Author Topic: Cross Training: Running  (Read 400133 times)

Re: Cross Training: Running
« Reply #1650 on: 26 April, 2017, 07:28:58 pm »
Just need to shed 1h53m and I'll be good for sub 3:15...
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #1651 on: 26 April, 2017, 09:08:57 pm »
An extra goal I want in 2017 is for my metric running Eddington number to be at least 21.

An HM (race or extended HM commute) once a month, plus one marathon (already done) and associated long training runs should get me there...

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #1652 on: 27 April, 2017, 08:10:29 pm »

Taken at Mile 16½
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

αdαmsκι

« Reply #1653 on: 30 April, 2017, 11:43:44 am »
The London marathon organisation is putting on a closed roads half marathon (The Big Half) in early March that goes from Tower Bridge to Canary Wharf, back to Tower Bridge & then through Surrey Quays to finish in Greenwich.

Despite it not being for 11 months general entries are already sold out :o I've managed to gain a space because there's some places reserved for residents of the areas the run passes through. So that's the first race for preparation for London Marathon 2018 in the diary.

What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1654 on: 01 May, 2017, 08:50:26 am »
CAPTION CONTEST:

Taken at Mile 16½

Slightly faster than the Average Joe
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

αdαmsκι

« Reply #1655 on: 13 May, 2017, 02:58:41 pm »
  :o :smug:

« Reply #1656 on: 20 May, 2017, 03:48:14 pm »
Rapid!  I managed 17:45 on a treadmill yesterday morning but was blowing out of my arse...

« Reply #1657 on: 22 May, 2017, 10:16:43 am »
At the opposite end of the scale. Used Wimbledon Common Half as a long steady run yesterday. 2:20:28, not bad for being so lardy at the moment.

That's the 5th HM or longer run of the year, so on track for my target of 12 in the year (there's another couple of Wimbledon Common Half marathons later in the year, the rest of the long runs will be extended commutes).

Will see what happen with the speed as the weight begins to drop. I was ~15 minutes quicker on the same run last year when I was 6kg lighter.

« Reply #1658 on: 22 May, 2017, 04:21:20 pm »
Training for my October marathon is going really nicely.

Had my best week last week.

Mon- 3.5m zone 2
Tues-4m zone 2
Wed-4m zone 2
Thursday- 20km tt practice on bike
Friday - Rest
Saturday - My longest run to date - a half marathon in 2hours 4 minutes
Sunday - 20km tt practice on bike.

Stretching and foam rolling each night is really helping and its the first time I have come through a consistent week of running without feeling like im hurt or about to get injured!   I am having to ice my foot now and again as I keep bruising the bone/ligament that goes to my big toe.   Loosening and changing my laces seems to have helped and I ran the half marathon without any pain.   The half was also completed fasted and I felt really strong at the end so I think I paced it well.

Bit more confident I can get through a marathon and at closer to 4 hours than I originally hoped for.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #1659 on: 14 June, 2017, 08:16:00 pm »
Was planning to run tomorrow morning but the report I was supposed to review this morning didn't come until late today (my poor team member is struggling with  migraine), so i went out in Beatrix Park in the evening heat after the conference canapes and a couple of glasses of red wine.  40:20 for 10k on MapMyRun.  if only I hadn't had that second glass of red wine.  However, suggests that the running legs are still in good nick even though its peak cycling season.  So will continue with the ambition of running the Basingstoke Canal (37 miles) this autumn.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #1660 on: 24 June, 2017, 11:17:57 pm »
Was planning to run tomorrow morning but the report I was supposed to review this morning didn't come until late today (my poor team member is struggling with  migraine), so i went out in Beatrix Park in the evening heat after the conference canapes and a couple of glasses of red wine.  40:20 for 10k on MapMyRun.  if only I hadn't had that second glass of red wine.  However, suggests that the running legs are still in good nick even though its peak cycling season.  So will continue with the ambition of running the Basingstoke Canal (37 miles) this autumn.

I too fancy running the Basingstoke canal but am nowhere near your fitness. I'd have to do it as a slowish run/walk. Probably 60% walk at current fitness.

« Reply #1661 on: 02 August, 2017, 09:34:05 am »
Hi all,

Into week five proper of training for my first marathon.   Been hitting around 20 mile weekly average since Christmas when I first started running regularly but things now ramp up to a 16 week marathon programme averaging 35 miles per week.

I am keeping the plan pretty free flowing as I am due to become a Dad for the second time any day.   I will have to fit runs around that so although I am confident I can hit the weekly mileage targets I am not sure how those runs will come.  I will always do a long run, a marathon pace 10k and a quicker 5k with most of the mills being easy runs.

Trying to cycle on days off or in the evenings after morning runs just as active recovery.   Im also foam rolling ion the evening and doing body weight exercises with stretching.   Physio booked once a month with an extra vist thrown in for the month before the marathon.

Aiming for 4 hours, currently 14stone 11 at 6ft.

Here's the plan any how....

« Reply #1662 on: 20 August, 2017, 08:29:11 pm »
Just been for an evening run down the Nidd Gorge. Stopped to chat to a chap when n the footbridge and realised I've been running that route for 1 year short of 30...

Seen some changes down there, but was pleased to see a couple of deer as i climbed away from the river

Mike

Blazer

• One too many mornings and a thousand miles behind
« Reply #1663 on: 20 August, 2017, 11:43:22 pm »
Hi TREJ,

YMMV literally but that looks a lot of miles within taper period.

Hope you don't mind me saying.

Cheers

Blazer

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #1664 on: 25 August, 2017, 02:07:27 pm »
Running plans starting to take shape. 

Managed 19:53 in the July last Friday of the Month 5k run in Hyde Park, and had a good 10 mile run on local paths last weekend averaging 4'24" per km.  Will be stuck in The Hague during the week for the rest of the year, so Mrs CET won't appreciate long cycle rides at the weekend.  So the Airnimal is parked in Holland so I can get miles in each evening during the week and my weekly run will move to Saturday mornings.  Hope to do the Dartmoor End to End on 6th January, using the 37 miles of the Basingstoke Canal as a warm up (towpath gets quite muddy in November and December)
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

Blazer

« Reply #1665 on: 25 August, 2017, 09:24:05 pm »
After the summer hiatus and 1000km on the bike (4 rides not 1), I've signed up for 2 half marathons in November.  Good to have a goal and all that.

essexian

« Reply #1666 on: 26 August, 2017, 09:07:48 am »
My local running club, Stafford Harriers, has a "Complete beginners" class starting on the 10th Sept. Speaking to a worker at the railway station yesterday while booking my train tickets for an epic bike adventure I am doing next week, she suggested that I would enjoy it and it would help with my overall fitness.

I am not so sure given that at 92kg, I think I am too heavy to run. Indeed, I struggle to run to the end of my drive let alone knock out any relevant distance. Running also brings back bad memories of cold November mornings being made to run to Tottenham Locks and back while our games teacher sat in his warm office grinning at the pain he was inflicting upon us.  >:(

Is it worth it.... on the plus side, I get to spend money on new kit   ;D  And if I did learn to run (at school I was a 100 and 200m runner. I was of a reasonable standard and ran for the school for several years. Any further than 200m however, forget it!) I might be able to do a tri, which has been on my bucket list for some time.

« Reply #1667 on: 01 September, 2017, 10:30:01 am »
Got out this week for a couple of 3-4 mile runs after a 9 week hiatus following injury.   Dawning realisation that I need to get up early and run in the morning to avoid bunking off "working" from home so much  ;). Using the runs to go and check on our sheep up at our smallholding so it's reducing our car usage too.  Biking over there on non running days whenever possible, sneaking in a detour to get an extra mile in.

« Reply #1668 on: 01 September, 2017, 03:50:54 pm »
My return to running was interrupted by lurgy of the no energy kind. Got out again yesterday evening and enjoyed the moonlight for half an hour.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

« Reply #1669 on: 03 September, 2017, 09:20:55 am »
Away on holiday last week, with more sedentary friends. Managed to get a 'quick' 10 miler in though, off road and fun. Was an it longer than I'm used to though...

« Reply #1670 on: 03 September, 2017, 02:45:59 pm »
Agh. Wimbledon Common HM in just over a month. Haven't done any meaningful running since (checks Strava) mid July. Great.

A month *should* be enough time to get in enough to finish it without having to walk so I'll just treat it as a long training run.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #1671 on: 03 September, 2017, 07:45:17 pm »
Nearly 17 miles cross-country east of Alton on Saturday, longest run of the year so far.  Was my 45th run of half-marathon distance or more so am going to try to get the number over 50 before Christmas.

Blazer

« Reply #1672 on: 03 September, 2017, 08:57:31 pm »
Nearly 17 miles cross-country east of Alton on Saturday, longest run of the year so far.  Was my 45th run of half-marathon distance or more so am going to try to get the number over 50 before Christmas.

Hi CET,

Have you considered the Meon Valley HM on the 5th November.  I think that is in your neck of the woods.

Cheers

Blazer

« Reply #1673 on: 05 September, 2017, 09:36:46 am »
Got out this week for a couple of 3-4 mile runs after a 9 week hiatus following injury.   Dawning realisation that I need to get up early and run in the morning to avoid bunking off "working" from home so much  ;). Using the runs to go and check on our sheep up at our smallholding so it's reducing our car usage too.  Biking over there on non running days whenever possible, sneaking in a detour to get an extra mile in.

D'oh - hint of pain in the groin area suggests I've not fully healed or I've started training again too hard.  Some extra rest days and slow it all down a bit might be in order.
Unfortunately I've entered a 10k XC on Sunday ::-)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #1674 on: 10 September, 2017, 10:14:47 am »

Hi CET,

Have you considered the Meon Valley HM on the 5th November.  I think that is in your neck of the woods.

Cheers

Blazer

Thanks Blazer,

I will look into it, although I'm back from a trip to the US in the middle of the week so might be a bit muddled-up on time zones. 

I added the alternate longer start via Water End to Five Lanes End into my 17.2 mile Weston Common route today to make it exactly 30km.  I'm now using Map My Run as an app to keep track of my distance and pacing, so have an American voice I've christened 'Barbara' who reminds of my speed every kilometre.  I've found that acts as a motivation so didn't start to tie up until about 26km at a speed that would have been a substantial PB for the route.  It's also my 18th 18+ mile run so my imperial Eddington number for running is now 18  :smug:

Back to The Hague tonight for work so will be back to the Airnimal that's tucked up in the hotel staff bike park during the week, with the next long run hopefully pushed out to 20 miles next Saturday.  You might have guessed that I'm really enjoying the running and I think that's because there are still new targets and fun things to do in a couple of hours, whereas I'm finding it hard to do the same on a bike.