Author Topic: Britains Heaviest Man  (Read 7635 times)

Britains Heaviest Man
« on: 06 January, 2011, 01:26:07 pm »
Did anyone see this last night?
I shall never let a pie touch my lips again (well, maybe a little one or two...)

Was intrigued to see the way they measured his weight - same way you measure the wuight of race cars, by putting scales under each of the wheels. They put scales under the four feet of the bed, then tared the weight of the bedd off.

Also good comment by the surgeon chappie - we haev been conditioned to think they even being a mildly bit peckish is wrong, and that we should have a snack to end that feeling. And of course there is an endless supply of snack foods, to fill every desire.
He said - do you see a lion int he wild just having a chipmunk to fill in the gap before it has the next antelope?

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
Re: Britains Heaviest Man
« Reply #1 on: 06 January, 2011, 01:34:21 pm »
Well, I love a good freakshow, but he was a really tragic character and it was a pretty sympathetic portrayal.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #2 on: 06 January, 2011, 09:46:31 pm »
I know the case very well.  It was an 'interesting' programme...

Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #3 on: 06 January, 2011, 09:50:37 pm »
He said - do you see a lion int he wild just having a chipmunk to fill in the gap before it has the next antelope?
Well, you might if chipmunks lived anywhere near antelopes.  ::-)
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #4 on: 07 January, 2011, 11:38:42 am »
They have chipmunks and beasties the natives call "antelopes" in USAnia but the analogy is hampered by a shortage of lions...
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Rapples

« Reply #5 on: 07 January, 2011, 11:52:59 am »
I only saw a bit of it, I kept feeling the urge to shout and throw things at the telly :demon:.

Seriously though, surely you can only get to that size with considerable support and help from other people.

Aren't they the ones to blame?

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #6 on: 07 January, 2011, 12:57:06 pm »
The gentleman concerned is now suggesting that he is going to sue the NHS for not preventing him from gaining weight.

I think the reported advice from his GP in 1996 (and I'm sure it's not the only advice he received) was perfectly sound...
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #7 on: 07 January, 2011, 01:13:17 pm »
Well, you might if chipmunks lived anywhere near antelopes.  ::-)

But lions eat as much antelope as they can when they get one.

We are, I would argue, hard wired to gorge in times of plenty, to allow for times of famine.

Unfortunately for our waistlines, Tescos, Sainsburys et al have made famine a thing of the distant past.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #8 on: 07 January, 2011, 02:15:54 pm »
Starve-and-gorge works pretty well for obligate carnivore animals.  How many differences are there between that and people?

Starve: Not likely.

Gorge: Nope, this is just grazing turned up to 11. 

Obligate Carnivore: Not we Battenburg-nomming omnivores.

Animals: I'd argue they're less subject to mental shenanigans, including addiction, depression, and deception, than any human.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Nightfly

« Reply #9 on: 07 January, 2011, 04:31:51 pm »
Didn't see the programme but have seen other pics and articles on him. He's truly depressing. Mr Creosote is svelt in comparison. He seems to be just another FLB who is desperate for attention blaming every one but himself for his condition that HE HAS CREATED. His intention to the sue the NHS is laughble. His PCT should send him a bill for attending to his condition brought on by his ignorant lifestyle choice. I wouldn't be surprised if he were sponsored by major food producers. Some where inside him is a normal sized skellington but a tiny brain ...............

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #10 on: 07 January, 2011, 04:39:34 pm »
His PCT should send him a bill for attending to his condition brought on by his ignorant lifestyle choice.

They'll send you one when you fall off your bike without body armour, then, and you'll be fine with that too?

Universal care is an important principle.  It means you even look after the whiney self-indulgent arseholes. 
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #11 on: 07 January, 2011, 04:44:24 pm »
I don't have a TV so didn't see this.
I can't begin to understand this scale of consumption.
I do understand how some well-meant advice can fall flat. Some health care professionals really don't understand their patients/clients or what lies behind their thoughts and actions.
I can understand anger at some kinds of impasse. This may well be behind his decision to sue.

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #12 on: 07 January, 2011, 05:23:41 pm »
That's just idiocy  :facepalm:
He should sue no man except him self, eating 20.000 Kcal while immobilized. :facepalm: :facepalm:
he must have eaten nonstop all day.

On the other hand, it's only 8-10 pizzas/day  :sick:

Thor

• Super-sonnicus idioticus
« Reply #13 on: 07 January, 2011, 05:31:53 pm »
I recall a similar freakshow programme from a few years ago.  The subjects were a couple of female leviathans, not quite as huge as this guy and not immobilised.

One of them arranged a stomach stapling operation and they interviewed her a little later, at which time she remarked: -
It was OK 'til I discovered you could liquidise Mars Bars

:o

::-)
It was a day like any other in Ireland, only it wasn't raining

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #14 on: 07 January, 2011, 05:37:51 pm »
I recall a similar freakshow programme from a few years ago.  The subjects were a couple of female leviathans, not quite as huge as this guy and not immobilised.

One of them arranged a stomach stapling operation and they interviewed her a little later, at which time she remarked: -
It was OK 'til I discovered you could liquidise Mars Bars

:o

::-)
IAL I worked as a nurse in Manchester. One patient had had his jaws wired to help curb his overeating. He got his wife to liquidise fish 'n' chips for him.  ??? :facepalm:
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #15 on: 07 January, 2011, 05:44:12 pm »
I really don't understand why getting so fat you cannot walk is not a self rectifying condition.

The people he should be suing are the people who were feeding him.

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #16 on: 07 January, 2011, 05:45:06 pm »

I know several people who have been given a gastric bypass.
It will only work if you are psychic prepared for it.
Some of them have only lost under 1 stone a year after, why :
Because they still eat the same crappy processed junkfood
they ate before. >:(
If the  society decides to help you, if feel you have a responsibility to
help your self too. If you don't listen to the dieticians and doctors,
nothing will happen to you weight  >:(

« Reply #17 on: 07 January, 2011, 05:47:08 pm »
I really don't understand why getting so fat you cannot walk is not a self rectifying condition.

On the program, a surgeon who is an expert in the treatment of obese people explained that this is not a self rectifying condition - he explained
that morbidly obese people like that cannot lose weight without intervention. The gist of it was that as they are immobile, any food intake will result in weight gain as they do not burn off the calories.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #18 on: 07 January, 2011, 06:10:00 pm »
And they have to keep a high level of calorie intake just for basic life support. It's not as simple as being a few stone overweight and cutting down to 1000 or 1500 calories per day and exercising.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Rapples

« Reply #19 on: 07 January, 2011, 06:58:57 pm »
It only becomes that complicated once they are immobile.  They need help to get to that point, (unless it happens as some sort of trauma I suppose).

Just the basics of getting out to buy food, cook it etc should at least be self regulating, especially if you don't give them a mobility scooter to fetch their fags ::-)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #20 on: 07 January, 2011, 07:16:21 pm »
So long as I am able to open my front door, my energy expenditure on food shopping is no greater than posting to yacf.
I have not yet acquired cetaceous proportions.

« Reply #21 on: 07 January, 2011, 07:58:44 pm »
It only becomes that complicated once they are immobile.  They need help to get to that point, (unless it happens as some sort of trauma I suppose).

Just the basics of getting out to buy food, cook it etc should at least be self regulating, especially if you don't give them a mobility scooter to fetch their fags ::-)

A very heavy aunt of mine has a mobility scooter. You can easily buy one if you have the money. She can't really exercise because of her emphysema. Her duaghter has been known to hide food from her because she "Eats like a pig and it's disgusting" She can't understand how her mum eats so much!
We have on-line delivery nowadays though, so her food supply won't be cut off. In fact, it's even easier. Not to mention all those curry and pizza delivery establishments.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #22 on: 07 January, 2011, 09:31:01 pm »
I haven't seen the programme, but if someone is so obese they are immobilised by their own size, and is being treated for this but the treatment fails because of others 'helping' and due to their own lack of 'will power', would it not make sense to treat them in some kind of supervised setting? Hospital, nursing home, etc?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #23 on: 08 January, 2011, 01:52:42 am »
His PCT should send him a bill for attending to his condition brought on by his ignorant lifestyle choice.

They'll send you one when you fall off your bike without body armour, then, and you'll be fine with that too?

Universal care is an important principle.  It means you even look after the whiney self-indulgent arseholes. 

In that case we really need to have another look at "Universal Care".

Nightfly

« Reply #24 on: 08 January, 2011, 08:25:20 pm »

Universal care is an important principle.  It means you even look after the whiney self-indulgent arseholes.  

Firstly, I don't fall off my bike unless knocked off. Secondly hospitals and their overseeing PCTs recover the cost of RTAs from insurers of the road users involved.

I think "universal care" in this instance has got to be questioned as it clearly hasn't worked. I would withdraw all support for this person except to buy them the strongest BSO on the market and placing it at the foot of their bed. "Continue as you are - you die, or ride the bike and you stand a chance of living. Which is it going to be chubby?"