Author Topic: Omnium & Individual Pursuit  (Read 1371 times)

Omnium & Individual Pursuit
« on: 28 March, 2010, 04:19:07 pm »
The Individual Pursuit is normally about eliminating an opponent, fastest rider in each contest wins and the actual speed isn't relevant. I know that they ride to a schedule though and try to put the other rider out of their minds. Now in the Omnium, each event counts using the  riders placings, yet they don't decide placings in the Individual Pursuit by elimination, they use the times. So it's effectively just another bike ride  ;) individual time trial. All seems a bit silly to me.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
Re: Omnium & Individual Pursuit
« Reply #1 on: 28 March, 2010, 07:30:08 pm »
It's not a pursuit though, is it? I thought it was just a kilo, with the riders going off in pairs to save time. I might have got this wrong - I was watching it this afternoon and I wasn't totally concentrating on the tv.

« Reply #2 on: 28 March, 2010, 07:41:16 pm »
Wasn't there a kilo as well ? But that's my point, they DID call it a pursuit but then used the times to get the placings with no eliminations.

« Reply #3 on: 28 March, 2010, 09:41:17 pm »
I get the sense they haven't properly figured out this omnium thing - maybe the issue they have in the Wc is trying to do all the events on one day, I think (tho' not sure) that in the Olympics the omnium events will be spread thro' the week, which would give time for a real IP event
"What a long, strange trip it's been", Truckin'

« Reply #4 on: 28 March, 2010, 09:45:11 pm »
The Olympic Omnium has  a Devil Take The Hindmost too I think.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #5 on: 29 March, 2010, 11:32:49 am »
Ed Clancy is a star though.. Imagine him and Wiggo doing commentary - so laid back it would be unintelligible to the non-brits.

'I just put everythign into it. No idea what the time was - I thought I had done quite well because everyone was cheering'. OK, a paraphrase, but such a classic response when he has just set a PB in the kilo (and become world champion).

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #6 on: 29 March, 2010, 11:58:58 am »
Ed Clancy is a star though.. Imagine him and Wiggo doing commentary - so laid back it would be unintelligible to the non-brits.

Well, I followed... UCI World Track Champs Coverage

Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #7 on: 30 March, 2010, 02:38:38 pm »
Are you talking about the final event in the Omnium? If so, it wasn't QUITE just a TT, cos they were in seeded order according to their overall position.

Hence Clancy knew he had to beat Bratko in their match to win Gold (although that wasn't necessrily sufficient on its own!*). So a BIT like an elimination format. Kinda ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #8 on: 30 March, 2010, 09:38:14 pm »
Are you talking about the final event in the Omnium? If so, it wasn't QUITE just a TT, cos they were in seeded order according to their overall position.

Hence Clancy knew he had to beat Bratko in their match to win Gold (although that wasn't necessrily sufficient on its own!*). So a BIT like an elimination format. Kinda ...

Ah yes. Since the final placing were decided by the lowest total of the placings for the other events, he had to make sure the man behind him didn't finish ahead of him. Only significant if the opponent is only one point behind or equal thoough However if both had gone really slowly and big Ed had still beaten him but come secand last int he IP on time, he'd  still have probably slipped down the overall.

so yeaj , kinda