Author Topic: Active travel fund applications - 2nd round.  (Read 4425 times)

Re: Active travel fund applications - 2nd round.
« Reply #25 on: 23 November, 2020, 04:32:00 pm »
I wish we'd stop the consultation nonsense, there's nothing meaningful to be gleaned with them, the majority of people don't know of the existence of any consultation, and they degenerate into a battle of small special interest groups. They may look like 'engagement' but they're not, they're just a waste of time, effort, and money.

I thought the point with most of these 'emergency' measures was that the physical change was effectively the consultation.  Block off the end of a residential street and see what happens to traffic levels over the following weeks.  Re-purpose some parking bays as pavement space and see if the economy implodes.  Put in some badly-planned protected cycle lanes and see if the mistake agents unscrew the bollards, sort of thing.

That's exactly what it was but then certain elements of the press were outraged and this latest lot of funding has come with instructions from Grant Shapps that consultation must be carried out (but not to let a loud minority rule it).

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #26 on: 24 November, 2020, 12:05:12 pm »
Our cycling forum is meeting this afternoon, and there is an update on the Gloucs funding request. Will be interesting to see the views on it. I may be able to report back!
It is simpler than it looks.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #27 on: 24 November, 2020, 08:51:43 pm »
One thought put forward was that the money was largely awarded to "shovel ready" projects, also that areas that had spent Tranche 1 money were preferred in Tranche 2
It is simpler than it looks.