Author Topic: More stuff from Floyd Landis  (Read 14835 times)

Re: More stuff from Floyd Landis
« Reply #25 on: 05 July, 2010, 12:01:46 am »
....why pick on him....

Because he's worth it.  :-* :demon:

« Reply #26 on: 05 July, 2010, 12:04:20 am »
Anyone else noticed how the previously vociferous Wiggins has become a little more tempered in his opinions?

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #27 on: 05 July, 2010, 09:02:07 am »
Of course, given how many knives are out for Armstrong, it'd hardly be surprising if he expected his stored samples to be tampered with. 

Swansong tour, then he's out of your hair and off to Kona.  What will Floyd moan about next year? 
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #28 on: 05 July, 2010, 09:16:19 am »
Anyone else noticed how the previously vociferous Wiggins has become a little more tempered in his opinions?

Is that perhaps because the Sky management have him on a shorter leash?  I'm guessing that's why he's tweeting less these days.

« Reply #29 on: 05 July, 2010, 09:19:29 am »
Remember that Landis isn't just moaning. He is doing this in the full knowledge that it is sparking a federal investigation that will likely lead to him having to testify in court.

Clearly he has lied about his own innocence before but accusing somebody else is a different proposition

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #30 on: 05 July, 2010, 09:29:18 am »
Lying in court is lying in court.  The boy's an unreliable witness, unless fresh evidence presents itself.

This "using federal funds to buy droogs" angle is deliciously cynical.  It makes the whole thing sound so much more villainous than "using sponsor funds", doesn't it?
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #31 on: 05 July, 2010, 09:32:52 am »
Smell the coffee Lance-o-philes.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #32 on: 05 July, 2010, 09:53:56 am »
*chortle*

« Reply #33 on: 05 July, 2010, 10:02:02 am »
Lying in court is lying in court.  The boy's an unreliable witness, unless fresh evidence presents itself.

Except that he was lying before about his proven doping and now he is telling the truth.

Or are you suggesting that he was always innocent, mistakenly found guilty and now his admission of guilt is a lie?

:)

« Reply #34 on: 05 July, 2010, 10:14:03 am »
I think we are saying that he's proven to have lied before, so anything he says now must be taken with a very very large pinch of salt.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #35 on: 05 July, 2010, 10:18:12 am »
Right, so are you taking his admission of doping with a pinch of salt?

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #36 on: 05 July, 2010, 10:37:53 am »
Frankly I'd have trouble believing him on a current weather report.  Especially if Lance was nearby.  Landis is an Unreliable Narrator, and no silly logic games will change that.

« Reply #37 on: 05 July, 2010, 10:49:15 am »
So he was lying when he said he was innocent, and he was also lying when he said he was guilty

;D

Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day

« Reply #38 on: 05 July, 2010, 11:10:49 am »
We aren't saying that. Stop trying to twist words.

We are saying that he lied, then was caught out. So he admitted he'd lied, and then came out with very outlandish stories, and claimed "Oh, I was lying through my face before, but now I'm a little cherub of the lord and everything I say is the word of truth, as spoken by me, the ordained truthsayer, Landis."

Give it a rest, please, Flatus.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #39 on: 05 July, 2010, 11:27:36 am »
I know exactly what you are saying. You are parroting the line spun by Armstrong, Bruyneel and the UCI in their attempts to undermine Landis's credibility. Standard PR tactics, but I grant you exceptionally easy in this case as Landis's credibility is seriously undermined by his repeated denials.

I believe him though. I didn't four years ago but this is a different issue.

As LWaB says, you need to wake up and smell the coffee. There is a mountain of evidence against Armstrong, ranging from failed dope test to the testimony of the Andreus, to aAshenden pointing out that Armstrong's blood profile is dodgy as hell

That is the context in which you need to consider whatLandis is saying

« Reply #40 on: 05 July, 2010, 11:30:53 am »
You are parroting the line spun by Armstrong, Bruyneel and the UCI in their attempts to undermine Landis's credibility.
No I'm not, because I've never read it.

I've read the news articles about and interviews with Landis.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #41 on: 05 July, 2010, 11:33:43 am »
Most of the articles I've read about Landis's allegations quite naturally include the response from Armstrong and Bruyneel

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #42 on: 05 July, 2010, 11:34:13 am »
So he lied.  That much has been pretty obvious for years.

Now he has admitted he was lying.  I believe that.

And he made some allegations which would tend to tally with a lot of other circumstantial evidence.

Do I believe him because I believe he is a 'little cherub of the Lord'?  No.  And I don't believe all he's saying.  I do treat it with a degree of skepticism.  But I am reasonably sure there is some truth in what he's said.

It just doesn't follow that just because he's told lies in the past, he tells lies every time he speaks, as Lance et al would have you believe.  That's nonsense, and it would mean that probably everyone on this forum could never be trusted at all.  But nor is it right to assume that, now Landis has told the truth on one issue, he will be truthful across the board.

Newsflash: Landis is human; so is Armstrong.
Getting there...

LEE

« Reply #43 on: 05 July, 2010, 11:41:22 am »
There's a huge benefit, for all the drug-cheats, for Lance Armstrong to be found guilty of cheating as well.

It would almost wipe their slates clean, they'd be out of the cycling press and their "crimes" would be forgotten in the media frenzy surrounding Armstrong's guilt.

The "Floyd Fairness Fund" raised around $1,000,000 from fans' donations to his legal fund.  A fund used to defend his innocence in court (despite him later confessing to his own guilt).

Landis is a copper-bottomed wanker of the highest order.  He's a cheat (taking performance-enhancing drugs is one thing but taking people's money on false pretences is another), he's a liar and now, just to add insult to injury, he's now acting like a 5 year-old "Tell Tale" to make himself seem less of a wanker...FAIL.

I do feel sorry for the UCI though, they are trapped between a rock and a hard place.  If Lance was found to be a drugs cheat then, what little remains of, pro-cycling's credibility would be completly lost.  a 7 year chunk of it's history would be wiped from history as an irrelevance.  They'd have trouble selling the TdF brand after that.

I think they'd rather not find out if Lance was doping now.  He'll be gone in a year.  Destroy all his past samples, consign him to the hall of fame and move on.  

Would we really want to investigate what Eddie Merckx used to "perk him up" whilst slogging up the Tourmalet?

« Reply #44 on: 05 July, 2010, 11:43:29 am »
+20 to clarion and Lee
<i>Marmite slave</i>

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #45 on: 05 July, 2010, 11:46:07 am »
Omertà is a wonderful thing...
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #46 on: 05 July, 2010, 11:47:18 am »
…it's tyres are made out of rubber…
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

LEE

« Reply #47 on: 05 July, 2010, 11:51:26 am »
…it's tyres are made out of rubber…

:-)

The wonderful thing about Riggers.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #48 on: 05 July, 2010, 11:54:24 am »
 ;D
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #49 on: 05 July, 2010, 12:00:21 pm »
The UCI doesn't sell the TdF brand, ASO does... but you are kind of missing the point, the credibility of the sport has already been stretched to breaking point by the actions of the dopers getting caught... which is why the UCI doesn't want them caught (see the current battles between UCI vs WADA and ADFL)

German tv pulled out after Ullrich and Zabel, the French are losing interest too.  

Armstrong has become a liability for the sport.