochaline and then ride through Strontian and take the Corran ferry towards Fort William.  Or....for sheer beauty, Tobermory-Kilchoan and ride through Salen to the Corran ferry.
+1
Eddington Number = 132

« Reply #9 on: 01 September, 2017, 02:37:36 pm »
Day 1
I strongly recommend you do not take the cycle path from Penzance to Marazion: the surface is poor/awful in places. I had not ridden the cycle path till this week (had been put off by others saying it was poor). It's poor - they have chosen a particular latticed concrete paving surface which I surmise is designed to deter people from cycling at any speed on it (certainly with road tyres).
I would recommend cutting east from Carnon Downs (km56) and taking the King Harry ferry taking you through Tregony on quiet roads (cf on and off the A39/Truro) all the way to Hewas Water/Sticker. I rode from Sticker to Penzance on Monday during a KSW600 permanent. The ferry is free and runs every 15 minutes. There is a water tap at the top of the ramp on the west side.
From Longcross (W of Mary Tavy at km 140) rather than crabbing N to Lewdown, I'd head NE through North Brentor to Lydford and then get onto the Granite Trail to Okehampton. The surface is very good.

« Reply #10 on: 01 September, 2017, 02:56:56 pm »
Day 2
I think you will get massively frustrated trying to follow the NCN Tiverton Parkway to Taunton. I would cut a mile west and pick up the canal path for the first 10km and then bite the bullet and use the A38.
Through/from Taunton there is another long canal path (both these have reasonable surfaces) going to the E of the M5 up towards Bridgwater. This is better than the zigzagging to the W of the A38.
I'd go directly N from Mark rather than NE.
I believe that the Strawberry Line trail has 'works' which means the tunnel is out - and the diversion is reportedly awful (not fit for a road bike) - see Adamski's blog. Another recent end-to-ender has said: "The only bad section I have had to deal with was the first 7 miles on today's ride out of Cheddar. There is a lot of detours on the cycle path due to maintenance/building works and a lot of the path isn't suitable for a road bike and barely suitable for a mountain bike. I thought I'd pass this on just in case anyone is passing the area in the imminent future."
You need to check this as it may affect your wider route choice.
After the Avon Bridge, my preference is to go through Hallen and Pilling (ie staying on the E side of the M5 for a while).
You won't want to do the wiggle at km127.
From Hereford, worth considering whether to stay E of A49 through Sutton St N, Saffron Cross and Kimbolton.