Author Topic: Recommend a post mount disc brakes  (Read 4744 times)

Recommend a post mount disc brakes
« on: 24 June, 2010, 10:05:15 am »
I've replaced the forks on my Giant, and now have post mount fixings at the front end, so the somewhat dubious MPH brakes have come off, and I'm looking for recommendations for value for money post mount hydraulic discs to replace them. Any thoughts? Anyone got some spare?  ;)
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

bikenerd

Re: Recommend a post mount disc brakes
« Reply #1 on: 24 June, 2010, 10:53:52 am »
Most disc brakes are now post mount that come with an adapter to mount to IS.
I like Shimano disc brakes, they are easy to set up and bleed if/when they need it and use mineral oil which is no where near as caustic as DOT brake fluid.  SLX are good value for money - look on Chain Reaction or Merlin Cycles to find out who is cheapest.

btw, this is the Giant you bought of me isn't it?  Hope it's doing you well! :)

« Reply #2 on: 24 June, 2010, 12:07:49 pm »
Thanks Neill,and yes it is, forks were getting a a bit sticky so I've some Mazocchi Bomber XC500's to fit. The brakes (as Furan's post in "for Sale" has indicated) have been a bit temperemental, so I'm looking to replace them with something fit and (almost) forget  :)

bikenerd

« Reply #3 on: 24 June, 2010, 12:18:53 pm »
Fit and forget?  Definitely Shimano, then.  Merlin have a complete set of SLX, including the rotors (can be £20 a rotor if you don't get them with the brakes), pre bled and ready to go for £170, which is not too bad.  You should just be able to just put them on your bike and off you go.  I'm planning on getting a set for my winter single speed - once it has been resprayed.

Don't be tempted by the cheaper Deores - I have these on my SS and LX on my geared MTB and the LX ones are miles ahead in stopping power compared to the Deores.  SLX is the replacement groupset for LX, which is now a touring bike groupset.

Those Bombers should be miles ahead of the Manitous that were on the bike.  With new brakes you should be able to bomb down stuff with much more confidence!  :thumbsup:

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #4 on: 24 June, 2010, 12:40:46 pm »
Second the SLX. I installed exactly that set from Merlin on my MTB. Very good value. Note the price is for both front and rear complete system.

Only thing is I need to shorten the cables a little.

bikenerd

« Reply #5 on: 24 June, 2010, 01:36:09 pm »
Second the SLX. I installed exactly that set from Merlin on my MTB. Very good value. Note the price is for both front and rear complete system.

You can do this without having to bleed the brakes, as long as you're not too ham handed*.
You just need the pins that go in the end of the brake pipe.  Adjust the lever angle so that it is level to the ground, unscrew the pipe from the lever, cut the pipe to length, push or tap the pin into the end of the pipe, reconnect to the lever.  The surface tension of the brake fluid should keep it in the resevoir and the pipe.  I've done this a couple of times and it does really work! :)

* ham handed would be pulling the lever when the pipe is disconnected!

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #6 on: 24 June, 2010, 01:49:50 pm »
I rather like Hope brakes, but they're not cheap...

Cheaper options, I recently got a pair of Magura Julie HP for my mum's bike (to replace those Giant ones). Easy enough to fit, and seem to work nicely. Though the hose on the front is ridiculously long, I've not bothered to shorten it yet. FWIW they also use mineral oil.
About £65 per brake from Wiggle.

« Reply #7 on: 24 June, 2010, 02:27:28 pm »

You can do this without having to bleed the brakes, as long as you're not too ham handed*.
You just need the pins that go in the end of the brake pipe.  Adjust the lever angle so that it is level to the ground, unscrew the pipe from the lever, cut the pipe to length, push or tap the pin into the end of the pipe, reconnect to the lever.  The surface tension of the brake fluid should keep it in the resevoir and the pipe.  I've done this a couple of times and it does really work! :)

* ham handed would be pulling the lever when the pipe is disconnected!

I assume that the "pins" you refer to are spare parts? And what do you cut the tubing with - I have some Park Tools cable cutters in the toolbox...?

bikenerd

« Reply #8 on: 24 June, 2010, 02:52:00 pm »
Cut the tubing / pipe with either cable cutters or a sharp knife (like an Opinel).  It is just plastic - no inner braiding like in a Bowden cable outer.
The pins are these:
Shimano Olive and Insert | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com
that also includes the "olive", which I'd forgotten about.  You can sometimes salvage them put it is better to use a new one.
If you're buying from Merlin then they will have these parts, as they are an LBS.  They should be on their website somewhere or phone them up.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #9 on: 25 June, 2010, 06:59:55 am »
I got a spare olive and pin with each of the brakes.

@bikenerd - thanks for the tip - I'll give it a go.

Steve Kish

• World's No. 1 moaner about the weather.
« Reply #10 on: 16 July, 2010, 11:48:38 am »
Very happy with my Hope Tech X2.  Not cheap but very easy to maintain with simple car-like bleeding and hose cutting.  Their website is info-packed on 'how to do it' stuff.
Old enough to know better!

« Reply #11 on: 11 March, 2011, 09:43:43 am »
Well I finally managed to buy the recommended SLX brakeset - and it's now £150 at Merlin for the complete set including discs, and a quick look last evening showed that a spare insert and nipple are included with each brake.  With a couple of days off next week I may even get around to fitting new forks and brakes  :)