Author Topic: Panoramas  (Read 104649 times)

zzpza

Panoramas
« on: 23 October, 2008, 02:45:24 am »
Anyone here playing with panoramas? I've been using an application called Hugin a bit and seems to be getting some good results from it. Best of all, it's open source. :)

Here's a pic I took of Wayland's Smithy.

With a bigger version here.

Re: Panoramas
« Reply #1 on: 23 October, 2008, 08:32:54 am »
Yep, I've used Hugin (and obviously the associated PanoTools) a fair bit.  It can take a bit of effort to get a decent shot, but some can look quite good.

I like this shot of Lambeth Bridge.

The Thames is good for this sort of thing.  I've got one somewhere, that was taken a few minutes later on, from the south side looking towards Parliament.  It took me a while to realise that the same couple was visible on both "sides" of the picture.  Walking towards me on the left, and walking away on the right!

This shot of Ilfracombe would have been better, if some of the originals weren't blurred, but I didn't put it together until after I had left.

Actually, it is rocket science.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2 on: 23 October, 2008, 08:55:56 am »
I love panoramas! I'll hunt some down.
It is simpler than it looks.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #3 on: 23 October, 2008, 09:12:53 am »
Here's one of Longleat (alas with one really obvious stitch-line)

And a couple of indoor shots while testing Hugin.  Indoor panoramas are kinda cool. 

You know, a big panorama would be perfect as the anchor image for a photosynth...
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #4 on: 23 October, 2008, 10:26:29 am »
This was an indoors one I took of the new kitchen in my old house, just after it was done, and just before I flogged the place

Click for bigness

It's quite hard to get an image with this wide an angle indoors, to look acceptable.  The camera I used was a small cheap 3M one, the image could have done with some more processing to remove the jaggies on the shallow angles.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #5 on: 23 October, 2008, 12:06:50 pm »
This is a photograph of the reservoir next to Campo do Gerês in northern Portugal. 

(Click for a larger image)

And a photo of a lake basin in the Badain Jaran Desert, which unfortunately has a gap in the bottom center of the panorama.  Oh well.

(Click for a larger image)

Both images were created using Autostich, which is some free software I found on the net.  I'll have to play with Hugin to see what that can do.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #6 on: 23 October, 2008, 12:52:44 pm »
A sunset at Nairn

Larger version clickable.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #7 on: 23 October, 2008, 12:54:37 pm »
I like the fact that you can create huge images with loads of detail.

Here is Lords, before a 20:20 match

The big image is reduced by 50% from the original. Here is original detail at 100%

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #8 on: 23 October, 2008, 12:56:02 pm »
I also use panorama stitching to make up for having the wrong lens at the wrong time. Or simply expanding opportunities.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #9 on: 23 October, 2008, 12:57:12 pm »
A cricket ground cannot be captured in any other way!

This is Trent Bridge

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #10 on: 23 October, 2008, 01:16:25 pm »
I also use panorama stitching to make up for having the wrong lens at the wrong time. Or simply expanding opportunities.

You'll always end up with some clever bugger running round the back to appear twice ;)
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #11 on: 23 October, 2008, 01:29:14 pm »
Here is one of me :)

if that doesn't work here is the link http://lh6.ggpht.com/woollypigs/SQAx0wNmmnI/AAAAAAAAD4Y/c9bPgLhifwc/pano.jpg
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #12 on: 23 October, 2008, 01:43:43 pm »
Not Found
The requested URL /woollypigs/SQAx0wNmmnI/AAAAAAAAD4Y/c9bPgLhifwc/pano.jpg was not found on this server.

There seems to be lots of people trying to link to images on Google servers, and failing.  I don't know what's going on, but I'd guess that the servers have some sort of mechanism to stop people directly linking to the images.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #13 on: 23 October, 2008, 01:55:10 pm »
Looks like it: it fails there, but works if I got to it directly.  Anti-hotlinking grinchware makes me cry.

And Wooly... aiee!  You freak! :thumbsup:

« Reply #14 on: 23 October, 2008, 01:57:13 pm »
ewwww, that's scary!

« Reply #15 on: 23 October, 2008, 01:58:58 pm »
You are the Moon, and I claim my five pounds.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #16 on: 23 October, 2008, 02:04:21 pm »
Not Found
The requested URL /woollypigs/SQAx0wNmmnI/AAAAAAAAD4Y/c9bPgLhifwc/pano.jpg was not found on this server.

There seems to be lots of people trying to link to images on Google servers, and failing.  I don't know what's going on, but I'd guess that the servers have some sort of mechanism to stop people directly linking to the images.
Sometimes it works, and it is random, linux, fireflox, windows, IE, Safari, xp, crome etc it either works or not.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

zzpza

« Reply #17 on: 23 October, 2008, 02:48:39 pm »
This shot of Ilfracombe would have been better, if some of the originals weren't blurred, but I didn't put it together until after I had left.

lol, i went to school in ilfracombe!

i treat the finial pano as if it was a single exposure, so i fix the focus and exposure before i take any photos and then use the same values for them all.

This was an indoors one I took of the new kitchen in my old house, just after it was done, and just before I flogged the place

The camera I used was a small cheap 3M one...

Nevery tried an indoor pano, good idea. And yes, I can see it in the window! :D

Here is one of me :)

bravo! awesome idea.  :thumbsup:

jules.

« Reply #18 on: 23 October, 2008, 02:59:24 pm »
So how does it work? Do i just take a bunch of photos, download hugin, and then - what? How complicated is it to do?

αdαmsκι

« Reply #19 on: 23 October, 2008, 03:48:04 pm »
The photos I put up were created using autostitch:

Autostitch™ is the world's first fully automatic 2D image stitcher. Capable of stitching full view panoramas without any user input whatsoever, Autostitch is a great new technology for panoramic photography, VR and visualisation applications. This is the first solution to stitch any panorama completely automatically, whether 1D (horizontal) or 2D (horizontal and vertical).

Autostitch is incredibly simple to use! Just select a set of photos, and Autostitch does the rest: digital photos in, panoramas out. Try the free demo (for Windows)

Basically install the software, fed into the software the photos you wanna make a panorama of and the software does the rest.  The files generated from Autostitch are not high quality, but it's easy to use and I've only heard about Hugin since reading this thread.

What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

« Reply #20 on: 23 October, 2008, 03:49:50 pm »
Thanks - I can't wait to have a shot!

FyPuNK

« Reply #21 on: 23 October, 2008, 04:50:25 pm »
This was taken this year, the lake is part of Fforest Fields camping in Builth Wells. I use ArcSoft Panorama Maker 4 Pro for my pictures, I find it a stack easier than Photoshop. Four photo's was taken.

« Reply #22 on: 23 October, 2008, 05:33:20 pm »
This was one I did years ago, with a fairly useless little USB stick camera.  This original image quality isn't brilliant, so the final image isn't either, but it's not bad.  The brightness went a bit wrong just right of the centre, but there's little you can do with a camera which has only one control, the shutter button!

Rob S

« Reply #23 on: 23 October, 2008, 06:41:36 pm »
I love panos me...I can't be doing with stitching software as it usually introduces far too much ghosting and banding...I use Paint Shop Pro to join 5 or 6 pics with plenty of overlap and I can control the blend myself.

αdαmsκι

« Reply #24 on: 23 October, 2008, 06:46:40 pm »
Lovely photo of Slapton Sands.